Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-02-2010, 04:48 PM   #1
srj321
srj321 began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs 600
Charging Issues and Screen Issues

Hi,

First post here regarding my prs 600. Was happily reading it the other day, put it down for a few minutes (in stand by mode) picked it up again and then nothing. The screen had gone blank. Tried to reset it and nothing happened apart from lines appeared on the screen. Tried plugging it back into the pc in case it was a charging issue and that had no joy - no red light and no pc connectivity with it. After reading posts on this forum I went out and bought a mains psp charger to charge it with in case it was a power issue. The red light came on for a few hours and then went out however the blank screen issue remains (with the occasional lines appearing).

Having spent ages now playing around with it I have managed to find out that it is kind of working when plugged into the charger - there is touch screen usage but the screen is completely corrupted. I can press things as I know where they are on the screen and they are being selected - however because of the corrupted screen I can't actually read anything. This all works when the charger is plugged in - soon as I unplug the charger the reader dies and I get nothing - however when the charger is plugged in there is no charging light showing - so it appears that whilst it is showing that it is fully charged up (by the red light not lighting up) it isn't actually holding the charge.

Anybody had similar issues? Any ideas on what to do. For your info I have tried a hard reset - that doesn't solve the issues. Screen is still corrupted and it all only works when plugged into the mains charger.

Look forward to your suggestions.

Steve
srj321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 12:58 AM   #2
MSJim
Bookworm
MSJim began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600, Nook STR
Sounds like a dead battery to me. The age of the battery/reader isn't necessarily an indicator. Li-Ion batteries just sometimes die. I've had it happen several times with cell phones.

Last edited by MSJim; 06-03-2010 at 01:01 AM.
MSJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2010, 11:52 PM   #3
swr2408018
Enthusiast
swr2408018 will become famous soon enoughswr2408018 will become famous soon enoughswr2408018 will become famous soon enoughswr2408018 will become famous soon enoughswr2408018 will become famous soon enoughswr2408018 will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-500
Similar issue here ...

I've been having odd battery behavior for a couple of weeks. Today my 600 went down completely, much like srj321's problem a couple posts up. I've got lines on the screen, looking a lot like "droppings" left behind by moving a rectangle around on. The lines are not completely fixed: they change color value from white to black and vice versa as the machine puts up various content, but in either case they obscure most of what should be visible. Like srj321, the touch screen appears to work correctly. I've done a hard reset, but it didn't clear this problem. Anyone else have any luck with this kind of issue?

Steve
swr2408018 is offline   Reply With Quote