Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-28-2007, 02:34 PM   #1
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
converting lit html output into one big file for BD

I have converted some of my lit files into html for the BookDesigner, using convertlit. What clit seems do is to convert one lit file into many htm file linked together. One for the TOC, one for the first page, etc.

But when I open the TOC file, for example, in BD, and click on a link, BD can't open the page it links to, telling me it's an empty link. In explorer the links works fine. BD also doesn't read all the html styles right, leading to some very odd formatting choices.

What I thought to do is to convert it all into one big html file and to load that file inside BD, even if it means I will have to give up linked TOC. Is there a tool which can convert many linked html files (toc, chapters, etc) into on big htm file?

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I couldn't find it in a search, and didn't fancy reading the whole BD update thread again .

Another small question. To all of you who have embedded fonts inside an lrs file. Does that lead to slower page turning?
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 03:30 PM   #2
vvv
Zealot
vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iLiad, Librie, REB1100, GEB2150, GEB1150, etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by simple dave
I have converted some of my lit files into html for the BookDesigner, using convertlit. What clit seems do is to convert one lit file into many htm file linked together. One for the TOC, one for the first page, etc.

But when I open the TOC file, for example, in BD, and click on a link, BD can't open the page it links to, telling me it's an empty link. In explorer the links works fine. BD also doesn't read all the html styles right, leading to some very odd formatting choices.

What I thought to do is to convert it all into one big html file and to load that file inside BD, even if it means I will have to give up linked TOC. Is there a tool which can convert many linked html files (toc, chapters, etc) into on big htm file?

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I couldn't find it in a search, and didn't fancy reading the whole BD update thread again .

Another small question. To all of you who have embedded fonts inside an lrs file. Does that lead to slower page turning?
BD does not support linked html's. But you can try to join them using any of the following options.

1. If your input file is lit, load it directly to BD. In this case BD will join html's found inside lit using the order pointed out in the opf-file included into lit.
2. If you have several html's try to join them using Tools -> Join Books.

Both methods will join the files. However these methods may change the formatting because they convert non-structured html's to structured html0-format (i.e. they are trying to find book elements such as titles, subtitles, etc).

Also you can join html's included into lit "as they are" (without converting to html0). If you want to do it - Settings -> uncheck both "keep original format" and "re-format completely" -> load lit to BD. When the book will be shown in BD window, close BD, and go to the "LastFile" subdirectory where you will find html's joined into a single file.
But be careful: because this file is non-structured html, the BD-converting to several e-book formats may give unpredictable results. And most probably, the interactive editing of such files in BD will not work.

Embedded fonts slow down the page turning. And the more embedded fonts are included, the slower the turning is. For example, if the only one embedded font is used, the delay is ~2 sec.

Last edited by vvv; 03-28-2007 at 03:36 PM.
vvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2007, 03:47 PM   #3
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
You also may want to try Amber LIT Converter -- it offers a wide range of output file types, and has given me single files the few times I've used it.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 03:57 PM   #4
Moonraker
Addict
Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ILiad. Gen 3, PocketBook 360, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Oasis 2
I use softsnow's html merger.

It will merge many html files into one file

You can get it here.

http://www.dukelupus.pri.ee/softsnow...r/merger.shtml
Moonraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 04:01 PM   #5
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Quote:
1. If your input file is lit, load it directly to BD. In this case BD will join html's found inside lit using the order pointed out in the opf-file included into lit.
Thanks, VVV. For some reason I was under the impression that BD does not support lit files. I tried now to load the lit file directly and it works.

I have got another problem now, though. After BD make the book and open it in Connect, I can see that everything is in italics, although I specified normal as paragraph style.

Also, can you add align left for the paragraph align style. I much prefer reading un-Justified paragraphs. The uneven spacing between words in justified paragraphs slows my reading for some reason (anyone else is bothered by this?).

Again, thanks for your answer.
Advert
Old 03-28-2007, 04:09 PM   #6
Dave Berk
Fanatic

Quote:
You also may want to try Amber LIT Converter -- it offers a wide range of output file types, and has given me single files the few times I've used it.
Thanks. But I have tried one of their product before (the pdb converter), and when it worked it stamped every page with some ads.

Quote:
I use softsnow's html merger.

It will merge many html files into one file

You can get it here.

http://www.dukelupus.pri.ee/softsno...er/merger.shtml
Great, I was looking for a program just like this!!!
Old 03-28-2007, 04:14 PM   #7
vvv
Zealot
vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Quote:
I have got another problem now, though. After BD make the book and open it in Connect, I can see that everything is in italics, although I specified normal as paragraph style.
How the paragraphs of your book look like in BD? Italic or normal?

