Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-14-2008, 11:33 AM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Fictionwise multiformat titles I have bought

I really want to have a resource thread for this. I want to buy fewer big-house 'secure' e-books and more indie/drm-free ones, but there is such a dearth of info out there about so many of them. I hope I can share the ones I have bought and liked, and others can do the same, and maybe we can all build up our Fictionwise wish lists with some non-evil indie choices. Please list novels only, if you can...

So, I'll start!

Bought, read and didn't like:
- Rara Ibis by T.K. Sheils (funky formatting, too hard to slog through)
- Department of Spirit Research by James Patrick Cobb (Worst! Book! Ever!)

Bought, read and liked:
- The Five Children Omnibus by Edith Nesbit (present from my sister)
- Third World Products, Book 1 by Ed Howdershelt
- Murder Canyon by Joan Blacher (actually my sister's, read during week-long visit)
- A Really Bad Hair Day by Rob Preece
- Butterfly House by T.K. Sheils
- Modem Operandi by T.K. Sheils (same as Murder Canyon, read at sister's during holiday there)

Bought, am enjoying so far but have not yet finished:
- The Case of the Virtuous Vampire by Monette Michaels
- Rx for Murder by Renee Horowitz (really good, may buy other 2 during sale)

Bought, but haven't read yet:
- A Strange Valley by Darrell Bain
- Just Add Trouble by Jinx Schwartz
- Tornado Bait by Amy Eastlake
- Blind Faith by Colin Harvey
- Quilt as Desired, a Harriet Truman Mystery by Arlene Sachitano
- Murder in a Nice Neighbourhood by Lora Roberts
- Tree Huggers by Judy Nichols
- Tea and Witchery by Marie Dees
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 11:45 AM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
The Case of the Virtuous Vampire by Monette Michaels
I can't find this one. Do you have a link?

Based on Monette's web page, this may be between publishers. I hope it comes out as an ebook again.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2008, 11:50 AM   #3
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Oh, I checked it and it says no longer for sale. I can still download it from my bookshelf though. Well, I guess I'd better make a backup copy!
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 06:08 PM   #4
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
I'll add to your thread, though I'm not sure any of these are "indie". I think they were all originally "big house" publications, but they are multi-format books, which is all that I've bought at Fictionwise.

Oracle Trilogy by Mike Resnick:
- Soothsayer, Oracle, Prophet
- SF/Fantasy series about a woman who sees & influences the future
- Bought the first book and then went back to buy the rest of the trilogy

Jean Lorrah Collected by Jean Lorrah
- A collection of short stories; I prefer novels, but love this author

Nessie and the Viking Gold by Lois June Wickstrom & Jean Lorrah
Nessie and the Celtic Maze by Lois June Wickstrom & Jean Lorrah
- Two children's books by a favorite author; haven't read yet

Door through Space by Marion Zimmer Bradley & Elisabeth Waters
- A re-read of a CLASSIC SF novel; enjoyed it very much

Ashes to Ashes by Lillian Stewart Carl
- A mystery novel; haven't read yet

----------------------------------------------
Update:

Ah heck! I wish I hadn't gone over to Fictionwise to list the books I'd already bought. I got all excited about the 40%-off sale and bought 3 more books:
* Magnificat by Chelsea Quinn Yarbro
* Magic's Song: Tales of the Harper Mage by Laura J. Underwood
* Beneath a Rising Moon by Keri Arthur

Last edited by Elsi; 12-14-2008 at 06:32 PM.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote