Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-11-2012, 08:23 PM   #241
aliali47
aliali47 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Ok, thanks for letting me know where to find the database file.

I tried the Calibre built in pdf to converter and was pleasantly surprised. A little rough around the edges but more than usable. A text only book of about 300 pages - margins can't be adjusted but text and spacing can. Worth a try.

On organising: if I had a collection of 500+ books on my KT then it would be handy to be able to group them into subjects like history, music etc. I can't always remember which books I have loaded on it but the option to see the files as they are named and in the way that I chose to sort them on the device would have been appreciated. The shelves are more elegant sounding but if open ended solutions are so time consuming, at least implement one that is functional until you can also find a way to satisfy users who like high level metaphors on their KT.

I've just received my night owl award and must share it with my facebook friends.
aliali47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 02:15 PM   #242
BensonBear
Enthusiast
BensonBear began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliali47 View Post
I tried the Calibre built in df to converter and was pleasantly surprised. A little rough around the edges but more than usable. A text only book of about 300 pages - margins can't be adjusted but text and spacing can. Worth a try.
Yes, I believe the correct way to get "reflowing" pdf, if that is what is desired, is to use other programs to convert pdf to the naturally reflowing epub format. There is no reason to believe Kobo will ever do this better than any of the other available programs.

However, I have not found these programs to do a very good job. They do not provide enough options to let the user detect and strip out headers and footers and notes, join the resulting text cleanly, and then reinsert headers/footers/line numbers and notes in a way that doesn't disturb the main text. How much of this were you able to accomplish?

I haven't looked into this yet much. But still, what Kobo themselves need to do is to provide native pdf reading without panning required, using maximal zoom in landscape mode. This is just so obvious, and also so easy to do.

Quote:
On organising: if I had a collection of 500+ books on my KT then it would be handy to be able to group them into subjects like history, music etc. I can't always remember which books I have loaded on it but the option to see the files as they are named and in the way that I chose to sort them on the device would have been appreciated. The shelves are more elegant sounding but if open ended solutions are so time consuming, at least implement one that is functional until you can also find a way to satisfy users who like high level metaphors on their KT.
Yes, perhaps, but I am not a fan of folders (or even "higher level" but procrustean metaphors like shelves). A more general tag-like system should have been used, otherwise you cannot put an item in more than one place (books on history of music for example).

Also, a "scholar", I think, really needs not a classification of texts, but an structured organization of text excerpts based on their relations to one another. So it is really the annotations that really need to be organized, more than the books themselves. Hopefully at some point we could talk more about the details of such a system, a simple one that would still be quite useful.
BensonBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2012, 01:48 AM   #243
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliali47 View Post
Yes, that is what I meant. But I don't know how to run a shell script in calibre's epub meta. I tried in the past to edit metadata in calibre so my files are not called things like 'template.p65' but the KT didn't recognise the changes that I thought I had made correctly. I don't want to spend time manually changing file data, even for 50 files that is a lot of time. I saw that the Kindle keyboard version doesn't read metadata, it uses the file names that you have used (that's how my friend's was set up anyway).
Currently, I have one PDF file on my KT. Its metadata shows a description and author. But the version of the PDF in calibre something completely different in the metadata. The calibre metadata matches that on the file on the KT. I remember when adding the PDF to calibre, I edited the metadata to have a sensible title.

What the above means, is that when calibre sends the PDF to the KT, it has modified the metadata in the PDF. i.e. calibre it has written the metadata from its database to the PDF on the KT. As I added this book a while ago, I did experiment with changing the metadata in calibre and resending it to the KT. It worked as I described. I also copied the original version over manually, and it used the rubbish metadata that was in the file.

In your case, if your PDF files have the appropriate names before you add them to calibre, change the import setting in calibre to not read the metadata from the contents of the books. There is also a regular expression for how to interpret the filename to get the correct author and book title. For the books already in calibre, editing the metadata should be enough. But, you will probably need to delete them from the KT and get calibre to send them to the KT again. The KT only reads the metadata the first time it sees the book.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 01:02 PM   #244
Poly_S
Poly_S began at the beginning.

Hello Everyone

First, for what its worth, I'd like to thank the people who are making the standard touch much better with this 'Plugin'.

I read the post over a couple of days and have really had fun getting telnet to work then getting this tweaks plugin to work, And imagining the possibilities.

I deleted some books and pictures that I had created using telnet and then broke it!!!!
Not to worry because a factory reset unbricks it!!! Amazing.
I guess I corrupted the SQLite data base.... So now I'm off learning about this.

I'm on a journey man and you have all helped. Thanks.

My next thing is to try and get the Wifi to toggle properly. I'm not sure if its something I'm dong wrong but when I toggle the Wifi it says its connecting but doesn't then the little airplane icon comes up. Trying to connect to the store gives me an network error message.

If i go settings> Wifi and delete the network then re authenticate using the store then its Ok again until i disconnect. then I'm unable to reconnect.

Any thoughts on that?

I'd like to get that working reliably so I can maybe set up a cron job to sync with a samba server and download news feeds that Calibre has made. (Its just ideas right now)

Any way

Thanks again.
Poly_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 02:50 AM   #245
ChriRi
ChriRi began at the beginning.

