Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-02-2009, 03:54 AM   #1
pinboke
pinboke began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-700
Help me! My PRS-700 is frozen at the Starting Up... screen.

I am a total newbie on this instrument and yet did a dumb thing last night.
I tried to flash the firmware with some untested utf-8 fonts in it using the flasher going around in the forum for a while. The flashing went through without any problem and when it restarted, the machine stopped at this Starting Up... screen. It did not connect to the usb of my PC, so I have no way of reformatting the main memory or do anything that uses the usb connection. I have tried to hard reset it by pushing reset hole and then pushing the power switch twice. It went through, and yet the Starting Up... screen came out again. I know this is a hard question to answer, but is there any way to turn the machine back to the original firmware? Or, is there any way to make it connect to the PC's usb outlet? I have already tried to recharge it, I have waited for more than 30 minutes to see if it connects to the usb and nothing worked so far. The machine is pristine clean and this firmware thing I have done has made everything so miserable. The prs-700 gave me so much joy of reading that I feel quite regretful for that stupid curiosity. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
pinboke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 01:46 PM   #2
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Oh, no! I dread the day when something happens to my reader and I am stuck trying to figure it out. Especially, since I am a non techie person.

Patricia has a sticky in the 500/505 trouble shooting thread about resets, maybe this would help?

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21337

I hope you get this figured out.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2009, 07:19 PM   #3
pinboke

Thanks, dreams,

I have looked through the thread you have referred. Unfortunately, my problem seems more severe than that. I could reset the device, but it restarted and showed the same 'Starting Up...' screen again. USB connection did not work. Bootup sequence did not go any further.
Old 08-02-2009, 11:00 PM   #4
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
I've solve this problem by connecting the device, then using Windows Explorere to delete the cache.xml file.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 01:04 AM   #5
pinboke

Thanks, doreenjoy.
In my case, the computer does not see the usb connection at all. I cannot look into the reader's memory space in the first place, let alone deleting the cache.xml file.
Advert
Old 08-07-2009, 05:15 PM   #6
komugi
Zealot
komugi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.komugi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.komugi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Surface Pro 3, HTC 10, Kobo Aura H2O
Time to RMA. You probably bricked the device.
komugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 11:59 PM   #7
pinboke

Thanks, friends. I have exchanged it with a refurbished one. It has been a valuable and yet costly lesson to me.
Old 08-09-2009, 01:14 AM   #8
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinboke View Post
Thanks, friends. I have exchanged it with a refurbished one. It has been a valuable and yet costly lesson to me.
I am glad that you were able to get another 505, but so sorry you weren't able to get a solution to the problem other than the exchange.

Thank you for returning to post what the result was.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote