Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-09-2009, 04:43 AM   #1
balend
balend has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: kindle
Barnes and Noble confirms COLOR e-book reader for Spring 2010 [INCORRECT]

At CTIA, a Barnes & Noble let loose some info about a color e-book reader they have coming out. Link to article and video of Daniel Joresson, representative, talking about the e-book reader. http://techkritik.com/2009/10/09/bar...e-book-reader/

Last edited by zelda_pinwheel; 10-09-2009 at 10:07 AM. Reason: edited for front page
balend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 06:33 AM   #2
gollu
Unsullied
gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i
Here's the engadget article on that one : http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/09/b...-fo/#continued

Sounds to me like a game changing product.
gollu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2009, 06:52 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by gollu View Post
Here's the engadget article on that one : http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/09/b...-fo/#continued

Sounds to me like a game changing product.
iRex announced a colour device quite a while ago. What is it about this device that makes it more "game changing" than the iRex one, do you feel?

Last edited by HarryT; 10-09-2009 at 06:57 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 07:00 AM   #4
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gollu View Post
... Sounds to me like a game changing product.
Could be. I wonder if they'll sell The Five Gospels by Funk, Hoover, and The Jesus Seminar for the device? The book's color-code makes it unsuitable for all other readers, but it would be perfect for a color screen.

Wonder what the price is going to be?

Coupled with Barnes and Nobles massive collection of books, this could spell read trouble for other e-reader brands.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 07:08 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Coupled with Barnes and Nobles massive collection of books, this could spell read trouble for other e-reader brands.
Perhaps in the US, but don't forget that B&N don't sell internationally.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2009, 09:12 AM   #6
giddion
Connoisseur
giddion doesn't littergiddion doesn't litter

Device: samsung i910 now - cybook later
Again though typical of announcements around the plasic logic corp there is no physical demo unit. For about 2 years their sales people all ran around with a single demo unit (had the same defect in the upper left corner in every demo) that they wouldn't let anyone touch. I was amazed couple months ago when they did demo with two units and they actually let some of the press touch them.
giddion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 09:43 AM   #7
The-eBook-Reader
Groupie
The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: All
Personally, I don't trust Plastic Logic for anything. We've been hearing about their stupid device for years now; who knows if they're ever going to release it. And more importantly, they have no track record whatsoever of selling products and dealing with customer service and support.

By the time they finally get off their asses and release their device, we'll all be old geezers getting books wirelessly sent to our brains with ebook projecting rays.
The-eBook-Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 09:57 AM   #8
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
This 'advance', I must confess, leaves me cold. I can get colour newspapers, magazines and what have you on my PC, laptop or netbook -- even at the local news stand. My edbook reader is for ... please excuse me ... ebooks. And apart from the covers (which I see when I buy the books), they're in black and white.

Hey, please forgive me; I do realise that there are avid bookworms out there who do also want colour newspaper and magazines and documents on the train to work, so this ain't meant as a dig. Just that I don't want to see a hike in reader prices when the competition decides to chase colour.

Cheers. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 09:59 AM   #9
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
This 'advance', I must confess, leaves me cold. I can get colour newspapers, magazines and what have you on my PC, laptop or netbook -- even at the local news stand. My edbook reader is for ... please excuse me ... ebooks. And apart from the covers (which I see when I buy the books), they're in black and white.

Hey, please forgive me; I do realise that there are avid bookworms out there who do also want colour newspaper and magazines and documents on the train to work, so this ain't meant as a dig. Just that I don't want to see a hike in reader prices when the competition decides to chase colour.

Cheers. Neil
Keep in mind this would be useful for simpler things too, like Bibles where the words of Jesus are in red letters (and books with similarly limited colour use), for viewing scanned Medieval Codices, et cetera.

I'm not interested in magazines either, but colour for the above purposes would be a boon to me.

- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 10:05 AM   #10
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
i'd be thrilled to have a colour screen for illustrated books. it would also be great for children's books, particularly if it really is a flexible (and therefore more rugged) screen.

now we just need to see the refresh rate, colour saturation, and price... among other details.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 10:16 AM   #11
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Colour eh?
Now that's just showing off
Seriously though, this sounds very good.
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 10:19 AM   #12
kalitara
kalitara began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Will this have something similar to the Whispernet instant download?
kalitara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 10:30 AM   #13
gollu
Unsullied
gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i
Having a color screen and a nice OS makes the device more than a book reader. It may become close to netbook in usability, as well as digital frame for time when not in use.
And as a text book reader - it for a first time becomes usable for graphs and cpmplex drawings.

Last but not least - I've heard a few people saying "B&W nahhh, I am not interested." Now they may change their mind.
gollu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 10:41 AM   #14
JayCeeEll
Connoisseur
JayCeeEll doesn't litterJayCeeEll doesn't litterJayCeeEll doesn't litter

Device: PRS-300
Even if the colour screens are initially more expensive than the greyscale ones, I think that this can only help to reduce the price of greyscale units next year.
JayCeeEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 10:42 AM   #15
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist
Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: :PRS-505::iPod touch:
A big question is who exactly is this Daniel Joresson guy. I've worked for companies that would send sales guys to these sorts of trade shows and we'd hear about ludicrous claims about what our products could do. Thankfully, none of those were ever recorded and posted all over the internet for everyone to see.
Abecedary is offline   Reply With Quote