Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 07-18-2013, 10:24 PM   #811
dkperez
Groupie
dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nine
CoolReader on a Nexus 7 Appears to quit

I installed Cool Reader on my Nexus 7. Works fine with one exception. Every so often, I'll do a "Next Page" and it'll dump me back to the Home page. When I restart it, I'll be between 10 and 30 pages behind where I was when I had the problem...

I checked sourceforge, and it says the current version is what's on the Nexus, so as near as I can tell it's current.

Is there a way on the Nexus for me to see what's happening? Error code or whatever?
dkperez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 03:24 AM   #812
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
New CR3 Update on PlayStore 2013-07-26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
the developer buggins seems to have stopped working on it now as havent seen him on any of the forums he frequent in months its sad as he had plans of adding sync between devices.
Buggins seems to be back at work on CoolReader 3, since I just got notification of a new update on the Play Store.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2013, 05:59 AM   #813
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
Buggins seems to be back at work on CoolReader 3, since I just got notification of a new update on the Play Store.
Yes I saw the update I have coolreader sourceforge page in my rss reader it didnt show any activity so the update was a surprise
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 06:12 AM   #814
pkbo
Addict
pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
I have coolreader sourceforge page in my rss reader it didnt show any activity so the update was a surprise
I believe rss feed url have been changed sometime ago.

Last edited by pkbo; 07-26-2013 at 07:17 AM.
pkbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 01:39 PM   #815
LWTBP
LWTBP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LWTBP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LWTBP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LWTBP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LWTBP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LWTBP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LWTBP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LWTBP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LWTBP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LWTBP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LWTBP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Can someone direct me to the right way to let the developer know that the Cool Reader for Windows 7 is not working well with Table of Contents?

Otherwise a superfast and beautiful reader it is.
LWTBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2013, 01:49 PM   #816
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWTBP View Post
Can someone direct me to the right way to let the developer know that the Cool Reader for Windows 7 is not working well with Table of Contents?
Buggins left this note on the Sourceforge support site.
Quote:
Originally Posted by from the Sourceforge support site
Best Way to Get Help
Cool Reader says the best way to get help with its software is by visiting http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func...84&atid=936756.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:39 AM   #817
LWTBP
LWTBP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LWTBP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LWTBP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LWTBP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LWTBP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LWTBP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LWTBP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LWTBP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LWTBP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LWTBP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LWTBP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Wow. Getting a proper account on SourceForge to make a post is a pain in the ***. Nevermind I suppose.
LWTBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 03:03 PM   #818
Daddyspice
Daddyspice began at the beginning.

Device: Nexus 7
The crash-and-lose-your-page error is still not fixed with the latest update. Doesn't the author read all the error reports in the Play Store comments? I still think Cool Reader is the best e-reader when it works, so I dropped back to version 3.0.55-32, which seems to be the last good version before this error crept in. The author needs to save the page number after every page-turn. Better yet -- fix the crashes!

You can get the older version by loading the app at f-droid.org, which has older versions of many apps, when the Play Store is not an option. This older version doesn't have Cool Reader's fancy new interface, but the reader itself is great: no crashes, no losing your place. I'll try each new update as it comes out, but at the first sign of a crash-and-lose-page error, I'll drop back to my (now-backed-up) older version.

Last edited by Daddyspice; 08-22-2013 at 03:06 PM.
Daddyspice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:50 PM   #819
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddyspice View Post
The crash-and-lose-your-page error is still not fixed with the latest update. Doesn't the author read all the error reports in the Play Store comments? I still think Cool Reader is the best e-reader when it works, so I dropped back to version 3.0.55-32, which seems to be the last good version before this error crept in. The author needs to save the page number after every page-turn. Better yet -- fix the crashes!

You can get the older version by loading the app at f-droid.org, which has older versions of many apps, when the Play Store is not an option. This older version doesn't have Cool Reader's fancy new interface, but the reader itself is great: no crashes, no losing your place. I'll try each new update as it comes out, but at the first sign of a crash-and-lose-page error, I'll drop back to my (now-backed-up) older version.
You can get all the versions of coolreader from its sourceforge page.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/cren...s/CoolReader3/
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 01:04 AM   #820
Dave_S
What Title ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddyspice View Post
Doesn't the author read all the error reports in the Play Store comments?
Probably not, since that is not what the Play Store reviews are for. Many app authors leave a disclaimer concerning that very subject in the Play Store app description, but I guess Buggins did not do that. He did leave a feedback URL in the description though. For bug reports see post #816 in this thread.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:01 PM   #821
AngelRacer
AngelRacer began at the beginning.

