Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-04-2008, 12:23 PM   #16
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
And after that you can go spend a few hours charging the battery while we read our books.
No, I can spend a few minutes charging the battery, and read while I'm doing it.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 01:04 PM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
... while us Gen3 owners, should we be in the highly improbable position of running out of battery power, can simply slip in another user-replaceable battery and carry right on ...

HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2008, 01:12 PM   #18
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
La-la-la -- nobody's hearing nothing!
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 02:53 AM   #19
angel66
angel66 began at the beginning.

Device: Acrobat Reader
Listening to audio books makes my downtime much more productive. An example is on the commute to work. Instead of listening to mindless radio, I prefer to listen to an audio book. I work closely with my customers and I enjoy audio books on business and relationships. Since I started listening to the audio books on my commute, my productivity and bottom line have really taken off
angel66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 12:42 PM   #20
Razi
Zealot
Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba E740, Cassiopeia, iLiad, iPad, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
I use Nokia Audiobook Player on my N95i. Excellent stuff. It reduces the MP3 files to one third in size (My whole 'In Search of Lost Time' to a mere 250 mb!), keeps record of the farthest listened position of each and every audiobook, keeps bookmarks. What else do you want, blood? Connects seamlessly with my car audio, thanks to a front AUX and the car charger takes the battery-related concerns out of the equation. I only use mobile phones for audiobooks so there are no phone calls that could disrupt the story:

http://www.nokia.com/A4632325
Razi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2008, 11:35 AM   #21
Razi
Zealot
Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba E740, Cassiopeia, iLiad, iPad, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
I have a good collection of audible books. My 1st generation iPod (4 gb version) died recently after more than six years of daily trouble-free use. Unfortunately Nokia Audiobook Manager is not listed among the usable devices or software on Audible website. What should I do? I need one of those books for a forth-coming job interview. Thanks to DRM I am unable to use a book that I paid my hard-earned money for! Why should my expenditure on audible dictate spending money on something else? I am perfectly happy with my mobile phone audiobook player but can't use Audible books on it which is a great shame.
Razi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 11:37 AM   #22
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razi View Post
I have a good collection of audible books. My 1st generation iPod (4 gb version) died recently after more than six years of daily trouble-free use. Unfortunately Nokia Audiobook Manager is not listed among the usable devices or software on Audible website. What should I do? I need one of those books for a forth-coming job interview. Thanks to DRM I am unable to use a book that I paid my hard-earned money for! Why should my expenditure on audible dictate spending money on something else? I am perfectly happy with my mobile phone audiobook player but can't use Audible books on it which is a great shame.
With the Audible manager software you can cut the book to a CD. Then you can RIP that CD back to an unprotected MP3 and put it on pretty much any player device that you have.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 11:39 AM   #23
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razi View Post
The fact that you can't use Audible files on a Nokia is not due to DRM but do to the fact that audible uses a proprietary file format that has superior compression. Audible folks are pretty aggressive at getting their readers on lots of platforms. I would suggest you contact them and see if the Nokia is on their list of target platforms in the near future. It would also be good to contact Nokia and have them nudge Audible a bit.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 11:58 AM   #24
plantedbypiggies
oink!
plantedbypiggies doesn't litterplantedbypiggies doesn't litter

Device: Ebookwise 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
The only problem I have with MP3 audiobooks is that my MP3 Player (a SanDisk Sansa Express) doesn't keep my place in an MP3 file when I shut it off. Not a problem for a 2 minute song, but more than a slight annoyance for a 6 hour audiobook.

If anyone knows a solution to that, I'd be extremely grateful to hear it.
One solution to this I know of is the audiobook service at emusic.com. They split their audiobooks up into short tracks that are DRM free. If you can remember what track number you're on, that could be a useful method.

It's a new service, so they don't have as wide a selection as audible.com, but it is growing.
plantedbypiggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 12:01 PM   #25
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ironically, on the first CD audiobook I bought to put on the thing, the longest track is about 5.5 minutes, so that took care of the issue for me.

I'll have a look at emusic.com too, thanks!
Old 04-30-2008, 12:03 PM   #26
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Be careful with emusic. It's like Audible was years ago, if you don't use your credit by the end of the month you lose it.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 12:05 PM   #27
NatCh
Gizmologist

Well, I wasn't planning to run out and join them first thing, but the warning is appreciated, all the same.
Old 05-01-2008, 12:35 AM   #28
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: None of your business
Quote:
The only problem I have with MP3 audiobooks is that my MP3 Player (a SanDisk Sansa Express) doesn't keep my place in an MP3 file when I shut it off. Not a problem for a 2 minute song, but more than a slight annoyance for a 6 hour audiobook.

Glad i popped onto this thread. I saw this earlier when I was posting on the clip and the autobookmarking bit but didn't think that was what you meant.

"Turn the unit off while playing the audiobook by holding down the power button for a few seconds. Do not pause and then shut off, and do not pause and let it go to sleep. You will lose your bookmarks if you do so."

This is listed for the Express specifically, http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/boar...y.id=8361#M908

Hope that helps -MJ
mjh215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 12:43 AM   #29
Indigo Ink
The curious one!
Indigo Ink began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook, Ebookman 901
Quote:

Buy a new MP3 player
Indigo Ink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 12:45 AM   #30
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh215 View Post
"Turn the unit off while playing the audiobook by holding down the power button for a few seconds. Do not pause and then shut off, and do not pause and let it go to sleep. You will lose your bookmarks if you do so."
Thanks, MJ, I'd seen that over there, and it is of some help, but I've found that chopping the file up into little bits is a more practical approach for me.

Tags
audio book, drm, piracy, publisher