Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-25-2013, 01:46 PM   #1141
Aeris
Developer's Corner Mascot
Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5.3.4, Kindle Keyboard 3.4
Kindle Menu has been reported to run well also on Kindle PW2. Should work everything except the filemanager, it seems . If you are getting KUAL errors, you'd better trying to report them in this thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=203326

Last edited by Aeris; 11-25-2013 at 01:48 PM.
Aeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 01:50 PM   #1142
chipf0rk
chipf0rk began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd gen)
To be honest, I'm not sure whether this is a KUAL problem or not; I haven't found anything to test with that is explicitly for PW2. Is there anything else for KUAL on PW2 that should work properly?
chipf0rk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 02:14 PM   #1143
Aeris
Developer's Corner Mascot
Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5.3.4, Kindle Keyboard 3.4
Every single app in the extensions folder of this package should work on PW2 (except the task manager, as said). So, if KUAL works and has been installed properly, it should be able to launch them too

Last edited by Aeris; 11-25-2013 at 02:16 PM.
Aeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 02:23 PM   #1144
chipf0rk

Right. I let KUAL output its logs and found this:

Quote:
/tmp/klauncher_background-17253.sh: line 2: ./bin/usbnet.sh: Permission denied
/tmp/klauncher_background-17254.sh: line 2: ./bin/usbnet.sh: Permission denied
/tmp/klauncher_background-17256.sh: line 2: /mnt/us/extensions/kindlenotes/bin/kindlenotes.sh: Permission denied
/tmp/klauncher_background-17258.sh: line 2: /mnt/us/extensions/kindlenotes/bin/kindlenotes.sh: Permission denied
/tmp/klauncher_background-17260.sh: line 2: /mnt/us/extensions/kindlemenu/bin/kindlemenu.sh: Permission denied
/tmp/klauncher_background-17262.sh: line 2: /mnt/us/extensions/kindlemenu/bin/shortcut.sh: Permission denied
/tmp/klauncher_background-17266.sh: line 2: bin/kindlegallery.sh: Permission denied
/tmp/klauncher_background-17267.sh: line 2: bin/kindlegallery.sh: Permission denied
/tmp/klauncher_background-17268.sh: line 2: bin/explorer.sh: Permission denied
/tmp/klauncher_background-17269.sh: line 2: ./gargoyle.sh: Permission denied
Welp, looks like it's not a problem on KUAL's nor your side, but I'm unsure whether there should be a thread opened for this. I suppose it's a permission problem with the executable flag missing, and that might happen because I'm copying the files on the device over USB- from Windows. If you've never heard of that problem, I'll gladly move this somewhere else, but is this known to happen and easily fixable?

Last edited by chipf0rk; 11-25-2013 at 02:26 PM.
Old 11-25-2013, 02:26 PM   #1145
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@chipf0rk: Huh. When did you jailbreak your device? (More specifically, how old are the files you used).

Also, which exact Kindle model do you have?
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 02:46 PM   #1146
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipf0rk View Post
Right. I let KUAL output its logs and found this:

Code:
/tmp/klauncher_background-17253.sh: line 2: ./bin/usbnet.sh: Permission denied
/tmp/klauncher_background-17254.sh: line 2: ./bin/usbnet.sh: Permission denied
/tmp/klauncher_background-17256.sh: line 2: /mnt/us/extensions/kindlenotes/bin/kindlenotes.sh: Permission denied
/tmp/klauncher_background-17258.sh: line 2: /mnt/us/extensions/kindlenotes/bin/kindlenotes.sh: Permission denied
/tmp/klauncher_background-17260.sh: line 2: /mnt/us/extensions/kindlemenu/bin/kindlemenu.sh: Permission denied
/tmp/klauncher_background-17262.sh: line 2: /mnt/us/extensions/kindlemenu/bin/shortcut.sh: Permission denied
/tmp/klauncher_background-17266.sh: line 2: bin/kindlegallery.sh: Permission denied
/tmp/klauncher_background-17267.sh: line 2: bin/kindlegallery.sh: Permission denied
/tmp/klauncher_background-17268.sh: line 2: bin/explorer.sh: Permission denied
/tmp/klauncher_background-17269.sh: line 2: ./gargoyle.sh: Permission denied
Welp, looks like it's not a problem on KUAL's nor your side, but I'm unsure whether there should be a thread opened for this. I suppose it's a permission problem with the executable flag missing, and that might happen because I'm copying the files on the device over USB- from Windows. If you've never heard of that problem, I'll gladly move this somewhere else, but is this known to happen and easily fixable?
These all seem to be related to the user partition being mounted noexec. The easiest solution is to prefix the commands with /bin/sh. Not sure whether this should be handled in KUAL itself, or in each extension config...

