Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 11-29-2007, 07:11 PM   #61
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
I still have a bug that causes the Gen3 to crash if I use images larger than a certain size (e.g. 600x800). If I reduce the size so that the width is 480 it works. So does anybody have any idea about something in the MOBI header that could cause this?
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 07:16 PM   #62
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Do they work in mobigen generated files? It could be just a limitation of Cybook's viewer.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 08:03 PM   #63
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Do they work in mobigen generated files? It could be just a limitation of Cybook's viewer.
Yes. The Alice mobi-file contains a gif (the cover) that is 600x800 and it works on the Cybook. Hum, I use version 3 in my generated file and the working file use version 4. Maybe I should test version 4 also.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:26 PM   #64
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

With version 4 I got Multiformat book not supported on the Cybook. But version 4 worked on my T5. And on my T5 my generated file with the 600x800 image works.

A bit hard to debug when the error only is on the Cybook.

I attach the file that crashes my Cybook but works on my T5. It would be nice to know it the file works or not on other readers (you cannot upload .mobi files...)
Attached Files
File Type: prc Alice_In_Wonderland.prc (235.3 KB, 616 views)
Old 11-29-2007, 10:29 PM   #65
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
With version 4 I got Multiformat book not supported on the Cybook. But version 4 worked on my T5. And on my T5 my generated file with the 600x800 image works.

I attach the file that crashes my Cybook but works on my T5. It would be nice to know it the file works or not on other readers (you cannot upload .mobi files...)
The latest Mobipocket Desktop for Windows (some version 6.1) works fine with this. Also the iLiad will read it as well. I don't know about FBReader. I suspect so.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 10:40 PM   #66
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
I attach the file that crashes my Cybook but works on my T5. It would be nice to know it the file works or not on other readers
This works using Windows MobiPocket Reader and the Palm MobiPocket Reader on my Nokia 770. It also works on both devices using FBReader, although FBReader does not currently have an image scaling or navigating option so the cover image is too big for the 770's screen (the internal images are small enough to fit on the screen).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 10:45 PM   #67
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It also works on the Kindle. I have a serious USB cable management issue with all these Readers.
Old 11-30-2007, 01:01 AM   #68
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:

I tried it on a pc so far (I will also check a pocket pc). The images are ok although the inside ones are a bit small. The TOC should just after the cover page. The chapters should start at the top of the page.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 06:12 AM   #69
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
It also works on the Kindle. I have a serious USB cable management issue with all these Readers.
I also have a serious USB cable management issue. Bluetooth would be nice...

Does the Kindle have a "library image"? It is a bit irritating that it works better on the Kindle then on the Cybook :-)

In the working file from Mobipocket there is a small image in the last image record that probably is this library image. But on the Cybook the library image works even if I remove this last image record. So I suspect that it uses the first image as the library image and that the bug might be that the library image cannot be 600x800. So the question is how you point out which record to use as a library image. I looked for a pointer in the MOBI header but did not find anything obvious.
Old 11-30-2007, 06:41 AM   #70
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
I tried it on a pc so far (I will also check a pocket pc). The images are ok although the inside ones are a bit small. The TOC should just after the cover page. The chapters should start at the top of the page.
That the chapters does not start at the top of the page is a real bug (I am loosing the Mobipocket specific tags). There is a flag to put the TOC after the cover page also. According to the opf file you should only put it last. Ths inside images looked better on my T5 with regard to the size.
Old 12-01-2007, 09:41 PM   #71
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

There is a version 0.04 available at http://www.ida.liu.se/~tompe/mobiperl/

I fixed the bug with the missing pagebreak. I will continue to work on these tools when I have time and especially when I notice some problems when I use the conversion tools or when somebody else reports a problem.

Or when new information about the MOBI header becomes available...
Old 12-30-2007, 07:29 PM   #72
ppxnouse
Connoisseur
ppxnouse began at the beginning.

Device: Gen3
Hello tombe,

I currently try to convert some HTML files that contain lots of sample code.
The pages come from various chm files and most of them use the <PRE> tag for the sample code sections.
According to this page: http://www.mobipocket.com/dev/articl...TagRef_OEB.htm
The PRE tag is not supported by Mobipocket readerand so the result is pretty unreadable (all the formatting of the source code sections is removed and you end up with a single line of code).

Since you already do some HTML parsing/replacing, I would love to see html2mobi reformat the <pre> sections (Adding html line breaks, tabs and setting a different font).

BTW: What about adding a CHM decompiler like chmdump, so I can be more lazy ?! ;-)
ppxnouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 07:45 PM   #73
wallcraft
reader

See PRE tag problem, need support on the MobiPocket Forum, which recommends replacing each space by &nbsp; among other things. I don't think MobiPocket can specify a generic fixed font though. You would also use
Quote:
<p align="left">

Last edited by wallcraft; 12-30-2007 at 07:48 PM.
Old 12-30-2007, 08:29 PM   #74
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppxnouse View Post
Since you already do some HTML parsing/replacing, I would love to see html2mobi reformat the <pre> sections (Adding html line breaks, tabs and setting a different font).

BTW: What about adding a CHM decompiler like chmdump, so I can be more lazy ?! ;-)
The <pre> support should be possible to do as easily. Do you know where I can find some suitable example chm files?
Old 12-30-2007, 09:36 PM   #75
ppxnouse
Connoisseur
ppxnouse began at the beginning.

Device: Gen3
MSDN magazin can be downloaded for free as compiled html (pretty hardcore .chm files though):

http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/chm/

If you just look for code in <pre> tag examples, Oreilly open books do contain that. For example: http://www.masonbook.com/book/

Several Wrox and Addison Wesley titels came with a .chm version on the book CD. (Maybe you have one)

I would like to sent you a chm book, that even does have ACSCI tables in <pre> tags.
ppxnouse is offline   Reply With Quote