Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > HanLin eBook

Notices

Old 11-10-2008, 05:20 AM   #1
massyah
massyah began at the beginning.

Device: None yet !
Yet Another PDF screenshots request :)

Hi everyone!

I've read most of the reviews for most of the devices available in France (PRS505, Cybook, Bebook) at a reasonable price.

I'm on the edge of buying a Bebook, for its long battery life and more importantly, its PDF Support!

Could somebody confirm this by posting some pictures of the bebook displaying this pdf :
http://www.labri.fr/perso/soueidan/p...ell_ageing.pdf

I'd interested by pictures of any page at the zoom level making it confortable to read for you... If you could give me your age too, I'd a happy and grateful fellow

Thanks a lot !
massyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 05:25 PM   #2
Gudy
Wizard
Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux (623)
Probably due to the large margins, I found the file hard to read even at the highest of the three zoom levels (landscape mode).
Gudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 08:54 PM   #3
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudy View Post
Probably due to the large margins, I found the file hard to read even at the highest of the three zoom levels (landscape mode).
That one isn't so easy to read even on my Computer. It has the crop marks still in the file and thus huge margins. The font is also fairly small.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 10:34 PM   #4
tcv
Addict
tcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enough

Maybe pictures would be worth it after all? I don't find it TERRIBLE to read on my computer and maybe the OP is OK with what the Bebook produces?
tcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 08:31 AM   #5
AlfonsVH
Addict
AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook Neo
Here you go... (sorry, the pics aren't as sharp as they should be)

The file is readable, but not easily so. Even at the maximum zoom level, the letters are very small and and thus rather uncomfortable to read—but then again, they're small on my computer screen as well. Making the margins a bit narrower would probably help.

Oh, and my eyes are 20 years old. (and I suffer from myopia, but that probably doesn't matter much)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	zoom1.jpg
Views:	699
Size:	291.7 KB
ID:	17735   Click image for larger version

Name:	zoom2.jpg
Views:	672
Size:	428.5 KB
ID:	17736   Click image for larger version

Name:	zoom3.jpg
Views:	750
Size:	279.2 KB
ID:	17737  
AlfonsVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 09:05 AM   #6
tcv
Addict
tcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enough

I have average vision. I think I could read the zoomed/landscaped one.
tcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 12:52 PM   #7
pathfinderca
Connoisseur
pathfinderca began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin V.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by massyah View Post
Hi everyone!

I've read most of the reviews for most of the devices available in France (PRS505, Cybook, Bebook) at a reasonable price.

I'm on the edge of buying a Bebook, for its long battery life and more importantly, its PDF Support!

Could somebody confirm this by posting some pictures of the bebook displaying this pdf :
http://www.labri.fr/perso/soueidan/p...ell_ageing.pdf

I'd interested by pictures of any page at the zoom level making it confortable to read for you... If you could give me your age too, I'd a happy and grateful fellow

Thanks a lot !
I have a Hanlin v2. From my experiences, pdf files are readable but a lot of words are truncated. You can zoom the text but not the pictures and graphs. If you are reading novels and texts only, Hanlin is okay. But if you have a lot of graphs in your texts, Hanlin is not the best choice.
pathfinderca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 01:14 PM   #8
massyah
massyah began at the beginning.

Device: None yet !
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfonsVH View Post
Here you go... (sorry, the pics aren't as sharp as they should be)
They are perfect, and give me a very good idea on the zoom level mechanics (and how it's not enough in this case )

I've made a script to preprocess pdf files to crop and split them in two half pages. Here is the result on the previous file
http://www.labri.fr/perso/soueidan/portrait.pdf

Would any of you have the time to recheck the readability on this file ?

Thanks a lot in advance !
massyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 02:00 PM   #9
soilwork
useR!
soilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Boox Max 2, Kobo Libra H2O, iRiver Story HD
Well, it looks like this in Sony 505 (after processed by PDFLRF)

I know this thread is about Bebook but I would like to upload these for comparison.

I converted the PDF file into LRF using PDFLRF into 1) landscape and 2) portrait and I took two photos of each. Since the lighting is poor in my room, the pictures are bit blurry but they should be recognizable.

Unfortunately, PDFLRF works only for Sony PRS but you can try PDFread which is a similar program. I did not try the program myself but I heard that it can create PRC files which can be read in Bebook.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	pdflrf-landscape-1.JPG
Views:	769
Size:	842.8 KB
ID:	17742   Click image for larger version

Name:	pdflrf-landscape-2.JPG
Views:	698
Size:	796.5 KB
ID:	17743   Click image for larger version

Name:	pdflrf-portrait-1.JPG
Views:	737
Size:	669.3 KB
ID:	17744   Click image for larger version

Name:	pdflrf-portrait-2.JPG
Views:	782
Size:	688.3 KB
ID:	17745  
soilwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 02:11 PM   #10
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soilwork View Post
I know this thread is about Bebook but I would like to upload these for comparison.

I converted the PDF file into LRF using PDFLRF into 1) landscape and 2) portrait and I took two photos of each. Since the lighting is poor in my room, the pictures are bit blurry but they should be recognizable.

Unfortunately, PDFLRF works only for Sony PRS but you can try PDFread which is a similar program. I did not try the program myself but I heard that it can create PRC files which can be read in Bebook.
If you really want to show a comparison you should have showed the Sony displaying the PDF. Certainly, once converted to a different format, they look different.

Dale
Old 11-11-2008, 02:28 PM   #11
soilwork
useR!
soilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
If you really want to show a comparison you should have showed the Sony displaying the PDF. Certainly, once converted to a different format, they look different.

Dale
May be I should have phrased better but 'comparison of native PDF support' is not my main intention. It is more like showing the best PDF result you can get with Sony machine within my knowledge.

I never use Sony's built-in PDF support and I would not recommend the feature unless the person is interested in text only PDF. I did not see any point in comparing a feature that never used (or better left unused)
Old 11-11-2008, 06:44 PM   #12
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by soilwork View Post
May be I should have phrased better but 'comparison of native PDF support' is not my main intention. It is more like showing the best PDF result you can get with Sony machine within my knowledge.

I never use Sony's built-in PDF support and I would not recommend the feature unless the person is interested in text only PDF. I did not see any point in comparing a feature that never used (or better left unused)
OK, but that was the purpose of this thread so your comments were totally off topic. But I guess you knew that and had some other purpose in interrupting this thread.

Dale
Old 11-11-2008, 08:06 PM   #13
soilwork
useR!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
OK, but that was the purpose of this thread so your comments were totally off topic. But I guess you knew that and had some other purpose in interrupting this thread.

Dale
If the person's main interest is reading PDFs regardless of whether through built-in functionality or through conversion program, I think it will be helpful to know that there are other possible options to think about before making purchase.

Of course, if OP is only willing to read PDF using built-in functionality, my post will be totally irrelevant and he/she can safely ignore. However, since OP used some python script to slice PDF, I assumed that OP is willing to invest some time/effort to convert not only relying on built-in functionality. In such cases, my post can be relevant, I think.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:01 PM   #14
AlfonsVH
Addict
AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook Neo
Quote:
Originally Posted by massyah View Post
I've made a script to preprocess pdf files to crop and split them in two half pages. Here is the result on the previous file
http://www.labri.fr/perso/soueidan/portrait.pdf

Would any of you have the time to recheck the readability on this file ?

Thanks a lot in advance !
No worries, here you go!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	zoom1.jpg
Views:	587
Size:	623.9 KB
ID:	17766   Click image for larger version

Name:	zoom2.jpg
Views:	599
Size:	1.48 MB
ID:	17767   Click image for larger version