Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-25-2006, 01:31 AM   #31
bingle
Addict
bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele
Thanks for the info, Bingle, but the TOC links or italics are stripped from the unsecure lit file where they do exist. Maybe it's an elements problem.

Edit: Clue: I noticed that the italicized text also disappears when I convert the same text from html to rtf. In html it has an <em> enclosing it (embedded?). Maybe someone knows more about this than I do, and it may be the same reason it disappears with BD.
Well, I've just realized that the text will get stripped of all formatting if you use the "very simple" option. So it's pretty useless to try to get it into BD that way.

However, as far as the links go, using VVV's earlier suggestion (manual editing via BookDesigner's "Notes and links" editor) works great. When you don't have too many things to deal with, manual editing of the notes isn't too bad. I've been experimenting some more with footnotes, and they work in the Connect software.

Of course, there's no way to make a complete book with links intact, so it's a moot point, I guess. I wish the Reader supported HTML, or that the BBeB format wasn't so fragile!
bingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 04:36 AM   #32
FangornUK
Addict
FangornUK has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FangornUK has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FangornUK has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FangornUK has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingle
Yeah, I just realized this also (after converting a ton of books... grumble). The "very simple" mode strips out all formatting, even simple things like italics and bold :-( So perhaps LRF is not the way to go after all, at least currently. I am holding out hope for either a Reader-specific extension to BookDesigner or an official set of LRF tools from Sony.

I guess for now it's back to RTFs for me...
Why don't you use Librie Toolbar? It converts HTML nicely, keeps italics etc, supports links, doesn't have pagination issues and produces an LRF. I tried PDF for a while but I don't like the way the Sony Reader smooths out the fonts, BBeBs (LRFs) are the only way for me. Librie Toolbar isn't perfect but until we get a complete tool from Sony I think its the best for creating e-Books, for now, on the Sony Reader.

Last edited by FangornUK; 10-25-2006 at 04:40 AM.
FangornUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 01:31 PM   #33
bingle
Addict
bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by FangornUK
Why don't you use Librie Toolbar? It converts HTML nicely, keeps italics etc, supports links, doesn't have pagination issues and produces an LRF. I tried PDF for a while but I don't like the way the Sony Reader smooths out the fonts, BBeBs (LRFs) are the only way for me. Librie Toolbar isn't perfect but until we get a complete tool from Sony I think its the best for creating e-Books, for now, on the Sony Reader.
Hmm, I tried it before and abandoned it for some reason. Now I'm not sure why... Perhaps because BookDesigner had fewer steps. (Most of the books I'm converting have been LIT files, so the Toolbar requires two conversions.)

But thanks for reminding me about it! I'll try it again.
bingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 01:38 PM   #34
valkyriesound
Connoisseur
valkyriesound doesn't littervalkyriesound doesn't litter

Dumb newbie question...

Where can I get this Libre toolbar?
It's not on my reader install disc....?
valkyriesound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 02:07 PM   #35
FangornUK
Addict
FangornUK has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FangornUK has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FangornUK has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FangornUK has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad, Kindle 3
Links and tutorial are here http://www.sven.de/librie/Librie/AddonSoftware
FangornUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 12:57 PM   #36
Gameboy70
Connoisseur
Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, 3rd Gen iPad
Has anyone figured out how to get Librie Toolbar to display in IE7? I have it in IE6 on my laptop, and was about to upgrade. But when I installed Toolbar on IE7 at work, I don't see an option in the View menu or anywhere else to display it.
Gameboy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 02:55 PM   #37
friendly
Banned
friendly began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 / iPad
Hi,
I gave up converting PDFs with all sorts of programmes, as the results were not very pleasing. The most acceptable way I have found so far is the conversion with ABBY FineReader an OCR programme. I guess other OCR programmes can do the same. After the conversion the files are not perfect, but better - a least in my opinion - than the results from special converting programmes.
Friedhelm
friendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 06:20 PM   #38
Gameboy70
Connoisseur
Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, 3rd Gen iPad
Answered my own question: I just had to restart IE, then go to View | Toolbars | Toolbar for Librie.
Gameboy70 is offline   Reply With Quote