Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-14-2015, 04:55 PM   #181
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
libpng16 **should** support all of the symbols of libpng12

The easiest way is to try it.

Go to the directory that has libpng12 -
Enter the command:
Code:
ln -s libpng16 libpng12
Then try Kterm again.

The symbols in ELF libraries are versioned, the dynamic loader can figure out the correct entry points.

- - - -

Otherwise, you'll have to download the earlier firmware version from Amazon -
Then use KindleTool to unpack the update, find libpng12, and move it to the same place on the Kindle that holds libpng16.

Note:
You shouldn't have to diddle LD_LIBRARY_PATH any more than it already gets diddled in either case.

Last edited by knc1; 08-14-2015 at 04:58 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 05:18 PM   #182
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Note:
You shouldn't have to diddle LD_LIBRARY_PATH any more than it already gets diddled in either case.
Unless you simply want to keep the "mntroot rw && add_random_stuff && mntoroot ro" to a minimum.
But it could be safely assumed a symlink is not going to fill up the empty space on the system partition.

Thought I'd mention it anyway.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2015, 07:57 PM   #183
ssholloway
Connoisseur
ssholloway has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ssholloway has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ssholloway has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPhone6, iPadMiniRetina, KindlePW3, KoboGloHD
Thanks, knc1 and eachwartz. I appreciate your help. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find the directory containing libpng12. I found libpng.so and libpng16.so in /usr/lib but not libpng12. Thoughts?
ssholloway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 09:19 PM   #184
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
There is no libpng12.so -- create it, as a link to libpng16.so

Code:
cd /usr/lib
mntroot rw && ln -s libpng.16.so libpng.12.so && mntroot ro

Last edited by eschwartz; 08-16-2015 at 09:24 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 09:20 PM   #185
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssholloway View Post
Thanks, knc1 and eachwartz. I appreciate your help. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find the directory containing libpng12. I found libpng.so and libpng16.so in /usr/lib but not libpng12. Thoughts?
As user 'root' -
Code:
mntroot rw
cd /usr/lib
ln -s libpng16.so libpng12.so
mntroot ro
Then restart the machine
Advert
Old 08-22-2015, 05:00 PM   #186
ssholloway
Connoisseur
ssholloway has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ssholloway has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ssholloway has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPhone6, iPadMiniRetina, KindlePW3, KoboGloHD
Quote:
As user 'root' -
Code:
mntroot rw
cd /usr/lib
ln -s libpng16.so libpng12.so
mntroot ro
Then restart the machine
I tried this but it kterm still won't run so I probably did something wrong.

Thank you, knc1 and eschwartz, for trying to help. Kterm is not something I used very often so I'll wait to see if someone else is able to get it to work.
ssholloway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 06:01 PM   #187
knc1
Going Viral

hmm...
libpng16.so might not be the file,
So just do:
Code:
cd /usr/lib
ls -l libpng*
(that is dash-ell, not dash-one)

then post the result here.
it will be small enough to in-line here, inside of a code - /code pair of tags.
You will see an example of the tags when quote this message.
Old 08-27-2015, 06:11 PM   #188
normanr
normanr began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW2
PW2 with 5.6.5:
Quote:
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 11 Aug 1 00:53 /usr/lib/libpng.so -> libpng16.so
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 19 Aug 1 00:53 /usr/lib/libpng16.so -> libpng16.so.16.15.0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 19 Aug 1 00:53 /usr/lib/libpng16.so.16 -> libpng16.so.16.15.0
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 158032 Aug 1 00:50 /usr/lib/libpng16.so.16.15.0
I tried binary patching matchbox keyboard to use libpng16.so, and got the following instead:
Quote:
/mnt/us/extensions/kterm/bin/matchbox-keyboard: /usr/lib/libpng16.so: version `PNG12_0' not found (required by /mnt/us/extensions/kterm/bin/matchbox-keyboard)
More binary patching just produces:
Quote:
/mnt/us/extensions/kterm/bin/matchbox-keyboard: /usr/lib/libpng16.so: version `PNG16_0' not found (required by /mnt/us/extensions/kterm/bin/matchbox-keyboard)
My process:
Quote:
mv matchbox-keyboard matchbox-keyboard.libpng12
cat matchbox-keyboard.libpng12 | sed -e 's/png12/png16/' -e 's/PNG12/PNG16/' > matchbox-keyboard
dd if=/dev/zero of=matchbox-keyboard bs=1 count=2 seek=4496 conv=notrunc
diff <(hd matchbox-keyboard.libpng12) <(hd matchbox-keyboard)

Last edited by normanr; 08-27-2015 at 06:52 PM.
normanr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 07:22 PM   #189
Micky Wicky
Micky Wicky began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW2
I've worked out a solution here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=1#post3159397
Micky Wicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 11:15 AM   #190
baf
Evangelist
baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kt
matchbox-keyboard rebuilt with new libpng

I accidentally stumbled upon this thread. It seems I stopped receiving mobileread notifications. You could have attracted my attention through issues on kterm github page.
From the thread I gather that the problem is related to matchbox-keyboard, because it links to libpng. Kterm itself should not be affected.

I rebuilt matchbox-keyboard with libpng16. I hope it will solve the problem (unless I spoilt something else). Maybe someone could test the new binary. If it is ok, I could make new package for kterm.

Greetings to all!

UPDATE: New tested package for firmware 5.6.5 and above is on the kterm page.

Last edited by baf; 11-14-2015 at 04:37 AM.
baf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 11:26 AM   #191
knc1
Going Viral

The most actively maintained matchbox-keyboard seems to be here:
https://github.com/xlab/matchbox-keyboard
Which had the libpng related updates done about 2 months ago.
Old 11-03-2015, 11:43 AM   #192
baf
Evangelist
baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The most actively maintained matchbox-keyboard seems to be here:
https://github.com/xlab/matchbox-keyboard
Which had the libpng related updates done about 2 months ago.
I doubt any of the newer versions of matchbox-keyboard would work on Kindle out of a box. Last time I played with it all newer versions were crashing, so I ended up patching some ancient release. Maybe more chances with the new firmware (?) but I don't have a supported device to test it.

Did you try the recompiled version from the previous post?
Old 11-03-2015, 12:09 PM   #193
knc1
Going Viral

I just didn't see any reference to matchbox-keyboard your using at the github repo you posted.
Other than the matchbox-keyboard patch in your tree.

Since there are a lot of matchbox-keyboard forks lose, maybe mentioning which one you are using would be helpful.
Even better, a link to the actual repo you are using for mbk.
Old 11-03-2015, 12:26 PM   #194
baf
Evangelist

Quote:
I just didn't see any reference to matchbox-keyboard your using at the github repo you posted.
Other than the matchbox-keyboard patch in your tree.

Since there are a lot of matchbox-keyboard forks lose, maybe mentioning which one you are using would be helpful.
Even better, a link to the actual repo you are using for mbk.
Keyboard used in kterm is matchbox-keyboard_0.1+svn20080916.
Old 11-03-2015, 01:38 PM   #195
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by baf View Post
Keyboard used in kterm is matchbox-keyboard_0.1+svn20080916.
Ah, so, Debian

This one:
https://packages.debian.org/source/j...chbox-keyboard
And:
https://sources.debian.net/src/match...vn20080916-10/

Tags
kindle touch, kindle touch hacks, terminal emulator