Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-05-2013, 07:26 PM   #1
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Ghost and Mrs. Muir

Has anyone here come across "The Ghost and Mrs. Muir" as an ebook? It's by R.A. Dick (a pen name of Josephine Leslie 1898-1979) and I have yet to find any trace of an ebook edition anywhere.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:49 PM   #2
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
I had no idea that it was a book! I know it only as a movie and TV show.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2013, 07:58 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Has anyone here come across "The Ghost and Mrs. Muir" as an ebook? It's by R.A. Dick (a pen name of Josephine Leslie 1898-1979) and I have yet to find any trace of an ebook edition anywhere.
Both Google Books and Amazon do not have it available as an eBook.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:41 PM   #4
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
I had no idea that it was a book! I know it only as a movie and TV show.
Yep. I read a copy borrowed from the Public Library some yrs back. As I recall there are a number of things that were changed between the book and the movie.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:50 PM   #5
dandelioncottage
Abibliophobe
dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 2 64 gb, Nook Glowlight, iPad 4 (128 gb)
No, but I would absolutely love to find it as an ebook. I have the pbook, which I've read many times. With the movie being such a classic, you'd think some publisher would revive it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
dandelioncottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2013, 02:06 PM   #6
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelioncottage View Post
No, but I would absolutely love to find it as an ebook. I have the pbook, which I've read many times. With the movie being such a classic, you'd think some publisher would revive it.
As would I. I haven't got a pbook copy (just read a copy borrowed from the library) but I have seen the movie countless times. It's got a very nice ending for a ghost story.
Old 02-09-2013, 01:00 PM   #7
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
One of my favorite movies! I too had no idea it was available as a book. I'll have to look for the book now, I'd love to read it.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 03:28 PM   #8
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
I see the hardback at Amazon, but no paperback.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 03:47 PM   #9
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Yes, and though there are some good points to having a hard copy edition I want them to make a kindle of it myself.
Old 02-09-2013, 03:56 PM   #10
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Deleted as I thought they had it in paperback, but I realize now it's from a different author. They have it listed incorrectly.

Last edited by sparklemotion; 02-09-2013 at 03:58 PM.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:07 PM   #11
dandelioncottage
Abibliophobe
dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 2 64 gb, Nook Glowlight, iPad 4 (128 gb)
There was a TV show tie-in paperback by Alice Denham that was later reprinted in hardback, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
Deleted as I thought they had it in paperback, but I realize now it's from a different author. They have it listed incorrectly.
dandelioncottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:10 PM   #12
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I recently scanned a library copy of "The Uninvited" by Dorothy Macardle, which the 1944 movie with Ray Milland, Ruth Hussey and Gail Russel is based on. The basic plot is the same between the movie and book, but the book has many more characters than the movie, so it's definitely worth the read even if you've seen the movie. I thought it would be out of copyright, but now that it's 70 years, I'm pretty sure it's not. Otherwise I'd upload it here.

But the "Ghost and Mrs. Muir" is another favorite old movie, and I might be tempted to scan it at some point and wait for copyrights to run out. I think it's unlikely that any of these older books along these lines will ever be made into ebooks unless fans do it themselves.

Edit: Unlikely unless I find a paperback or cheap hardcover of it, my library doesn't even have the book.

Last edited by Ripplinger; 02-10-2013 at 10:16 PM.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:16 PM   #13
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
I recently scanned a library copy of "The Uninvited" by Dorothy Macardle . . . I thought it would be out of copyright, but now that it's 70 years, I'm pretty sure it's not.
Correct for the US. Hopefully you scanned it when in Canada

(Macardle died in 1958, so her works entered the Canadian public domain on January 1, 2009.)
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:25 PM   #14
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Yes, of course I scanned in Canada!

But fun aside, I thought it depended where the author was from. You mean the copyright laws depend on where the reader is from?
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:54 PM   #15
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
You mean the copyright laws depend on where the reader is from?
Excruciating details can be found on Wikipedia.

But, at least for the US/Canada differences, my understanding is that it matters where you physically were at the moment of copying or downloading.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote