Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-29-2010, 10:47 PM   #1
ericshliao
Guru
ericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enough

Device: Dell X51v; iLiad v2
Multi-threading in FBReader

I am studying the possibility of adding multi-threading capability to FBReader.
Currently, FBReader-0.12.1 is running on my iLiad without any problem, but it takes 5 seconds to flip a page. Of the 5 secs, it takes 2 seconds for FBReader to refresh its GTK components, 1 second for xepdmgr to write data to framebuffer, and 2 seconds for iLiad to draw screen. If I can make FBReader prepare the next page in background, the speed of page-flip will be improved to 3 seconds.
Although I have created my homebrew app capable of doing such task by using pthread on iLiad, I have difficulities in modding FBReader because of the complexity of FBReader.
In the case of iPDF, iPDF creates image of content in the background and write the image to framebuffer. Since FBReader have several GTK components on screen, the iPDF way will not be working unless all the GTK components can converted to an image in the background. The problem is also the same even with xepdmgr, except that the step to convert GTK components to image is not needed.
If you have any idea or hint, please share it.

Last edited by ericshliao; 01-30-2010 at 01:50 AM.
ericshliao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 11:10 AM   #2
tovarish
Enthusiast
tovarish began at the beginning.

Device: HTC Touch Pro2
I hope you can do this. If you need any help you could contact me. I am an experienced c++ developer albeit with Qt, boost threads.

tovarish
tovarish is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2010, 05:33 AM   #3
ericshliao
Guru
ericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enough

Device: Dell X51v; iLiad v2
Tovarish, thanx for your kind offering.
I am getting some progress now.
ericshliao is offline   Reply With Quote