Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 10-15-2008, 09:50 PM   #1
tcv
Addict
tcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enough

DRM-free Mobi to eReader?

Hi,

I am a little lost in the alphabet soup of formats and applications. I have a DRM-free PRC file in Mobipocket. I'd like to see if I can convert that to eReader so I can put it on my iPod Touch.

Is this possible?

Cheers,

m

tcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 09:53 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcv View Post
I am a little lost in the alphabet soup of formats and applications. I have a DRM-free PRC file in Mobipocket. I'd like to see if I can convert that to eReader so I can put it on my iPod Touch.
You can download Stanza from Lexcycle for your touch from the iPod AppStore (free) and for your PC and you will be able to d/l that file to your Touch while it is open in Stanza on your PC. Stanza will do whatever conversion is needed. I am not sure what native format is actually reads on the iPod though.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2008, 10:59 PM   #3
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Stanza converts everything to ePUB on the device so it will not work to translate Mobi to eReader. I believe Book Designer can do that.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 11:20 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Stanza converts everything to ePUB on the device so it will not work to translate Mobi to eReader. I believe Book Designer can do that.

Dale
I knew that. But, Stanza on both devices will still get the book on the iPod. Unless they insist on eReader... then as you say, you need to use other options.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 11:59 PM   #5
tcv
Addict
tcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enough

Well, I kinda like eReader on the iPhone more than Stanza. I could try it though. What can Book Designer do?

I guess I am mistaken that eReader is ePub. Is it not?
tcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2008, 10:05 AM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
I have a DRM-free PRC file in Mobipocket. I'd like to see if I can convert that to eReader so I can put it on my iPod Touch.
Old PRC files identified themselves as PalmDOC ebooks, and eReader can read PalmDOC. Open the .prc file with an editor, if you see BOOKMOBI then you are out of luck but if you see TEXtREAd then this is nominally a PalmDOC ebook. I don't know how well it will work, but a PalmDOC .prc may be readable with eReader just by renaming it .pdb.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 11:32 AM   #7
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Well, I kinda like eReader on the iPhone more than Stanza. I could try it though. What can Book Designer do?

I guess I am mistaken that eReader is ePub. Is it not?
eReader is not ePUB. Read about them in the MobileRead wiki.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 12:44 PM   #8
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:

Dale
Stanza, on the desktop, does have an export feature that will allow you to export a book to ereader format. Unfortunately, at least in the version I have; it leaves behind some weird artifacts.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 05:47 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

Dale
Not all PRC/Mobi can be opened with BD. But, you can convert PRC/Mobi to HTML using mobi2oeb and then use one of the tools available to convert to eReader from there. No idea how easy it is.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote