Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 05-04-2013, 04:26 PM   #1
lulalullah
Enthusiast
lulalullah began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Is it the right time to buy a GlowLight?

I'm really tempted with the GlowLight at £69 (UK offer for Mother's day). Would someone care to guess if these drop in prices from B&N could be the signal that they will launch an improved lighted e-reader soon? I have a NST and would like an e-reader with integrated lighting but don't want to invest in one if there will be an improved version in a couple of months time. I'm more interested in lighting evenness rather than improved DPI or screen resolution because I'm happy with what the NST provides. I don't know if the technology on this point has improved as I haven't spotted anything on that subject in a while. Thanks for your thoughts.
lulalullah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:27 AM   #2
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
I think a new device with a glowlight will be coming very soon. Whether you wait or not would depend, I think, on how much you are tempted by the discount price. If you wait, they will probably be coming out with an improved model. The screen lighting might be improved too, not just the resolution, which you don't care so much about. But, you'll pay more for that newer model, I'd guess, although sometimes new models have lower prices than at least the regular price of earlier models. Me, I'd wait!
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2013, 04:41 PM   #3
lulalullah
Enthusiast

Thank you very much RAH for giving me your point of view. Indeed, the discounted pricing is what I find attractive. I like the Nook reader because I find that it is physically well designed (position of physical page turning buttons, rubberized border -and back-, single tap to turn pages instead of a swipe making it easy to operate with just one hand only). I am also reluctant to invest in a new cover if I had to change brand.

I was hoping that the technology would improve after the GlowLight and its integrated LEDs but all major e-readers manufacturers such as Amazon, Sony, Kobo and Bokeen went the same route with only marginal improvement on lighting evenness. Since then, I've not read of any other new technology coming from screen manufacturers so I tend to think that there isn't something dramatically different soon.

I also find it puzzling that B&N would give such discounts for the UK only and wonder if they just want to get rid of their overseas stock to refocus on the US only, seeing that their business didn't perform as well as expected.

Anyhow, I was very appreciative for your comments .
Old 05-06-2013, 05:04 PM   #4
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
If you want the best possible ereader and the price isn't too important then wait, otherwise, just go for it, as you won't get the chance to buy another brand new lighted ereader at such a low price. And there will always be a newer, improved ereader just a matter of months away.

There are definitely improvements to the lighting, marginal yes, but they are there (though how much probably depends on your own perceptions and just how picky you want to be! Plus, how many people can and will compare the reader they have bought with another model? Just buy one and you will probably be happy with it!).

The Glowlight isn't quite as good as either the Kobo Glo or the Kindle Paperwhite, both have improved the quality of the light, the screen contrast & resolution, plus the lights are at the bottom of the reader and not the top (which is better when you think of the angle you normally read at). Even in a shorter timespan and within the same company you can see another improvement with Kobo, they've now released the Aura and it's slightly better than the Glo despite the Glo being less than a year old.

As for why there's such a big reduction, who knows. Could be that they aren't ready to refocus on the US only, but are taking a gamble at getting their product known in the UK (where Amazon and the Kindle really dominate, and most people have probably never heard of Nook or Barnes & Noble).

Last edited by soulfuldog; 05-06-2013 at 05:11 PM.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:56 PM   #5
lulalullah
Enthusiast

Hi l_macd, thanks for your reply. You gave me lots to think on the subject. I will wait until June to see what B&N has in store as to a new e-reader.
Advert
Old 05-10-2014, 08:08 AM   #6
cynvision
cynvision began at the beginning.

Device: nook
What is the status of color e-ink? I seem to remember CES in Vegas 2012 and they were showing it off. I really wanted to wait for it before jumping ship from the original Nook I held on to. I bought time to wait by buying a new battery in 2013 but haven't heard which vendor is going to step up and back the technology. Surely in two years they've gone somewhere with improving it.
cynvision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 10:39 AM   #7
dandelioncottage
Abibliophobe
dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 2 64 gb, Nook Glowlight, iPad 4 (128 gb)
The Glowlight is discounted in the US too, $99 until Sunday. I took the plunge and am liking it so far. I can't really compare it to previous models, as it's my first e-reader (I have a Nook HD, but wanted something smaller and lighter to carry in my purse).

I do notice small spots that are "lighter" than the rest of the screen. Is that what you mean by "lighting evenness"? A friend said hers does the same thing, but it doesn't really bother either of us.