PS: Moved to correct thread.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 03:01 PM   #1147
chipf0rk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
These all seem to be related to the user partition being mounted noexec. The easiest solution is to prefix the commands with /bin/sh. Not sure whether this should be handled in KUAL itself, or in each extension config...

PS: Moved to correct thread.
Thanks for moving. But how did that happen? And isn't that more of a problem on my device itself than in KUAL and the extensions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@chipf0rk: Huh. When did you jailbreak your device? (More specifically, how old are the files you used).

Also, which exact Kindle model do you have?
The Jailbreak version was: 1.8.N @ r10152 on 2013-Nov-23 @ 19:14

My Kindle model, I'm not sure how to find out the exact one. I have a Kindle Paperwhite 2, bought in Germany, Firmware 5.4.2 (2155730032). There anything more to find out?

EDIT: Oh, and it's the WiFi only model.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by chipf0rk; 11-25-2013 at 03:03 PM.
Old 11-25-2013, 03:31 PM   #1148
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@chipf0rk:

Hmm. Just to be sure nothing hinky's going on, try to re-do the jailbreak w/ the latest version, then restart your device.

(Thanks, Germany/WiFi-only is good enough ).

EDIT: Actually, no, it might not be: could you post the first four characters of your device's S/N? (From the 'Device Info' menu in the Settings page).
Old 11-25-2013, 03:41 PM   #1149
chipf0rk

Yep, that's 90D4. And redoing everything with the newest versions is exactly what I'm doing right now- will report back after that.

EDIT: Alright, not sure what went wrong in the process at first. But everything seems to be working fine now after the 2nd jailbreak. Not sure if it was any of the software versions, but I did everything in the exact same order as the first time. Thank you all regardless!

Last edited by chipf0rk; 11-25-2013 at 03:47 PM.
Old 11-25-2013, 04:25 PM   #1150
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@chipf0rk: The '90D4' was the problem .

I fixed that only yesterday, hence the half-working results the first time .

Out of curiosity, since those 90 prefixes intrigue me: did you order your Kindle straight from amazon.de?

Last edited by NiLuJe; 11-25-2013 at 04:33 PM.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:28 PM   #1151
chipf0rk

Ah, alright! Yes, I ordered it straight from there. With a 50€ discount for having an Amazon credit card. Might that be a clue? I don't know. Are 90x IDs unusual?
Old 11-25-2013, 07:23 PM   #1152
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@chipf0rk: They used to be. Apparently not so much anymore with the PW2 .
Old 11-27-2013, 05:06 AM   #1153
Rugalb
Rugalb began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2
And I thought Kindle Paperwhite 2 was just a reading device.

Last edited by Rugalb; 11-27-2013 at 05:09 AM.
Rugalb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 08:08 AM   #1154
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugalb View Post
And I thought Kindle Paperwhite 2 was just a reading device.
Only for the first 6 weeks after the model was released.
Now it is ours.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 08:23 AM   #1155
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
I had to live for 43 looooong days with my Kindle in out-of-the-box Amazon mode. It is just so nice to finally have the goodies (at least some of them) back on it

Last edited by Yolina; 11-27-2013 at 10:35 AM.
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle touch, kindle touch hacks, kindlet, kual, launcher, launcher add-ons, paperwhite, sqlite, unified