Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-07-2013, 05:47 AM   #1231
Hendrixxxxxxxx
Connoisseur
Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Device: Kindle DX, Paperwhite, Paperwhite II, and Voyage
Now you've gone way past my level of competence and started talking gibberish but someone on here will have the expertise to help you.
Hendrixxxxxxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:54 AM   #1232
johnleo
Enthusiast
johnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it isjohnleo knows what time it is

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrixxxxxxxx View Post
Maybe, as yiming suggested, it's a font issue. I only use the standard Kindle fonts.
That's very possible since we both read Chinese a lot.
johnleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2013, 04:34 PM   #1233
SampleAndy
Addict
SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, KFire HD, KFire, KTD 3g, KT, K4B, K4S, K3g, K3g SO, K2, K1
Not that my brain's good for anything at the best of times, but this has got me totally confused. I downgraded my firmware from 5.3.3 to 5.3.1, installed kpw_jb_520-531, upgraded firmware back to 5.3.3, upgraded(re-installed) dev certificates, kindle jb bridge, rescue pack, upgraded(installed) kindlet-jailbreak-20121029, and then the fun started.

Copied update_jbpatch_3.2.1_fw532_install to the Kindle, Safely Disconnected, [menu][Settings][menu] Update Your Kindle is greyed out... Connect Kindle, the file is gone. Repeated two more times with the same results, then restarted and repeated once more, STILL with the same results.

Any thoughts? Suggestions? Help? (sigh)
SampleAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:00 PM   #1234
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
A "restart" will delete any non-Amazon update or install *.bin

If you had the new Launcher installed, you would have a "run grayed-out update" button.

Try this thread for hints:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=192
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:26 PM   #1235
SampleAndy
Addict
SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

uhm... Thanks for responding, but... I'm afraid I don't understand how what you said relates to my question. I only restarted after trying to install the current JBPatch three times. It seems like the file is deleted as soon as I "Safely Remove" the Kindle. Of course since I'm not connected to it anymore, I can't tell. I was hoping that it would clear out any garbage when I actually restarted it, but I didn't see any difference in trying to install it the fourth time from the previous three.

I was trying to get JBPatch installed like I had on my Touch. The Launcher (whatever that is) was not part of the process, at least not that I was aware of. Is this something that is specific to the Paperwhite? From what I remember (and what I just read in the first post) all you need to do on the Touch is jailbreak, kindlet jailbreak and JBPatch. Done!

This time, not so easy.
Advert
Old 02-08-2013, 06:05 PM   #1236
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SampleAndy View Post
uhm... Thanks for responding, but... I'm afraid I don't understand how what you said relates to my question. I only restarted after trying to install the current JBPatch three times. It seems like the file is deleted as soon as I "Safely Remove" the Kindle. Of course since I'm not connected to it anymore, I can't tell. I was hoping that it would clear out any garbage when I actually restarted it, but I didn't see any difference in trying to install it the fourth time from the previous three.

I was trying to get JBPatch installed like I had on my Touch. The Launcher (whatever that is) was not part of the process, at least not that I was aware of. Is this something that is specific to the Paperwhite? From what I remember (and what I just read in the first post) all you need to do on the Touch is jailbreak, kindlet jailbreak and JBPatch. Done!

This time, not so easy.
Try this post for hints at what might have been different about your own process:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=192
Old 02-08-2013, 06:25 PM   #1237
SampleAndy
Addict

I read that twice from your first post. The main things I saw that were different were that your instructions were for installing the Unified Application Launcher. I saw no mention of JBPatch anywhere. According to the first post in THIS thread, "GUI Launcher Integration (KT):
If you wish to access JBPatch from the GUI Launcher, you can use this file. This is not required, just an optional feature."
Old 02-08-2013, 06:30 PM   #1238
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:

This time, not so easy.
So read the first post of this thread again, do not skim over the "Requirements" section.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:37 PM   #1239
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
@SampleAndy-
If what you typed is correct, it looks like you are using the wrong JBPatch update file....double check. This is the one you want:

Kindle Paperwhite, Firmware 5.3.1 or 5.3.3: download *_fw531.zip
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:38 PM   #1240
SampleAndy
Addict

Requirements:
Kindle Touch, Firmware 5.1.0 - 5.1.2, or 5.3.2, or Kindle Paperwhite, Firmware 5.3.1 or 5.3.3
got it.

Of course, the jailbreak is required.
got it.

In addition, the user interface requires the Kindlet Jailbreak.
got it.

Reading through the rest yet again, but... In case you're still here, and still talking to me. :-s
Old 02-08-2013, 06:42 PM   #1241
knc1
Going Viral

Developer Certificates.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:47 PM   #1242
SampleAndy
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSharks View Post
@SampleAndy-
If what you typed is correct, it looks like you are using the wrong JBPatch update file....double check. This is the one you want:

Kindle Paperwhite, Firmware 5.3.1 or 5.3.3: download *_fw531.zip
Look up the word moron in the Oxford English Dictionary and there's my picture! ... (no, not angry, embarassed. stoopid smilies)

Thanks, Sharks. I probably would have never seen that. Only justification is that it's been a long week.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:47 PM   #1243
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Copied update_jbpatch_3.2.1_fw532_install to the Kindle,
If you're applying to a PW, this is the wrong update bin.

edit *******you don't need this posted twice.....

Last edited by GoSharks; 02-09-2013 at 10:23 AM. Reason: slow typing, previous post seen
Old 02-08-2013, 06:49 PM   #1244
SampleAndy
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Developer Certificates.
from post 1233, "...upgraded(re-installed) dev certificates..."

Thanks for playing knc1. :-)

Really, I DO appreciate your help and time... and hell, patience, too.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:50 PM   #1245
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!

Quote:
Look up the word moron in the Oxford English Dictionary and there's my picture! ... (no, not angry, embarassed. stoopid smilies)
With JBPatch, you can use all of your dictionaries!! Been there, done that!

Tags
jbpatch, kindle touch hacks