Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 01-06-2012, 05:53 AM   #1
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Exclamation Free (Kindle DRM-free) Eagle and the Sword by A.A. Attanasio [Epic Fantasy] + KDP

Today's KDP Select exclusive-or-else slushpile yield is a fairly nice one, with another semi-major old school sf/fantasy writer contributing, plus a few other finds. Also some romance (f/m and m/m) and mystery/thriller/horror and western repubs.

The Eagle and the Sword looks like it's 2nd in A.A. Attanasio's The Perilous Order of Camelot series, originally published by HarperCollins in 1997.

You can buy some of his sf books at 37% off at re-publisher Phoenix Pick, using the special sale coupon for this month, by the way.

Offered free without DRM for who knows how long @ Amazon main, UK, DE, ES, FR, IT.

Description
Attanasio continues The Perilous Order of Camelot, the epic fantasy series begun in The Dragon and the Unicorn, with the story of young Arthor on his journey to Camelot. When Merlin discovers that Arthor's only joy is killing, he vows to turn the youth around with a magical sword.

Merlinus has fostered the future king of Britain with Kyner, a Celtic chieftain, protected by obscurity from the jealous hatred of the sorceress Morgeu. As Arthor grows to manhood, though, he becomes a twisted creature, loving violence and hating himself. What kind of king will he be? A chance journey leading to woodland encounters shapes his character and settles his destiny.

Arthor's story is a single thread in a vast, complex web of gods, demons, angels, a sorceress, a unicorn, a carpenter with a wish, a dragon, Saxons, an impoverished Aquitanian lady with a secret weapon, battle-hardened Celtic chieftains and treacherous Roman nobles, knights, warring religions, and fairies. A. A. Attanasio's metaphysics, marvels, and magic will keep your interest and suspense high.

The daily Eric James Stone story is: An Early Ford Mustang.

Patty Jansen, an SFWA member, offers a story previously published in one of those Eric Flint series Grantville Gazette spinoffs: His Name In Lights.

Phoenix Sullivan, a former contributor to Marion Zimmer Bradley's Fantasy Magazine, offers a near-future medical technothriller: Sector C.

Ken McClure also offers a medical murder mystery/thriller, previously published by Simon & Schuster: Resurrection.

Author Billie Sue Mosiman has been nominated for Edgar and Bram Stoker awards, and offers 2 mystery/thriller novels and 2 collections of horror stories: linkage to pull up all 4 filtered and sorted by price.

A new mystery/thriller, 7th in the Dr. Jessica Coran Forensic Pathologist series by Robert W. Walker has been KDP-freebied to join his extensive backlist offerings: Blind Instinct. (ETA: Hee. Apparently you'll get more entertainment from reading the reviews to this than the actual book, which is consensus-agreed to be riddled with errors beyond the typographical.)

Anthony Neil Smith, who writes small-press crime novels which have been reviewed by Publisher's Weekly, offers a short-story collection: The Early Crap: Selected Short Stories, 1997-2005.

MIRA-published mystery/thriller writer Rick Mofina offers a single short story: As Long As We Both Shall Live

Five Star-published suspense and romance writer Karen Fenech offers a mini-collection: THREE SHORT STORIES OF SUSPENSE: DEADLY THOUGHTS, SECRETS & THE PLAN

Award-winner Theresa Weir/Anne Frasier offers a vintage romantic suspense originally HarperCollins-published: American Dreamer.

Neil S. Plakcy is the editor of MLR Press, who've been giving us periodic m/m romance freebies, as well as a specialty-subgenre-award-winning mystery writer in his own right. He offers his own m/m art-theft caper/romantic suspense novel: The Russian Boy.

Kensington-published Leigh Michaels offers a previous award finalist contemporary romance: The Lake Effect.

Comedic chick-lit mystery writer Gemma Halliday's novella Haunted is included in the 4-story omnibus of J.R. Rain's Ghost Stories. Her previously Dorchester-published start-of-series novel Spying in High Heels is still free as part of the 3-novel omnibus J.R. Rain's Whodunnits.

E.C. Sheedy offers a short story previously printed in The Mammoth Book of Special Ops Romance: Overkill.

Mike Stotter offers a 1999 paperbacked western: McKinney's Law.

A few of the more significant space opera, romance, and paranormal PI late additions to the other threads you might have missed if you didn't check follow-up comments are reposted below:

HarperCollins-published Stephen Hunt's backlist space opera: Six Against the Stars: Book 1.

Kate Silver's previously-Kensington-published historical romance: On My Lady's Honor (All for one, and one for all)

Doreen Owens Malek's previously Zebra-published Roman Britain historical romance: The Lion and the Lark

Victor Gischler, whose Adams Media-published The Deputy was a freebie late last year, offers a collection of his previously unpublished early paranormal PI stories: Three On A Light.

Okay, that's basically everyone whose names I recognize.

Happy reading, if you see anything you like.

ETA: Nearly forgot, for a limited time, Edie Claire offers a formerly Penguin-published cozy mystery, 1st in her Leigh Kostow series, free to all via Smashwords: Never Buried.

The other books in the series are priced at $2.99 @ Smashwords if you like this one, and she may offer coupons during Read an E-book Week.

Last edited by ATDrake; 01-06-2012 at 02:15 PM. Reason: Something for the non-Amazon-using people who don't like to strip.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 06:09 AM   #2
mikaelalind
Fanatic
mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Cybook Odessey
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
Today's KDP Select exclusive-or-else slushpile yield is a fairly nice one, with another semi-major old school sf/fantasy writer contributing, plus a few other finds. Also some romance (f/m and m/m) and mystery/thriller/horror and western repubs.

The Eagle and the Sword looks like it's 2nd in A.A. Attanasio's The Perilous Order of Camelot series, originally published by HarperCollins in 1997.

You can buy some of his sf books at 37% off at re-publisher Phoenix Press, using the special sale coupon for this month, by the way.

Offered free without DRM for who knows how long @ Amazon main, UK, DE, ES, FR, IT.

Description
Attanasio continues The Perilous Order of Camelot, the epic fantasy series begun in The Dragon and the Unicorn, with the story of young Arthor on his journey to Camelot. When Merlin discovers that Arthor's only joy is killing, he vows to turn the youth around with a magical sword.

Merlinus has fostered the future king of Britain with Kyner, a Celtic chieftain, protected by obscurity from the jealous hatred of the sorceress Morgeu. As Arthor grows to manhood, though, he becomes a twisted creature, loving violence and hating himself. What kind of king will he be? A chance journey leading to woodland encounters shapes his character and settles his destiny.

Arthor's story is a single thread in a vast, complex web of gods, demons, angels, a sorceress, a unicorn, a carpenter with a wish, a dragon, Saxons, an impoverished Aquitanian lady with a secret weapon, battle-hardened Celtic chieftains and treacherous Roman nobles, knights, warring religions, and fairies. A. A. Attanasio's metaphysics, marvels, and magic will keep your interest and suspense high.

This one show $8 dollar for me, but it might still be free for US people.
mikaelalind is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2012, 06:13 AM   #3
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Huh. It's still showing free for me in Canada, and at $0.00 when I check all the country store links.

Maybe Swedish people are just unluckily excluded from the freebie-ization of this particular book for some bizarre reason?

Anyway, hope you can pick up some of the other stuff you might be interested in.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:52 AM   #4
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
wow, ATDrake - great list of freebies. karma coming your way
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 01:56 PM   #5
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
MIRA-published mystery/thriller writer Rick Mofina offers a single short story: As Long As We Both Shall Live
great list, thanks. One correction for this one's links: http://www.amazon.com/Shall-Dangerou...dp/B005ED3P2I/
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2012, 01:57 PM   #6
ATDrake
Wizzard

Aargh. Cut & paste error strikes again! Fixing now, thanks.
Old 01-06-2012, 02:04 PM   #7
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Aargh. Cut & paste error strikes again! Fixing now, thanks.
No, thank you (not that my TBR pile and list of updates for my library list needed all this extra work).

I've stolen your list, btw, and used several on my blog (although I found a few of them myself, you had some of the more obscure ones I would not have found).
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 02:27 PM   #8
ATDrake
Wizzard

"Information wants to be free!"

Seriously, if you're giving a visibility boost to the sf/fantasy stuff which is the only reason why I even bother to wade through the slushpile, it's A Good Thing™.

Hopefully the obscure-to-non-genre-aficionados authors who are generously freebieing their stuff (even if in a limited venue under restrictive and disadvantageous-to-non-Kindle-using-readers conditions which I think will bite everyone in the backside in the future) get a bit more audience for their books and demand and sales for reasonably low-priced sf/fantasy* backlist e-books grows across all venues.

* I freely admit I do not care in the slightest about any of the other stuff, aside from the occasional mystery, but I include all that I come across during the slog because I know those are other people's favourite genres and I have a decent memory and good pattern-recognition skills so it would be unkind not to share when I spot the names of authors whom I've seen previously publisher promo-ed here or elsewhere.

Last edited by ATDrake; 01-06-2012 at 02:53 PM. Reason: Proper pronoun case endings, I actually know what they are. Sometimes.
Old 01-06-2012, 04:29 PM   #9
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
thanks for posting

I know it must have taken considerable time composing.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote