Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-04-2009, 05:20 PM   #1
Polyglot27
Addict
Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen3, Archos 80 G9, Sony PRS-650, Sony T1, Asus MemoPad.
Smile New double page eBook reader on the cards?

I am sorry if this has already been dealt with but here are more pictures and details of the future Asus laptop cum eBook reader spotted at Cebit 2009. It would be a back-lit device but gosh, with two pages at the same time it certainly looks good. If only someone can come up with a reader using 2 e-ink pages.
Here is the link: http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2009/03...s_dual_screen/
Polyglot27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 04:16 AM   #2
dadioflex
Dyslexic Count
dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, Advent Vega, iPad, iPod Touch, Kindle
Edit.

Last edited by dadioflex; 12-16-2010 at 03:58 AM.
dadioflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2009, 04:24 AM   #3
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
After getting used to ebooks, I find the attraction of a two page ebook reader baffling. You only actually read one page at a time.

I guess it is a matter of getting beyond old habits that have no basis in the actual function of the medium.

But if each ebook page was wafer thin, printed on paper with a threaded spine gilded in gold flake.... oh yeah, that would be a pbook. Never mind.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 04:51 AM   #4
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Having two screens could be useful if they are independent. If you can have two texts you are comparing, two reference works, a novel and a map, etc. But if it's only for two consecutive pages of the same book, I don't see it that interesting.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 05:18 AM   #5
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Having two screens could be useful if they are independent. If you can have two texts you are comparing, two reference works, a novel and a map, etc. But if it's only for two consecutive pages of the same book, I don't see it that interesting.
It will make the device more versatile. And that, somehow, sells better.

Example:

Remember the days when you had a mobile phone and a MP3 player and a photo camera? Now, people seem to want them all in one device. And, please, add the PDA to it as well. Oh, while you're at it, add an e-reader too!

Personally, I don't like that development (oh shoot, I drowned my mobile phone, and now I can't listen to my MP3 player anymore, and I really would have loved to take that picture, I've no idea what is in my calendar and I can't finish that book anymore!). I like having several devices for different functions (so, after I drowned my phone, I still had my PDA on which I keep my calendar and read my books, and my photo camera to take pictures with).
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2009, 05:29 AM   #6
yagiz
http://is.gd/4flJX
yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPhone 3G
The only advantage that I see is for the technical books... maybe... To be able to see more than one page may be handy if there are diagrams, code snippets, etc.

However, as an ebook reader in general, I don't think that it's interesting...
yagiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 06:03 AM   #7
Wario
Connoisseur
Wario began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by yagiz View Post
The only advantage that I see is for the technical books... maybe... To be able to see more than one page may be handy if there are diagrams, code snippets, etc.

I agree with you. The question would be is there a demand for this product. The only good thing I saw was it colour screen, but for reading novels is it worth the extra cost. I don't think so.
Wario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 07:20 AM   #8
Mrraow
Bookworm
Mrraow doesn't litterMrraow doesn't litter

Device: Opus
Fold the two pages outwards when you're not reading to show the front and back covers of your book?

Have the GUI on the left page, possibly with dictionary lookup box and contextual menus, and the text on the right page.

Fold in to protect your delicate screens

Show A4 PDFs split across both screens to make them readable.

You and your partner could eaven read different books at the same time on the same device.

Lots of fun to be had here!
Mrraow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 10:47 AM   #9
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post

Example:

Remember the days when you had a mobile phone and a MP3 player and a photo camera? Now, people seem to want them all in one device. And, please, add the PDA to it as well. Oh, while you're at it, add an e-reader too!

Personally, I don't like that development (oh shoot, I drowned my mobile phone, and now I can't listen to my MP3 player anymore, and I really would have loved to take that picture, I've no idea what is in my calendar and I can't finish that book anymore!). I like having several devices for different functions (so, after I drowned my phone, I still had my PDA on which I keep my calendar and read my books, and my photo camera to take pictures with).
I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yagiz View Post

I see this, especially if in colour, in a 'magazine' application rather than an ebook.....(how many readers do not use a version of black on white?) though there could be some areas of life where it could be useful to have something that looks almost an A3 size - education and presenting are a couple that spring to mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wario View Post
I agree with you. The question would be is there a demand for this product. The only good thing I saw was it colour screen, but for reading novels is it worth the extra cost. I don't think so.
Yep, pretty much my thought ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 10:59 PM   #10
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
I personally think the dual screens will have an advantage... That reader may very well be able to serve as a reader and, to some extent, a netbook type device. Fold the thing up ans turn it as you would use a laptop and bring up the keyboard on the bottom screen to type away. May not be as convenient as the current readers but hey...

Then again you can get a netbook for about $400 right now and you can simply turn the netbook sideways and read on the screen...
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 02:33 AM   #11
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
school books

I could see it as useful for text books, and books with a lot of pictures. Not so useful for a simple fiction novel.

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 03:32 PM   #12
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
My personal thought on this is that when the screen is fairly large, like in this case, the second screen provides little utility to ebook reading. That being said, on smaller device, with screens in the 5" and smaller range, it might make the reading experience a bit more pleasant. An imagine an iPod sized device with twice the screen real estate?

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 03:37 PM   #13
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post

Example:

I have to say, that personally, I like converged devices when the convergence doesn't sacrifice the performance of any of the functions. Therefore, bringing PDAs and phones together was brilliant and has allowed me to connect to systems in all sorts of places where I don't have access to a traditional computer. A function like that couldn't be done by either a PDA or a phone alone. Ebook reading and PDAs go together naturally.. heck in that sense the convergence is really where ebooks got their start.

As for cameras.. never been a big fan of camera phones... They are not nearly as good as a dedicated camera.. but they are convenient every once in a while.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote