Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 05-25-2010, 12:23 PM   #1
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
The end of Lost...?

Well, Lost has concluded, ending a six-year run of "the most important series of the decade" (if you actually believe ABC television's hype over its own show).

I wouldn't mind talking about the show here, but I don't know if the non-American MR community is largely into Lost, if our recent season has been aired overseas, and whether or not spoilers might ruin it for them. Somebody give me an idea where everyone else is on Lost.

I will say this, and I don't think I run the risk of a spoiler here: The ending left holes. I mean holes. You could fly Oceanic flight 815 through some of the holes. The end of Lost was good, but it left some questions unanswered... which begs the question:

Does Lost have further embellishment in its future? Or are we done? Should we expect a sequel or spinoff at some point? Maybe a movie? Are Losties warming up their keyboards with ideas of fanfic (in ebook formats, of course), rivaled only by the plots at a major publisher to continue the saga in print for us?

I know those involved in production are right now sitting back, sipping their margaritas and muttering, "Whew! Glad that's over... now I can just enjoy residuals for awhile..." But after a year has passed, and the studios are begging them for another phenomena that will equal the earning potential of Lost, will they pitch a "Lost: The Next Generation" series? Are any of the actors calling the studio and telling them, "I'm on board with the next one!"?

Maybe most importantly: Should they? Or is it the worst possible idea in the world? Should I be taken out and shot for even contemplating it?

I'm just curious about anyone's thoughts on this. Until our int'l contingent chimes in, let's try to keep spoilers to a minimum, and hide them in spoiler tags, please.

Last edited by Steven Lyle Jordan; 05-25-2010 at 12:26 PM.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 12:35 PM   #2
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
I never watched the show. I have a lot of buddies that been following the show since day 1.

I can borrow the seasons for free. I may have to check this show out.

At least I can watch it all at once and not have to wait a week between episodes.
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2010, 01:06 PM   #3
cmdahler
Addict
cmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notes

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy_terd View Post
I never watched the show. I have a lot of buddies that been following the show since day 1.

I can borrow the seasons for free. I may have to check this show out.

At least I can watch it all at once and not have to wait a week between episodes.
Here's the lowdown. You will watch the first several episodes of the first season and will generally have your jaw down somewhere around floor level for pretty much the entire time. After about the fourth or fifth episode, you will be convinced that you are watching the single-most head spinning, game-changing television show of all time, the one that all future great series will be measured against, that you have finally stumbled across TV entertainment that is compelling and fascinating in a way that no show has ever managed before. You'll literally be breathless at the end of every episode, and with a whole season of DVDs at your disposal, you will have to quite literally force yourself to stop watching at 3AM just so you can get some sleep. That will last well into the second season.

However, by the time you get into the third season, the show begins to meander a bit, and the fourth is a bit ho-hum, largely because the producers and writers knew how they wanted it to end, but they didn't know how long the series was to be aired, so they had to just keep dragging things out. The fifth season is where the writers got a commitment from ABC to end the series with 6 seasons, so they were able to refocus their efforts and began a two-season-long wrap-up of the story arc. Unfortunately they had lost a good deal of the original magic and momentum of the story in the third and fourth seasons, and it seemed to me that they never really hit that first unbelievable stride they had going in the first couple of seasons. I mostly watched this last season just more out of curiosity rather than out of any serious emotional connection to the show. The last episode was, for me, the only one that really came close to touching that emotional magic of the first two seasons, so I do have to admit that the last episode was very well done and I very much enjoyed it. Yes, it left enough holes for a whole fleet of jets, and yes, it's painfully obvious the writers did that on purpose to leave wiggle-room for any possible future follow-on or movie series, but on the whole, the entire series was a satisfying TV experience, and it was certainly better written and performed and vastly more entertaining than the vast majority of the rest of the garbage on the tube.
cmdahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 01:08 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Lost was an awful show that should never have been allowed to air. We'd have been better with a remake of Gilligan's Island.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 01:27 PM   #5
Turt99
Connoisseur
Turt99 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
JSWolf, so true. I've watched 3 seasons I think and I would say that the first 6 or so episodes had me really interested. Then it jumped of a really really high cliff and took several seasons to hit the ground.
Turt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2010, 01:35 PM   #6
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No: Lost, though flawed, was good television, inspiring viewers to do more than nap in-between shoving Cheetos into their mouths. You may also want to Google "Emmys" and see how many of them the show and its actors won. If you didn't like it, you didn't like it... that doesn't make it a bad show, nor is it any reason to be so dismissive in this thread.