It actually didn't occur to me that the discount was to make room for a new ereader; I just thought it was a Mother's Day promotion. I guess only time will tell if a new ereader is in the works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulalullah View Post
I'm really tempted with the GlowLight at £69 (UK offer for Mother's day). Would someone care to guess if these drop in prices from B&N could be the signal that they will launch an improved lighted e-reader soon? I have a NST and would like an e-reader with integrated lighting but don't want to invest in one if there will be an improved version in a couple of months time. I'm more interested in lighting evenness rather than improved DPI or screen resolution because I'm happy with what the NST provides. I don't know if the technology on this point has improved as I haven't spotted anything on that subject in a while. Thanks for your thoughts.
dandelioncottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 03:08 PM   #8
lulalullah
Enthusiast

Hi dandelioncottage,

I'm glad you like it. I do like mine too and don't regret the purchase at all although I had to exchange mine due to the infamous pinprick problem. The one I got back is perfect.

I meant by "lighting evenness" the fact that the led beams are a bit visible on the top, where they are located. After usage, it's not a problem at all and I don't even remember that they existed.

Last edited by lulalullah; 06-02-2014 at 05:09 PM.
Old 06-02-2014, 03:39 PM   #9
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I just picked one up in John Lewis for £49, plus a stand case for £5 for NookUK. I know it's not the most advanced reader as I have a Paperwhite 2 and a Kobo Aura I just wanted it for the SD card and the buttons. I really like it and I think it's going to be perfect for bedtime reading as I used to use a Kindle Keyboard at night, swapped that for the Aura but really missed the buttons a lot.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 05:18 PM   #10
lulalullah
Enthusiast

Hi Josieb1,

I appreciate your feedback. I'm curious about your opinion as to your preference in terms of lighting between the three of them. I know that the Glowlight has its defaults but truthfully, I don't notice or remember them.

As to the cover, I have the "Industriell Easel Cover". I prefer the easel format to the book flip and and also because it's light too.
Old 06-05-2014, 01:22 PM   #11
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hi Josieb1,

I appreciate your feedback. I'm curious about your opinion as to your preference in terms of lighting between the three of them. I know that the Glowlight has its defaults but truthfully, I don't notice or remember them.

As to the cover, I have the "Industriell Easel Cover". I prefer the easel format to the book flip and and also because it's light too.
For a two year old device I think the light is very good, mine is perfect, no pin holes or issues at all.

I took some pictures, it's light outside so I closed my curtains to get some degree of darkness, in the pictures the PW1 is top left, PW2 top right, with the Nook bottom right and the Aura bottom left. In the picture the Paperwhites are on 15 and the Aura at half it's setting, the Glow is still on maximum.

Edited because as usual only one photo posts!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	894.1 KB
ID:	123704  
Old 06-05-2014, 01:25 PM   #12
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

This is the other photo with all devices lights on maximum
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	892.5 KB
ID:	123705  
Old 06-05-2014, 01:29 PM   #13
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Hi Josieb1,
I ordered that one too, it's nice and I wanted a stand, but as i only paid £5 for it I saw this one on Amazon for £7.50 so ordered that too.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 06-05-2014, 04:58 PM   #14
lulalullah
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
For a two year old device I think the light is very good, mine is perfect, no pin holes or issues at all.

I took some pictures, it's light outside so I closed my curtains to get some degree of darkness, in the pictures the PW1 is top left, PW2 top right, with the Nook bottom right and the Aura bottom left. In the picture the Paperwhites are on 15 and the Aura at half it's setting, the Glow is still on maximum.

Edited because as usual only one photo posts!

Thanks a bunch for taking the time to shoot the pictures. It's helpful to better envision the differences although I understand that ambient lighting infers with the rendering of the images. I find from the pictures that the Nook fares quite well actually. Do you have a preference?

Last edited by lulalullah; 06-05-2014 at 05:06 PM.
Old 06-05-2014, 05:03 PM   #15
lulalullah
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
I ordered that one too, it's nice and I wanted a stand, but as i only paid £5 for it I saw this one on Amazon for £7.50 so ordered that too.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
How's the weight of the striped cover compared to the Carbon easel? Is it bulkier? I have a M-Edge GO! Jacket for Nook Touch (in red, last year collection) and find it quite heavy and more cumbersome.

I'm glad you had the Carbon for £5 only. At this price, it's a steal. I would have bought a couple more to stock up. I bought mine around $20.