Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-23-2011, 07:47 PM   #31
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I don't like anything startling, or obtrusive.
If I want to see a video or hear music, or have some voice offering me help or advice, then give me a link or I will click on it.
Any noise or video automatically played on entering a webpage makes me exit it immediately.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 01:16 AM   #32
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
I don't like anything startling, . . . .SNIP . . . .Any noise or video automatically played on entering a webpage makes me exit it immediately.

Helen
I was just going to say the same thing.

We have a newspaper that started to put news clips on the page where you couldn't see them until you scroll down but they'd load up and start while you were reading the story above.
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2011, 12:56 PM   #33
CherilNClarke
CherilNClarke writes the songs that make the whole world sing.CherilNClarke writes the songs that make the whole world sing.CherilNClarke writes the songs that make the whole world sing.CherilNClarke writes the songs that make the whole world sing.CherilNClarke writes the songs that make the whole world sing.CherilNClarke writes the songs that make the whole world sing.CherilNClarke writes the songs that make the whole world sing.CherilNClarke writes the songs that make the whole world sing.CherilNClarke writes the songs that make the whole world sing.CherilNClarke writes the songs that make the whole world sing.CherilNClarke writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle
Flash websites and those that have music that autoplay annoy me. An author website that I feel is very well done is Danielle Steel's.
CherilNClarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 03:55 PM   #34
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I wish authors would understand what are selling points, and sell them. For instance, if the book has won an award, say so! If it was previously published by a big publisher, people look for books like that. Don't hide this information. And please, have an email link or a way for readers and reviewers to contact you. I once had to go looking on Facebook for an author; it shouldn't be that hard, and 99% of the time, I will not be that dedicated or proactive, so the author may miss out on a review or some free publicity. Don't make it hard for people to get information, make a purchase or contact you. Make it easy!
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 01:02 AM   #35
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenreed034 View Post
I would suggested to buy Ebook reader of Amazon. That will support and use millions of amazon books.
What does this have to do with the topic of the thread?
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2011, 01:20 PM   #36
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
And please, have an email link or a way for readers and reviewers to contact you.
The one downside to this is that the author who leaves email addresses on their site, or when leaving postings or comments elsewhere, immediately opens themselves up to SPAM. I've had to ditch an email account almost 1 every 2 years because of it, and I'm starting to get heavily spammed in my present account.

Using code in embedded links--"&#(number for letter);"--seems to help, but you don't have that choice on other people's websites.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 02:06 PM   #37
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lyle Jordan View Post
The one downside to this is that the author who leaves email addresses on their site, or when leaving postings or comments elsewhere, immediately opens themselves up to SPAM. I've had to ditch an email account almost 1 every 2 years because of it, and I'm starting to get heavily spammed in my present account.

Using code in embedded links--"&#(number for letter);"--seems to help, but you don't have that choice on other people's websites.
I use a contact form and point it at a gmail account just for that. Works very well. Another option is there is JavaScript freely available you can use to obscure your email on the fly while keeping it completely human readable.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 11:33 AM   #38
MartinC
Hanger on
MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Galaxy S, Sony PRS-505, Sony tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
I use a contact form and point it at a gmail account just for that. Works very well. Another option is there is JavaScript freely available you can use to obscure your email on the fly while keeping it completely human readable.
Alternatively you can create an image with your email address on it and put that on your webpage. My spam has dropped away almost to nothing since I did this.
MartinC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 01:29 PM   #39
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinC View Post
Alternatively you can create an image with your email address on it and put that on your webpage. My spam has dropped away almost to nothing since I did this.

I hate when people do that because you cant copy/paste or click on it. Not at all user friendly.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 01:55 PM   #40
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Yes, those things work... but I was mainly thinking of other sites where an author can participate in comments and discussion, but which ask for an email address either to authenticate the posting or to provide contact info from the poster. In those cases, you can't use javascript or images, you either leave an email address or you don't (and with some sites, you won't get posted if you don't).

My attempting to participate in discussions around the web, as an author I want people to be able to find, has meant leaving my email address about in many places. Sure, it's always possible that my email was exposed by some one organization I know whose computer has been exposed to a virus, but it's even more likely that a bot has pulled it off of one of the many sites where I've left comments.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 03:47 PM   #41
MartinC
Hanger on
MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Galaxy S, Sony PRS-505, Sony tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
I hate when people do that because you cant copy/paste or click on it. Not at all user friendly.
Hum. Maybe that's why I never get any email.
MartinC is offline   Reply With Quote