Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-02-2012, 05:46 PM   #16
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by plib View Post
A return to firmware defaults, a "Factory Reset" in Kobo terminology, is the final "go to hell" option when nothing else works. As such it should be a hardware function, not software, and it should be the simplest possible hardware function - a one button push, not a function which requires a device which is already locked up to recognize that you are pressing/moving two buttons at once. .
Doesn't actually need to do that. See my post above. The hardware reset (paperclip button) restarts the processor at a known memory location, then it tests for the other button to see if a factory reset is required.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 05:55 PM   #17
plib
Guru
plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by jusmee View Post
Doesn't actually need to do that. See my post above. The hardware reset (paperclip button) restarts the processor at a known memory location, then it tests for the other button to see if a factory reset is required.
Umm, no, it doesn't.

On the Kobo the paperclip button is supposed to do a reset back to last known good configuration, or equivalent. The reset to firmware option is to press the Home button and power button simultaneously, which, in my case at least, didn't register. As both these buttons have alternate uses whatever was supposed to register the simultaneous press for a different purpose didn't work. Which only reinforces the point about the firmware reset button needing to be a single function hardware process.
plib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:20 PM   #18
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by plib View Post
Umm, no, it doesn't.

On the Kobo the paperclip button is supposed to do a reset back to last known good configuration, or equivalent. The reset to firmware option is to press the Home button and power button simultaneously, which, in my case at least, didn't register. As both these buttons have alternate uses whatever was supposed to register the simultaneous press for a different purpose didn't work. Which only reinforces the point about the firmware reset button needing to be a single function hardware process.
That's not how I understand it works. "known memory location" has nothing to do with "last known good config". The processor will always start from the same point after a hardware reset (paperclip), it then may choose to alter the defaults to factory before it continues to boot, if it sees the other (home) button is also pressed - but that's AFTER the hardware reset, because a crashed processor cannot do anything.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:46 PM   #19
plib
Guru
plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by jusmee View Post
That's not how I understand it works.
RTFM.

Last edited by plib; 03-02-2012 at 11:44 PM.
plib is offline   Reply With Quote