Hello Everyone.

Thank you very much for this tweak.

I just stumpled about this forum during search of how to organize books in my KT.
After installing the latest version (2012-03-17) it worked.

A little bug (just a bit inconvenient (at now; guess it could get more annoying with further use)):
When i select home->library->shelves and then return to library via Shelfs->Books, the menu-items "Shelves" and "Create Shelves" disappeared. Restarting with Home-Button->Home->Library they're shown again.

More critical is the lack of support of most filetypes.
At the moment I've copied some dozen ebooks to the KT, mostly pdf, but also some rtf and txt. I've tried to add some of every type to shelfs, but only the preinstalled Kobo-Epub (Star Wars: Lost Tribe of the Sith) were accepted so the "Ready"-Button was enabled. Additionally I could add the "Welcome to kobo" (kobo epub) and the Kobo Epub Previews which I didn't ask for (so I'd like to add me to the wish of not showing previews in the book-list while adding to shelves).
I'll try to convert some pdfs to epub with calibre (after installing calibre as I didn't use it 'til now) and post my experience.

As it seems a book can only be added to one shelf (here I've to agree to the person who posted about "Tags" instead of shelves to be able to add one book to more tags/categories/whateveryouwantitcall) it would be very useful to show only books not already in shelves for adding (even better would be an option for "all books"/"just books not in shelves").

As an austrian (NOT australian ) I'm not an english native speaker. So I hope I my post is not too hard to understand.
ChriRi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2012, 04:14 AM   #246
ChriRi
ChriRi began at the beginning.

Hello Everyone.
I've converted some pdfs to epub with calibre (the result wasn't very nice, I just used defaults), but the converted epubs could be successfully inserted into shelves. So I have to play around with the converter and its settings
I would really appreciate if pdfs could be supported by the tweak.
ChriRi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 07:15 AM   #247
MrBook69
MrBook69 can illuminate an eclipseMrBook69 can illuminate an eclipseMrBook69 can illuminate an eclipseMrBook69 can illuminate an eclipseMrBook69 can illuminate an eclipseMrBook69 can illuminate an eclipseMrBook69 can illuminate an eclipseMrBook69 can illuminate an eclipseMrBook69 can illuminate an eclipseMrBook69 can illuminate an eclipseMrBook69 can illuminate an eclipse

Device: none
I would add some feature on this plugin. Does someone could explain me what I need for?
MrBook69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:18 AM   #248
ah-
Connoisseur
ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBook69 View Post
I would add some feature on this plugin. Does someone could explain me what I need for?
You can find the source for the plugin here: https://github.com/ah-/koboplugins

Additionally you need to setup a development environment for compiling stuff that runs on the Kobo touch, roughly described here:
http://blog.ringerc.id.au/2011/01/pr...nment-for.html

This guide is a bit outdated, but if you look at the first few pages of this thread you should find what you have to change.

Build plugins with ~/kobo/qt/bin/qmake && make, copy lib*.so to /usr/local/Kobo on the device, reboot and open the library once to load the plugin.
ah- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:05 AM   #249
MrBook69
MrBook69 can illuminate an eclipseMrBook69 can illuminate an eclipseMrBook69 can illuminate an eclipseMrBook69 can illuminate an eclipseMrBook69 can illuminate an eclipseMrBook69 can illuminate an eclipseMrBook69 can illuminate an eclipseMrBook69 can illuminate an eclipseMrBook69 can illuminate an eclipseMrBook69 can illuminate an eclipseMrBook69 can illuminate an eclipse

Thanks for your reply, but I can't find Sourcery for windows. Linux is mandatory to develop for Kobo?
Old 06-22-2012, 09:15 AM   #250
ah-
Connoisseur
ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.

Pretty much, it might be possible to use some black magic to cross compile something that will run on the Kobo but I'm certain that it isn't worth trying. So yes, Linux is mandatory, just setup a VM with Ubuntu.

Last edited by ah-; 06-22-2012 at 11:46 AM.
ah- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:42 AM   #251
MrBook69

Could you give me an advice to select a vm portable?
Old 06-22-2012, 10:43 AM   #252
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Personally I am very happy using VMWare's Player
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:57 AM   #253
atr99
atr99 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo touch
books can be in multiple shelves

FYI in case anyone else is interested:
With the tweaks enabled I discovered I can have a book in multiple shelves by listing all the shelf names separated with a ',' (comma) in the "BookshelfTags" column in the Content table of KoboReader.sqlite.
atr99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:26 PM   #254
lar3ry
Enthusiast
lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kobo WiFi and Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koboyashi View Post
[*]Improve the consistency between entries in the home menu and tweaks page.
The Tweaks page is a Wiki, and is therefor editable. Today I took the liberty of updating the Tweaks page to reflect the actual Tweaks terminology.
lar3ry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 01:45 PM   #255
lar3ry
Enthusiast
lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kobo WiFi and Kobo Touch
Just came from https://getsatisfaction.com/kobo/topics, where I see a posting raving about Kobo Touch revision 2.0.0

I'll be waiting a while to decide whether or not I want to upgrade.
lar3ry is offline   Reply With Quote