Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 08-27-2010, 06:44 AM   #16
Zetmolm
Guru
Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch (622), PocketBook Touch Lux 2, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
With the old version my battery lasted up to a week. I updated my Boox on Sunday and fully charged the battery. Now, after 5 days, I have still 3 bars left! So for me it really looks better.
Zetmolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 06:40 PM   #17
pietvo
Reader
pietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo Aura 2, iPhone, iPad
Is that on standby?
pietvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 02:36 PM   #18
Zetmolm
Guru
Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch (622), PocketBook Touch Lux 2, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
No, not on standby. I always turn my Boox off when I know I won't be reading, say, the next hour. I did that with the old firmware, and I do that now.

I did not mention that, because everyone uses their Boox in their own way, and the question was: did the battery life improve with the new firmware. Well, for me it's better. One week now, and two bars left. With the old firmware I would have had to recharge today.
Zetmolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 01:39 PM   #19
frozennorth
Evangelist
frozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Onyx Boox RIP, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Libra
I just installed the newest unofficial firmware yesterday and I can already see a big change. I keep mine on standby and I would usually loose 2 bars overnight. This morning I still got all 5 bars left. So that's a huge improvement for me.

I used the zip file in the first post from this thread on booxusers. This one doesn't change your menu to russian. It might change google and wikipedia to russian but haven't checked that.

Last edited by frozennorth; 08-30-2010 at 01:52 PM.
frozennorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 01:54 AM   #20
bookoffers
Connoisseur
bookoffers began at the beginning.

Device: NOne
Boox has an estimated battery-life of around 8,000 page-turns. When using Wi-Fi the battery lasts a few days or so. and likewise, users should understand that using the touchscreen will drain the battery much quicker than using buttons.
bookoffers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 12:35 PM   #21
frozennorth
Evangelist
frozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Onyx Boox RIP, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Libra
There is no way you can get 8000 page turns out of boox at this time. And I don't ususally use the touch screen as I prefer to use the buttons for turning pages anyway and I haven't used wifi in the last few days.

This morning (3rd day) I was down 2 bars. This is so much better than before when I had to charge it every second day. But I'm convinced there is still room for improvement.

Noticed when I get it out of standby it refreshes the screen 3 times. I would think once should be enough.

Last edited by frozennorth; 09-01-2010 at 12:37 PM.
frozennorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 02:22 PM   #22
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozennorth View Post
Noticed when I get it out of standby it refreshes the screen 3 times. I would think once should be enough.

I seem to get the refresh 3 times only when it goes on standby(or I put it on standby) without closing the book. If it goes on standby from any screen other than an open book it doesn't do that for me.

My battery life is much improved - I charged it Sunday night and I am down only 1 bar today. I have only read 1/2 hour or so since then though.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 06:21 AM   #23
Kraken
Kraken began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox-S, Hanlin v3 (dead)
Salud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookoffers View Post
Boox has an estimated battery-life of around 8,000 page-turns. When using Wi-Fi the battery lasts a few days or so. and likewise, users should understand that using the touchscreen will drain the battery much quicker than using buttons.
I recently bought a Boox (the version without WiFi and touchscreen) and I'm appalled with battery life. I had to recharge while reading a 1400 pages book. No way it can last 8000 page turns with a single charge.

The unit is great so far, this notwithstanding.
Kraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 12:33 PM   #24
Stormchild
Evangelist
Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1. BeBook Mini. BeBook Neo and Club. BeBook Live. BeeBook Pure.
Kraken
There is a new firmware for your model here http://booxusers.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=405. I do not know if it helps with the battery problem or not but the equivalent firmware for the wifi models certainly has.
Stormchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 01:27 PM   #25
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraken View Post
Salud!

I recently bought a Boox (the version without WiFi and touchscreen) and I'm appalled with battery life. I had to recharge while reading a 1400 pages book. No way it can last 8000 page turns with a single charge.

The unit is great so far, this notwithstanding.
what type of file was it? When you first received your Boox did you charge it fully before first use or did you read with it on the charge from the factory?
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 07:17 PM   #26
Booxer
Booxer began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox
The update has significantly improved the battery life for my device. After downloading, the first problem I encountered was it wouldn't go into standby. I went into the settings and found that the update is on shutdown after 30 min as a default. After changing the setting, I had to reset it again because it simply wouldn't go into standby mode. But after the two resets, the battery life lasted for 10 days with minimal use(I strictly did a trial to see if the battery life had improved). Here is a few things I did to draw power from the device:
-I turned on the RSS Loader(twice during the period of 10 days)which used to consume a lot of power from the Wifi but with this update, even that app has improved in loading and its power consumption.
-Everyday, I opened a few books and turned pages and navigated through the menu. Did this for at least 20 minutes.
-I took out the stylus and used the screen to turn pages at times but mostly relied on the buttons to turn the pages.

All in all, it has increased the value of the device and is now getting close to norms of what an ereader battery should be.
Booxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 08:52 AM   #27
Kraken
Kraken began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox-S, Hanlin v3 (dead)
Salud!

Thanks, guys, The new firmware certainly has improved things A LOT. If not shut down, my book could lose 2 battery bars overnight, just from being idle. With the new update, after 24 hours in standby and two hundred pages read, it has lost just one. It definitely seems "hungrier" than my previous V3, but it's fully usable now.

(My problem was, I have a Boox labelled "Wolder", whose website just holds firmware 1.2something; I used the one from Onyx's site. Now I'm downloading the one for my WiFi-less unit. Thanks!)

(I read until I drained the "factory charge" before fully charging the battery for the first time; this "second charge" was the one I monitored.)

(I used to have a Hanlin V3 that died on me after just 2,5 years. I wanted to try a different model, and the Boox seemed to me the sturdiest/more comfortable. I'm very happy with it so far, specially now )

Thanks again!

Last edited by Kraken; 09-09-2010 at 08:58 AM.
Kraken is offline   Reply With Quote