Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 01-27-2011, 04:30 PM   #1
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
Just What Does Merge Do?

I was playing with importing books and merging the data.

If I reimport a book that is in Calibre, and it merges the data, it doesn't replace the actual book.

If I save a book to disk, and import the book from one source, and reimport the saved book, the metadata doesn't return.

If I just reimport the book from the saved copy, I get the metadata.

So what is actually happening?

It seems like not much.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:52 AM   #2
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
I was playing with importing books and merging the data.
The merge code is mine, so I'll help if I can.

Quote:
If I reimport a book that is in Calibre, and it merges the data, it doesn't replace the actual book.
Correct. This is import, not merge, but there is an automerge option of mine that is off by default. If the automerge option is on (Import/Export|Adding Books|If books with similar author title found ...") then it will add any new formats and ignore any pre-existing formats. Metadata is ignored. Calibre has a design philosophy of trying to make it hard to inadvertently overwrite existing books.
Quote:
If I save a book to disk, and import the book from one source, and reimport the saved book, the metadata doesn't return.
If you have the option on to save opf file (contains metadata) and the cover, then it will bring that metadata/cover data with it, provided that it's making a new record. It won't make a new record if you already have that book and you have the automerge option on.

Quote:
If I just reimport the book from the saved copy, I get the metadata.

So what is actually happening?

It seems like not much.
Metadata only comes in with a book when a new record is created. You're really asking an import question, not a merge question. Once the metadata is in Calibre, you can merge the record with another record, and that process merges the metadata. If you already have a book, and you want to bring in new metadata or a duplicate existing format for that book, turn off automerge, say yes when it asks if you want to create a duplicate record, then manually merge the records.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 02:55 PM   #3
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I guess it is an Import question. But it is about the Merge portion of the import.

But it sounds like there is no way to automatically do what I sort of expected it to do. But then again, it has no way of knowing what to keep and what to over right.

Thanks.
So if you manually merge, how do you decide what to keep and what to overright?
Old 01-28-2011, 03:00 PM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
In this case the first item selected is given priority during the merge.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 03:36 PM   #5
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
As itimpi said, the first selected has priority. It will keep single valued fields from the first selected record (author, title, dates, publisher, etc) and merge together multi-valued fields (tags, comments, etc.) while removing any duplicates from those fields. If a single valued field is "empty" it will fill from the second record, and then from the third record, until it finds a non-empty content for that field.

Last edited by Starson17; 02-01-2011 at 01:52 PM.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 06:43 AM   #6
Pinecone
Guru

OK, so it also keeps the first selected book file?

So the work I did yesterday would only have been marginally helped by Merge.

Thanks.