Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-24-2012, 10:32 AM   #1
sogeking90
sogeking90 can illuminate an eclipsesogeking90 can illuminate an eclipsesogeking90 can illuminate an eclipsesogeking90 can illuminate an eclipsesogeking90 can illuminate an eclipsesogeking90 can illuminate an eclipsesogeking90 can illuminate an eclipsesogeking90 can illuminate an eclipsesogeking90 can illuminate an eclipsesogeking90 can illuminate an eclipsesogeking90 can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo Glo
problem with converting Mobi to ePub, won't read right.

I added my MOBI files to calibre, and pressed send to main device memory. The books look fine when I double click them in calibre but when I open it on my Kobo Glo it shows a white page with the top right corner folded, says it is at 99% and it makes my Kobo very slow while it is open (have to press home several times to get out of it).

Any idea how to fix this?

EDIT: This seems to be any Epub file I am adding. I tried adding a Epub with calibre that did not need converting and I am having the same problem?

Last edited by sogeking90; 12-24-2012 at 10:50 AM.
sogeking90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 01:30 PM   #2
46jimbo
Zealot
46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: Kobo Touch + Kobo Aura
As we do not know the source of these files, why not run them through Calibre's conversion process anyway. And yes, you can convert an epub to an epub with Calibre.
46jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 07:01 PM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
A similar problem with mobi files was reported a month or so ago. The poster had some that worked perfectly and some that did what you describe. I tried pulling the, apart to see what the difference was and couldn't see anything. Converting them to ePub worked for all the books. I would recommend you do that.

I'm an surprised that you are having a similar problem with the ePub. That isn't something I have seen. I would be interested to see the epub to try and work out what is wrong. The first thing I would try is opening it in Sigil to see what errors it reported. But, I would also try an epub-to-epub conversion in calibre. There is a good chance this would clean-up any coding errors in the book.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 07:50 PM   #4
GadgetMan
Banned
GadgetMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GadgetMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GadgetMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GadgetMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GadgetMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GadgetMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GadgetMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GadgetMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GadgetMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GadgetMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GadgetMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles, iPads, Kobo, Nexus 7 and many others
IMHO.. why don't folks just leave the ereader they buy stock (Virgin) rather than trying to make something out of it that it's not.. I just bought a Kobo Glo and would not think about using it other than that.. Mine works great just using it as it was meant to be.. I hear lot's of problems with people that try to do this and that rather just use 100% Kobo.. hey.. if you own a Kindle (as I do) and try to shove all the books on a Kobo or others, you are asking for problems.. plain and simple.. why not just buy or use multiple devices.. ? these ereaders are cheap! I hope this makes sense..
GadgetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 09:00 PM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetMan View Post
IMHO.. why don't folks just leave the ereader they buy stock (Virgin) rather than trying to make something out of it that it's not.. I just bought a Kobo Glo and would not think about using it other than that.. Mine works great just using it as it was meant to be.. I hear lot's of problems with people that try to do this and that rather just use 100% Kobo.. hey.. if you own a Kindle (as I do) and try to shove all the books on a Kobo or others, you are asking for problems.. plain and simple.. why not just buy or use multiple devices.. ? these ereaders are cheap! I hope this makes sense..
If you read above, they have not done anything that is not supported by the device and is not in the ways Kobo say you can use the device. The Glo supports reading mobi files. The device supports sideloading books. The device supports ePub books. This is part of Kobo strategy for selling the devices. The problem is that the mobi support is not the best. Some mobi files work well, some don't. Converting them to ePub usually works better. And ePub is very well supported by Kobo on their devices.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:39 PM   #6
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
If you read above, they have not done anything that is not supported by the device and is not in the ways Kobo say you can use the device. The Glo supports reading mobi files. The device supports sideloading books. The device supports ePub books. This is part of Kobo strategy for selling the devices. The problem is that the mobi support is not the best. Some mobi files work well, some don't. Converting them to ePub usually works better. And ePub is very well supported by Kobo on their devices.

Well said. This is exactly what it is advertised to do.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:54 PM   #7
GadgetMan
Banned
GadgetMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GadgetMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GadgetMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GadgetMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GadgetMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GadgetMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GadgetMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GadgetMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GadgetMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GadgetMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GadgetMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Well said. This is exactly what it is advertised to do.

Don
Well.. I called Kobo support and they informed me that if you want less troublesome issues with the Kobo device is to leave it as it came out of the box.. most of their warranty issues revolve around owner modifications not applicable to the standard device..
DG
Old 12-26-2012, 10:01 PM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Well.. I called Kobo support and they informed me that if you want less troublesome issues with the Kobo device is to leave it as it came out of the box.. most of their warranty issues revolve around owner modifications not applicable to the standard device..
I would love to know what they are referring to. From discussion on this forum, warranty issues have been from simply trying to use the device. And none of the things discussed in this thread alter the device in any way. Well, except for putting books onto the device to read. And that is what the device is for, isn't it?
Old 12-26-2012, 10:10 PM   #9
GadgetMan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I would love to know what they are referring to. From discussion on this forum, warranty issues have been from simply trying to use the device. And none of the things discussed in this thread alter the device in any way. Well, except for putting books onto the device to read. And that is what the device is for, isn't it?
Give them a call.. I'm just repeating what they told me when I asked them if it was advisable to download books etc from other carriers.. I have Kobo Glo and itbworks perfect.. no way would I try not to leave it as it came out of the BOX..
DG
Old 12-26-2012, 10:13 PM   #10
GadgetMan
Banned

P.S. putting Chevy engines in Fords doesn't work great..
Old 12-26-2012, 10:57 PM   #11
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Give them a call.. I'm just repeating what they told me when I asked them if it was advisable to download books etc from other carriers.. I have Kobo Glo and itbworks perfect.. no way would I try not to leave it as it came out of the BOX..
DG
I am not going to waste my time calling them as I can read the information on the web site describing their ereaders. The devices are designed to read any ePub from any source. They are designed to read PDF, CBR and several other formats. The devices are designed to allow sideloading of books from lots of sources. They state this on the site. "Load up library eBooks" or "A more personal library" are both sections that describe this.

If you talk to a Kobo support person again and they say this, please ask to talk to their supervisor so that they can be set straight.

And I have talked to Kobo personnel about this. Not the first level support, but others in the company.

Quote:
P.S. putting Chevy engines in Fords doesn't work great..
Well, I have seen at least one Ford with a Chevy engine in it. But, the main reason for not doing it is that car people tend to be Chevy or Ford or whatever brand. In Australia, that is Holden or Ford. And never the twain shall meet except over a few beers and a lot of argument.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:53 PM   #12
GadgetMan
Banned

Hi.. all they were saying was if you use the Kobo as designed you will have less tech problems.. which makes sense.. and which I agree.. but side-loading etc MAY cause some frustration until you get it figured out.. I love my Kobo and have now bought 5 books online with no problems from them.. hey.. if you can make it work with other formats and no hassle great..I don't want any hassles.. LOL.. the old saying.. KISS (keep it simple stupid).. just my 3 cents.. all is good..
DG
Old 12-28-2012, 12:44 AM   #13
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Last thing I'll say on this.

Please read everything said in this thread. NOTHING has been advised that is NOT in the design of the device. As you obviously don't believe me, read the manual published by Kobo on their site. It tells you how to do these things. If that doesn't mean that the device is designed for this function, what does.

And as you think reading kepubs is the only way to avoid frustration, there are lots of reports about problems getting them onto the device. I have had to do at least one factory reset to get the kepubs loaded correctly.