Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 09-27-2011, 01:24 AM   #1
ButterflyBill
ButterflyBill began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Nook for PC doesn't display graphics

I have formatted an epub using Notepad to compose all files and then copying mimetype, META-INF, and OEBS into a .zip folder and then changing the extension. I can get the resulting epub to display in Mobipocket Reader and Kindle Simulator with all graphics displayed in the right places, but they don't display at all in Nook for PC. Can anybody think of any possible reasons?
ButterflyBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 03:53 AM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
You cannot just create a .zip and then change the extension. The zip must be packed in a specific manner. Probably the resulting .epub is not correct. That mobipocket and apparently kindle simulator (ironic, since the Kindle doesn't support ePUB...) can open it, is something else.

Try the program ePubPack (somewhere here on the forum) or assemble the ePUB with Sigil. That is much easier and will deliver a structurally good ePUB. Additional bonus, Sigil has a built-in validation.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2011, 03:56 PM   #3
ButterflyBill

OK, I downloaded ePubPack and got it to make a new epub that MobilPocket reader ate and displayed what I want.

But now when I open Nook for PC I see the old book all loaded up, and I cant see anywhere on the GUI a button or something that says "Close Book" or anything like that. How do I close a file on the thing? (Especially when there is no menu bar.)

Their "User Guide" is nothing but an advertising blurb directed at someone who hasn't downloaded one yet. Are there any real instructions anywhere? (No, I don't have a Nook device).

(When I ask my Kindle Viewer to open an ePub, it flashes a little window that goes by too fast to really read but I see the word "kindlegen". Then it plants a folder into the folder where I have the mimetype file, with "Compiled-"added to the front of the epub's filename. Open that folder and inside is a mobi file that I can click and look at in MoobiPocket Viewer. So apparently it can't read epubs, but it can.)
Old 09-27-2011, 04:47 PM   #4
ButterflyBill

Well, the way you close a book is to open another. And I added and opened my new epub made with ePubPack, and IT STILL DOESN"T WORK. No graphics displayed except my cover image. All the files are jpg, which the B&N formatting guide said are ok, and Mobipocket Reader has no problems with.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:25 PM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
There is presumably still something wrong with the ePub. I suggest importing it into Calibre. If Calibre displays the images, then do an ePub to ePub conversion within Calibre and then export the new ePub to a folder. If Calibre does not display the images, then they are definitely mal-formed in the ePub. Calibre also has a "tweak ePub" mode (right click on the ebook entry), although you need to know what is wrong to fix it that way.

There are also several other ePub readers for a PC, see Reading Adobe ePub on the Desktop. As you can see, I recommend Nook Study over Nook for PC. There is also a new Sony app and a beta version of Adobe Digital Editions.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2011, 11:01 PM   #6
ButterflyBill

My ePUB Validator keeps saying "Blahblah.htm(9): non-standard image resource 'OEBPS/images/Blahblah.jpg' of type 'images/jpg'"

Some of the images are jpegs I downloaded off the net, most are things that started out as tifs from the music program Finale, and then got supposedly turned into jpgs by IrfnView.

There seems to be some purity standard or something that is higher in Nook and the validator than in Mobipocket and kindlegen.

Is there some way to check the quality of graphics, like a validator program or a website you can upload it to?

(I tried downloading Caliber, couldn't get the install sequence to start, so I shitcanned it. (I have Windows 7 and 64 bit; maybe their .exe wasn't written to accommodate it. But I don't like automated programs in general. I like to manipulate the code myself as least as far as html and xml level, and then WISIWIGot when I push the f5 button. That's just the way I am.)
Old 09-28-2011, 12:08 AM   #7
ButterflyBill

Now why the hell doesn't Nook for PC have a help file like NOOK Study, which I just downloaded? Lots of other things in its GUI are also much easier to figure out. I can't see any more reason to mess with NfPC. But Study doesn't display my graphics either.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:38 AM   #8
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Calibre works fine on Win 7 64-bit. I use it myself. Never had an issue with the installation...

Install Sigil and load the ePUB in there. You can tinker with the code what you want, but it will help you. There is also a built in validation, that is better than the ePubCheck.

Have tried opening the book in ADE?
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 04:53 PM   #9
ButterflyBill

I FOUND IT. In my opf file, instead of
item id="image1" media-type="image/jpeg" href="Blahblah.jpg"
I had
... images/jpg ... instead.
Now Nook likes it and shows all pictures.

It was Sigil that explained this to me.

Thank you to all respondents for turning me on to ePubPack and Sigil. They have made my life much easier.