Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-12-2008, 11:37 AM   #31
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidzebra View Post
Did you re-upload the images? They look better now. Or my eyes are more/less tired than the first time I looked.

Also, I've been reading too much original manga lately, I keep trying to read your comic from right-to-left!
Yes, I re-uploaded, and noted that above.

I know what you mean about the right-to-left habit. I actually started writing it that way, but I wasn't confident enough that I'd be able to do a good job with the dialogue/panel flow, so I switched to left-to-right format (and immediately caught a dialogue balloon error). I still have mixed feelings about the direction of the pages, because I'd rather keep the format as authentic as possible, but I think I'm safest to stay with left-to-right for now.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 11:51 AM   #32
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
as long as we know which is page 1 and which is the last page, with a few hints of those in-between - i'm sure those of us intelligent enough to tie our own shoelaces will be able to cope .... :sanitylapselikelytolastaweewhile:
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 12:06 PM   #33
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
you obviously spent a lotta time on that, it's wonderful...
as to the goof, well all i can say is that it's (to me) not immediately obvious,
but I have a couple of possibles :

number of digits on the hand...
belt on the sailor to the left looks a little "square" to its waist...
Everyone knows that mice only have four fingers. I mean ... really.

You are correct about the belt ... I could never get that the way I liked it, but that's not the goof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stxopher View Post
Well, it's obvious, isn't it? The sailor in the back is wearing a shirt made of nylon when everyone knows they really only wear cotton (or other natural fibers) when dressing.

Make that two errors. From the placement of the subjects it's almost impossible to see that the parrot is holding a knife and is about to take out the captain before he can reach the pistol (the signal being when the "Macarena" stops playing).

Orrrrr, I could be completely clueless. Let's go with the clueless option, shall we?
Clueless would be good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
Beautiful image! I don't know which "error" you're talking about, though I'm having a bit of trouble parsing what the captain's left hand is doing.

I can always think of things I'd improve or change about the pages of the manga, but I sort of see it as a work in progress, so I just keep going. The illustration style itself tends to be less fussy than the photorealistic style you were working in, I think. (Lighting, in particular, is a lot easier.)
Agreed ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
by eck these suspenders are killing me ......
Quote:
Oh, WELL!

Yeah, I'm kinda wondering, too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidzebra View Post
Did you re-upload the images? They look better now. Or my eyes are more/less tired than the first time I looked.

Also, I've been reading too much original manga lately, I keep trying to read your comic from right-to-left!

As for "Hall of the Pirate King", the only think I can spot offhand is some of the lighting and shadows seems a bit out of whack. For the rest it looks great.
No, I'm satisfied with the shadows ... those are properly generated based on the lighting as a whole.

Are we all ready for the big reveal??? One of the chair legs (visible under the table and closest to the viewer) has upholstry on it. It's supposed to be wood ... the model didn't map quite right. I need to go back in ... remap the chairs and then do what they call a "plop" render to correct it.

And .... I may take on fighting with the first mate's belt again. We'll see.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 12:19 PM   #34
GeoffC
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

upholstered chair legs, i thought that was normal winter-wear in your part of the world ..... :crazyasacoothenmissingthelake:
Old 08-12-2008, 04:01 PM   #35
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
Are we all ready for the big reveal??? One of the chair legs (visible under the table and closest to the viewer) has upholstry on it. It's supposed to be wood ... the model didn't map quite right. I need to go back in ... remap the chairs and then do what they call a "plop" render to correct it.
I actually looked at the chair legs (to see if one didn't line up or something), so I guess something about them caught my eye, but I didn't see this until you pointed it out.
Old 08-22-2008, 11:42 PM   #36
nekokami
fruminous edugeek

Page 8 is finally up. Not that the plot advances that much, but guess who has finally appeared?

I had to stop and design the private garden the action is taking place in, and build it in Daz Studio, because the scenes looked too blank without that background. Then I had to split up the file, because my system doesn't have enough memory to handle the whole garden at once without crashing. I tried Carrara instead of Daz Studio, but couldn't get the fixed-width outlines without spending $70 for a plugin. (I also used Google Earth to generate some skyline images which appear in some backgrounds.)

I should have a couple more pages done this weekend now that I have the garden setting to work in.
Old 08-23-2008, 04:14 PM   #37
nekokami
fruminous edugeek

Page 9 is up. Maybe another page tonight. (I'd really like to finish this chapter this weekend, but we'll see how it goes....)
Old 08-24-2008, 10:41 AM   #38
nekokami
fruminous edugeek

Page 10 is up... or at least a draft of it.

I think I need to do something to make the shuriken blurry, as if spinning.
Old 08-27-2008, 10:18 PM   #39
nekokami
fruminous edugeek

Page 11 is up. (Is anyone still reading?)

I think there are about 3 pages more to this chapter, then I'll revise and post PDF and CBZ versions. (If anyone still wants them.)
Old 08-28-2008, 01:21 AM   #40
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Yep, - what happens next??

Nekokami.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 02:34 AM   #41
GeoffC

Quote:
Most certainly....
Old 08-28-2008, 07:47 AM   #42
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
i am too !
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 09:27 AM   #43
nekokami
fruminous edugeek

Thanks, all. I just wonder, sometimes.

Page 12 will probably be up tonight, and the rest of this chapter should go more quickly because I don't have complicated backgrounds and positioning to manage (my 3d software kept crashing due to the large file size of some of the scenes in the garden, and was extraordinarily slow even when it wasn't crashing, meaning I could get one panel done per night if I was lucky.)

The dialogue for Chapter 2 is already written, and it also doesn't involve much in the way of complex backgrounds, so I'm hoping it will go more quickly (especially as my graduate semester starts next week).
Old 08-28-2008, 11:15 PM   #44
nekokami
fruminous edugeek

Page 11 has been revised for clarity, based on some feedback received. Thanks!
Old 08-29-2008, 02:47 AM   #45
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
I, for one, am loving it Neko!
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote