Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-19-2013, 06:06 AM   #16
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD8
Not very impressed with the new look, like many sites they assume everyone uses a touch screen

The book covers are far too big, I can only fully see 4 books on a screen

If the search now works better then I don't mind to much as I usually search for a book to compare prices, for browsing for books it's a step backwards, IMO
paulsalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 06:10 AM   #17
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsalter View Post
Not very impressed with the new look, like many sites they assume everyone uses a touch screen
(Almost) Everyone does - but those touch screens are on their phones, while the site looks optimized for that tiny minority of people using tablets.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 12:25 PM   #18
delph
Tabby
delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Mini, Lenovo Yoga 2 10"
I like the 'Items Eligible for Promo Codes' button in the search. That helps since they don't have the suggested retail and their price listed anymore unless you view the detail on a book. I actually like the bigger covers, but I'm browsing on a 11.6" netbook right now. If I were going to browse on my tablet, I'd likely just use the app rather than a mobile version of the site. I'm not sure why I like the bigger covers, since I don't generally judge a book that way unless it's an exceptionally cheesy cover.

I wish they'd add a way to view my wishlist from the website and not just from my reader.

Last edited by delph; 07-19-2013 at 12:28 PM. Reason: forgot that my newer netbook has a bigger screen
delph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 01:56 PM   #19
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
I still see the old site on my computer, but I see the new one on the iPad. I do not like the new site one bit
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 03:04 PM   #20
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
I still see the old site. I'm interested in the URL that the "discountable books" button sends you to. Could someone post that please?
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 03:24 PM   #21
Corpsegoddess
Groupie
Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
There is a filter for "Items Eligible For Promo Codes" -- excellent.

There no longer seems to be any indication whether a book is DRM-free -- terrible.

(I'm looking at th Kobo UK site, my local site hasn't had the update yet.)
Where is that filter--how do you get to it?
Corpsegoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 05:31 PM   #22
jiminrussell
JimInRussell
jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: kobo Aura One, Forma, Elipsa, Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corpsegoddess View Post
Where is that filter--how do you get to it?
For me at least it seems to be hit or miss, it is there for some categories and not for others. When it is there it is on the left, where the category and language selections are.

This new web site doesn't appear to be quite ready for prime time.

Edit: added screen shot
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	new kobo promo codes selection.png
Views:	262
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	108369  

Last edited by jiminrussell; 07-19-2013 at 05:34 PM.
jiminrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:38 PM   #23
Corpsegoddess
Groupie
Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminrussell View Post
For me at least it seems to be hit or miss, it is there for some categories and not for others. When it is there it is on the left, where the category and language selections are.

This new web site doesn't appear to be quite ready for prime time.

Edit: added screen shot
Thank you--that will make it easier to keep my eye out for it. It's something I've wanted there for a while--we'll see how this implementation goes.
Old 07-20-2013, 04:00 PM   #24
ppowell002
Connoisseur
ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.

Device: kobo glo hd
Not sure how I feel about it yet. Disappointed the reviews are missing. They were directly below the synopsis.
ppowell002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 04:10 PM   #25
ppowell002
Connoisseur
ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.

Device: kobo glo hd
I like the 'Items Eligible for Promo Codes' button in the search

I don' see that. The only search function I see is the standard search bar; no option for advanced search. Am I missing something?
ppowell002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 04:22 PM   #26
georginae
georginae began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
I could only see the new site after clearing the cache on my browser (which the support team had me do when they messed up a couple of days ago)

Personally I am finding it hard to navigate, I can't seem to find the old reading lists anywhere, which I liked to look at instead of trawling through all the fiction. I do like the promo code option, but I wish it was always available, I'd like to be able to see all the fiction eligible for instance instead of going into each sub genre.
georginae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 06:13 PM   #27
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppowell002 View Post
Not sure how I feel about it yet. Disappointed the reviews are missing. They were directly below the synopsis.
Though not surprising as the reviews were from Goodreads which is now partof Amazon.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:57 PM   #28
Corpsegoddess
Groupie

Not that the "not interested" and "already read it" ever consistently worked, but I seem to be missing any sort of interface in terms of interacting with Kobo's suggestions for me.

Again, the suggestions have always been a bit "meh", but now they're just going to completely sit there without me being about to do anything about them.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:11 AM   #29
jmilica
Banned
jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Though not surprising as the reviews were from Goodreads which is now partof Amazon.
Google Play however kept reviews, it seems not to care about Amazon, so far.
jmilica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 12:38 PM   #30
Suzanna
Living in the past
Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Arc
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmilica View Post
Google Play however kept reviews, it seems not to care about Amazon, so far.
"So far" is the operative phrase. Kobo still has the Goodreads reviews on the old version of the site as well. It makes sense that when building a new site they'll try to keep as much of the future (what little can be predicted) in mind. I think it only makes sense that Kobo wouldn't want to rely on an Amazon-owned site for its reviews. I'll be curious to see if other ebook sites that rely on Goodreads for their reviews keep that connection once the sale is finalized. (When is that, btw?)
Suzanna is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobo books, rdlecoeur