So: Back to the topic of the thread...?

Last edited by Steven Lyle Jordan; 05-25-2010 at 01:38 PM.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:37 PM   #7
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It is scifi like xfiles sort of is? That is what I always think of when people explain the show to me.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:39 PM   #8
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
It is scifi like xfiles sort of is? That is what I always think of when people explain the show to me.
Close to X-Files, I'd say... some of the elements were not strictly sci-fi, and there was a lot of mystery involved. The show also featured some of the deepest character development of most shows, where characters on most other shows are generally stereotypes or 2-dimensional. That's one of the reasons I saw potential for continuance in some areas.

Last edited by Steven Lyle Jordan; 05-25-2010 at 01:58 PM.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:53 PM   #9
happy_terd
Banned

I'd be willing to give the show a chance. I watch maybe 30 minutes of television a week but to be honest with ya the whole concept of Lost got me interested. The people at work used to talk about it a lot.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:57 PM   #10
cmdahler
Addict
cmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notes

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
The mystery of what the island is has some X-file-ish feeling to it, but then again, not really. Hard to explain without ruining the storyline. The other big draw to the first couple of seasons are the engrossing back-stories to the individual characters told in interwoven flash-backs. Really great, three-dimensional characters, and therein lies the second major component of the story-arc: it's difficult to decide from one episode to the next who's the "bad guy" and who is the "good guy". Of course, that's at the core of one of the major thematic elements of the entire series.
cmdahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 02:05 PM   #11
Turt99
Connoisseur
Turt99 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
On the topic at hand, I would say that they need to just let the series die. Which was my point in my first response. I think the show sucked, I don't think the writers knew what to do when the series got extended and just made stuff up, stuff that didn't add to the story and stuff that didn't always fit.

However I totally expect that we will see something more. Plenty of people liked the show and would gladly pay to see a movie, or see more.
Turt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 02:09 PM   #12
Catire
Lord of the Universe
Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 / PSP
It was a good show overall, a great one at times, and i feel the end was good as well, sure there were major plot devices that didn't get explained but in a way I feel that some of them shouldn't be, that they should be left to the viewers interpretation instead of being spoon fed to them/us.

If they try to expand the story in some way I think they should do it in another medium not in a spinoff tv series.

P.S While I already saw the ending the official air date of the lost finale in Latin America (On AXN channel at least) is today.

I thought this was pretty funny.

Catire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 02:15 PM   #13
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Like many shows, the story posed questions that could have been easily satisfied by one character asking another character, "Why'd you do this? Why do you want to do that?" and getting a straight answer. But the show used the standard TV plot device of deliberately avoiding people asking the questions, or when they did, they got no answer or a confusing answer, and did not press the point. I lost track of all the times I said to the screen, "No (insert character name here)! Give me a straight answer, or I'm not budging!"

Usually this isn't a huge deal, but on Lost there were so many questions of that sort, all of which were dealt with by the empty or refused answer, that it could get frustrating--an understatement deserving of very few TV shows, but most notably the original The Prisoner, Twin Peaks and perhaps Nowhere Man, at least two of which find people still debating their meanings and interpretations to this day.

Of note: Among the "farewell messages" that ABC posted during the commercial breaks was this: "I never understood Trekkies... until I became a Lostie!" An interesting comparison to a show that developed a centipede's legs after its initial run, and a following that contributed significantly to its longetivity and branching out into other media over time, until you could wallpaper a healthy-sized home with Star Trek novel covers, and watch an episode a day, plus the movies, and not repeat one for 2 years.
Old 05-25-2010, 02:37 PM   #14
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
The series caught my interest in the beginning. I don't remember how long I watched, could've been an entire season, I'm not sure. But then I completely lost interest, and never watched it again.

Maybe I was too hasty. If it's purported to be "the most important series of the decade," I must have deprived myself of a very culturally significant or life changing experience.

Who knew?

(I know . . . my snark is showing.)
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 02:40 PM   #15
happy_terd
Banned

Seems like the kind of show where if you were to miss a single episode the following week you would be "lost." No pun intended.

Tags
books, future, lost, media, sequels