Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-13-2007, 09:11 AM   #16
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Maybe it was originally a codex, and aquired its name as such; but got converted to a scroll when the binding broke.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 09:12 AM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Just goes to show that some people have no taste in books .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2007, 09:29 AM   #18
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
I like the Belgariad well enough, though it seemed that the women all had the same personality. Subsequent series all seemed to be only a rehash of the original's plot.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 09:50 AM   #19
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra_lestat View Post
He cannot look up "Codex" or any other word in a dictionary anymore. He passed away half year ago I think.

I was not impressed by Belgariad.
I found it way too simple, naive, very young adult type fantasy.
He is a great fantasy author for kids and teenagers to get them into fantasy (10-15 years old). However, if you read him for the first time when you are older, after you have read a lot of other fantasy works then it is meh...

If I am not mistaken, The Belgariad was rebranded kid's fiction. Which suits it quite well
Forgive me to write in because I know nothing of this author but what language did he write in originally? And in which language have you read those Astra lestat?
It kind or reaches my 'beef' with translators. I suspect that in this case he might have embellished Belgariad's stories.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 10:08 AM   #20
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
what language did he write in originally?
English

Quote:
And in which language have you read those Astra lestat?
English

P.S. I know that I am not the only one who absolutely hates The Redemption of Althalus and who thinks that Eddings is kid's fantasy writer
I have read many topics on 2 big fantasy forums about it. However, I read Eddings before I joined these fantasy forums, so my opinion was not biased.
It is not a big deal I was just very surprised to hear it from Harry_T. Frankly speaking I have not met anyone yet (on forums) who likes The Redemption of Althalus.

Last edited by astra; 11-13-2007 at 10:19 AM.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2007, 10:13 AM   #21
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well you got me there!
Old 11-14-2007, 02:25 AM   #22
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I was just very surprised to hear it from Harry_T. Frankly speaking I have not met anyone yet (on forums) who likes The Redemption of Althalus.
I think it's an absolutely wonderful book. Just goes to show that, as you say, we all have different likes and dislikes!
Old 11-14-2007, 10:44 AM   #23
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
On the other hand, Jason K. Chapman seems to think that "enervate" means the opposite of what it actually does.
Oh, sure. Pick on me when my back is turned. I swear it was energized in the original draft. As always, I blame it on the editor.
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 10:48 AM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Jason's supposed error.. another one of those pesky OCR errors.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 11:11 AM   #25
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User

Quote:
English

English

P.S. I know that I am not the only one who absolutely hates The Redemption of Althalus and who thinks that Eddings is kid's fantasy writer
I have read many topics on 2 big fantasy forums about it. However, I read Eddings before I joined these fantasy forums, so my opinion was not biased.
It is not a big deal I was just very surprised to hear it from Harry_T. Frankly speaking I have not met anyone yet (on forums) who likes The Redemption of Althalus.
Tell me astra, I would like to know what makes you feel this author is writing kid's books, I have not read him so I can not have a good idea yet. Does it have to do with the 'Category system' ?

If it's the kind of story then why do we read Harry Potter? Wasn't that supposed to be kid's stuff? Kid's stuff can be written in proper English and the stories be comforting and still complex. I believe that kids have to be talked to in the same correct way adults do; I hate seeing a parent goo-gooing! Even if a kid is not yet learned he still is as intelligent as he'll be for the rest of his life. He must be addressed so as to stimulate the use of his gift. To me, even at fifty, some adult stuff turning around sex, alcohol, drugs, violence, murder and war, is actually boring. If it does not have that spark of imagination, a sense of beauty and a touch of the marvelous, I'll get bored... and not like.
Old 11-14-2007, 11:34 AM   #26
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkchapman View Post
Oh, sure. Pick on me when my back is turned. I swear it was energized in the original draft. As always, I blame it on the editor.
I only pick on people I like, Jason. And I'm really enjoying Heretic.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 12:10 PM   #27
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
Tell me astra, I would like to know what makes you feel this author is writing kid's books, I have not read him so I can not have a good idea yet. Does it have to do with the 'Category system' ?
It is not serious. It is completely predictable. You ALWAYS know that protagonists will win and get from ANY situation unscathed. The Redemption of Althalus is beyond that. When a Goddess loves you and plans to make you her husband, you can do anything. There are no laws. You just think: I want a back door from this situation, and it is there for you. The Belgariad is just too naive. Kids who still believe and like fairy tales - are the target group
The storyline is simple, one dimention.

About translations.
I think I have figured out why I hate sci-fi.
I don't understand plain English.

I have started to read Black Man....

It has started with:

automated gurney as it tracks under a linear succession of lighting panels and lateral rood struts.
I had to open dictionary and translate it...done.

then: she is in the dorsal corridor. What does it mean?
next: the accustomed groggy swim of the decanting drugs. what is it?
next: One hand rests on her chest, pressing into the thin fabric of the cryocap leotard. I translated leotard but what is cryocap???

The cormorant's legacy, yes, again. what does it mean?

help?

Last edited by astra; 11-14-2007 at 01:39 PM.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 12:13 PM   #28
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
A "codex", in case anyone doesn't know, is a book. ie it is specifically not a scroll. The invention of the codex revolutionised reading because you can "flip through" a codex, whereas the only way to read a scroll is from "end to end" (plus the fact that, when you've finished it, you have to "rewind" it for the next reader).
i didn't know, thanks for that clarification! gotta check out that "karma" button!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
codexes (codexi?)
codices ?
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 12:17 PM   #29
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
then: she is in the dorsal corridor. What does it mean?
"dorsal" means "running along the spine". Eg, the fin of a shark is a "dorsal fin".

Quote:
next: the accustomed groggy swim of the decanting drugs. what is it?
"decant" means "to pour out"

Quote:
next: One hand rests on her chest, pressing into the thin fabric of the cryocap leotard. I translated leotard but what is cryocap???
That's not a normal English word, but the prefix "cryo" means "cold", so presumably it's some sort of "cold" cap.

Quote:
The cormorant's legacy, yes, again. what does it mean?
A cormorant is a sea bird.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:18 PM   #30
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mores View Post
i didn't know, thanks for that clarification! gotta check out that "karma" button!

codices ?
Yes, "codices" would be the correct Latin plural, but "codexes" is just fine too in English.