Quote:
I much prefer reading un-Justified paragraphs.
Unfortunately lrf-format does not support the left alignment

Last edited by vvv; 03-28-2007 at 04:32 PM.
Old 03-28-2007, 04:16 PM   #8
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Thanks. But I have tried one of their product before (the pdb converter), and when it worked it stamped every page with some ads.
Yeah, I think it does do that, but, if I'm remembering rightly, they're easy enough to remove -- they're in the Header/Footer section, so you just have to edit that & delete them in Word or whatever. And Actually, I think running it through WordPad may have stripped them off for me.

Anyway, it sounds like you've found what you need, and that's the important bit.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 04:30 PM   #9
Dave Berk
Fanatic

Quote:
How the paragraphs of your book look like in BD? Italic or normal?
Perfectly normal. Could it be related to the fact I'm using embedded fonts?

Quote:
Yeah, I think it does do that, but, if I'm remembering rightly, they're easy enough to remove -- they're in the Header/Footer section, so you just have to edit that & delete them in Word or whatever. And Actually, I think running it through WordPad may have stripped them off for me.

Anyway, it sounds like you've found what you need, and that's the important bit.
True. Anyway, thank for the tip. I believe I still got the file somewhere, I will try running it through Wordpad.
Old 03-28-2007, 04:38 PM   #10
vvv
Zealot

Quote:
Perfectly normal. Could it be related to the fact I'm using embedded fonts?
Most probably, this is a reason: the embedded font is italic. Try to make the same book with some inner font (say, Dutch)

P.S. If the justification bother you a lot, there is a way to skip it: to make lrf as BookImage.

1. Load your book to BD
2. Tools -> Book Cleaner
3. In Book Cleaner:
find what: <DIV align=justify>
replace by: <DIV align=left>
loaded book -> check "whole"
press "apply"
Close BookCleaner
4. File -> save
5. Make eBooks -> BookImage
6. device: Sony Reader
7. "make book"

Well, the lrf's will be several times bigger, and the font resizing will not work. But as a compensation, you will be able to choose any font which you like. And with any chosen font it will be no a delay in page turning.
Old 03-28-2007, 04:49 PM   #11
Dave Berk
Fanatic

Thanks alot, vvv.

a couple of quick questions. Is there a way to manualy add page breaks. when you want a certain paragraph to always start at a new page?

Also, BD shows me the book with notes. Any where in the text I might see "p.some number". is there a way to automatically remove all these notes?
Old 03-28-2007, 05:49 PM   #12
vvv
Zealot

Quote:
Thanks alot, vvv.

a couple of quick questions. Is there a way to manualy add page breaks. when you want a certain paragraph to always start at a new page?

Also, BD shows me the book with notes. Any where in the text I might see "p.some number". is there a way to automatically remove all these notes?
1. To insert an user page break in BD window: Alt+X. The break will be inserted after the end of the element under the cursor.
2. To activate the user page breaks recognizion in SonyReader module: options -> check "user page breaks"

As for the notes, there is a special tool called "Notes and Links". Press F4, select "show: all notes", select the notes to be removed at the list "all notes", then press "remove". Or, if you want to remove all the notes, just press "remove all".
Old 03-28-2007, 06:05 PM   #13
Dave Berk
Fanatic

Quote:
As for the notes, there is a special tool called "Notes and Links". Press F4, select "show: all notes", select the notes to be removed at the list "all notes", then press "remove". Or, if you want to remove all the notes, just press "remove all".
I did so. But it only remove them from the list. In the text they still apear... What am I doing wrong?
Old 03-29-2007, 02:41 PM   #14
vvv
Zealot

Quote:
I did so. But it only remove them from the list. In the text they still apear... What am I doing wrong?
Nothing wrong: the "Notes and Links" tool removes the anchors (invisible tags) only.

If you want to remove also the anchor's text, it can be done through BookCleaner.

1. Open BookCleaner
find what: <A[^>]*>(.*?|\n)</A>
replace by: leave empty
case: checked
RegExp: checked
3. loaded book -> selection: checked
4. Select in BD window a fragment from which you want to remove the anchors with text (double-click on the first element, Shift+click on the last element).
5. Press "apply" in BookCleaner.
Old 03-29-2007, 05:01 PM   #15
Dave Berk
Fanatic

That fixes it. Thanks again. I really appreciate it that you help us here with your great program.