Device: Nexus 7
Cool reader now losing its paragraph formatting and table of contents

My cool reader program on my Nexus 7 and on my Pantech phone no longer shows the table of contents or paragraph formatting of my book of poems. WHAT CAN I DO TO FIX THE FILE???

It was working great before when I just put in a txt file. It used to automatically detect each different poem and make up a table of contents for each poem and I could click on a poem title in the table of contents to go right to the poem.

After editing the txt file and bringing it in again..it loses the table of contents. It only shows one item in the table of contents and everything is just in one long txt paragraph with no paragraph formatting.???

I had a doc file for the poems and then converted them using Open Office Writer to a txt file. This worked great at first but now everything just comes out as one long text in Cool Reader.
AngelRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:07 PM   #822
MrsKravitz
MrsKravitz began at the beginning.

Device: Galaxy Nexus
ETA: Thanks to all who read the original message. Meantime I've downloaded a reading app with an easily accessible settings menu, and when I have the chance, I will spend more time trying to figure out how to use Cool Reader.

I am trying to use CoolReader with the new Nexus 7. Can someone explain how I can summon the options menu (to change things like background dimming, size and type of font, etc.). Is there a consistent way to do this? I've tried tapping, pressing, swiping, flicking, holding the tap for a few seconds, swiping harder... nothing works. Once in a while the menu shows up, clearly as a result of some gesture I'm making, but I can't figure out what to do it to get it to come up in any consistent fashion. There are no little dots on the screen like in many other apps.

Somehow I remember this being easier to do on my old Nexus 7.

Many thanks for any guidance.

Last edited by MrsKravitz; 08-31-2013 at 09:04 PM. Reason: ETA: Please disregard, and thanks for reading. I will try to find the answer through more research. Meantime I downloaded a different reader app with an easily accessible settings menu.
MrsKravitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 02:41 AM   #823
Dave_S
What Title ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsKravitz View Post
I am trying to use CoolReader with the new Nexus 7. Can someone explain how I can summon the options menu (to change things like background dimming, size and type of font, etc.). Is there a consistent way to do this?
I may be a little fuzzy in trying to explain this, since I do not have the identical problem. If you have disabled the menu bar at the top of the reading screen, then you may experience the problem you describe.

I vaguely remember CoolReader showing a one time start up screen right after I installed and started it on my new Nexus 7b, which said something like you describe would happen Androids above 4.0 on devices without hardware menu buttons? IIRC, you get the full menu set that you are looking for by long tapping on any blank portion of the screen? Maybe someone else can correct me if I misremembered that one time start up screen? I tried simulating your situation on my CR3 and Nexus 7b, and the full menu screen popped up as I described.
Old 09-01-2013, 02:52 PM   #824
Merischino
Groupie
Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Pixel 2, Kindle Fire HD 8
Mrs Kravitz,

I was able to recreate your issue by going into CooReader "options" and adding checkmarks to "fullscreen mode" and "hide toolbar in fullscreen" in the settings page between "css" and the little pointing "hand".

CoolReader has what it calls tap zones (what you can configure if you click on the icon of the hand, second options/settings icon from the right).

The default tap zones and associated actions will be displayed if you select the hand icon in your settings/options page the next time you manage to find it (most likely, by tapping in the center tap zone, right in the middle of your ereader's book page).

Although you can configure these, I do not recommend changing the tap zone actions (unless you really want to commit every change you make to memory.

Ok, the above probably gave you enough but if you need specific directions to fix your problem:

1. open cool reader, open a book
2. tap in the very middle of your screen - the settings menu should open up
3. tap on the crossed hammer and wrench icon, "options"
4. tap on the icon 4th from the left or 3rd from the right at the top, looks like a page with a folded corner
5. uncheck "fullscreen mode"

->5.5 tap on "toolbar position" and choose anything other than "none". this will make the single-row toolbar with a dedicated settings icon always be visible.

6. uncheck "hide toolbar in fullscreen"
7. tap on the icon second from right at the top, looks like a hand pointing
8. tap on "tap zone actions", do not make any changes. Just familiarize yourself with the defaults.
Note: the bolded ones tell you what happens if you tap quickly. the regular ones tell you what happens if you do a long tap.

Hope this helps!
Merischino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 03:01 PM   #825
rimugu
rimugu began at the beginning.

Device: Android phone
Could somebody tell me if Cool Reader support links in epub files in Android?

There seems to be format for links, but I cannot find how to "click" on them. Een after disable all single click options, it just wants to do a zone action.

Last edited by rimugu; 09-05-2013 at 03:33 PM.
rimugu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cool reader, fb2 epub rtf chm fbreader