Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-07-2012, 09:24 AM   #1
CatherineStewart
Mom, Wife, Reader!
CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura One
Did you upgrade from KT to Glo?

My KT is about a year old. No issues ever works like a dream. But my heart flutters at the thought of owning a Glo (I already have a buyer for my KT). Did you upgrade and were glad you did? I don't do a lot of reading requiring a light but maybe I just don't realize how awesome the light would be? I read alot in bed with a bedside lamp. Just trying to seen if its really worth upgrading.
CatherineStewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:47 AM   #2
paulhar
paulhar has a spectacular aura aboutpaulhar has a spectacular aura aboutpaulhar has a spectacular aura aboutpaulhar has a spectacular aura aboutpaulhar has a spectacular aura aboutpaulhar has a spectacular aura aboutpaulhar has a spectacular aura aboutpaulhar has a spectacular aura aboutpaulhar has a spectacular aura aboutpaulhar has a spectacular aura aboutpaulhar has a spectacular aura about

Device: none
Yes I did. The extra speed makes the Glo more responsive, and this morning I managed to read several pages next to my sleeping wife without waking her, something that would have been impossible if I had turned on the light.
paulhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2012, 10:20 AM   #3
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
I would love to buy a Glo, but I just can't justify shelling out $130+tax when my Touch works so well (and will probably work even better when Kobo decides to give me 2.1.4.)
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:04 PM   #4
vice-versa
whippet addict
vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura 6", Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Sage
I could'nt resist and bought one though my KT is just 11 months old and works well
vice-versa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:28 PM   #5
kobokobe
I am what I am
kobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfolded

Location: An enormous, polar bear infested igloo that we call north of the 49.
Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch
Same. Felt kinda guilty buying another one for the same price so soon, but couldn't resist the temptation. Still, I'm happy with the purchase. I also spilled beer on my KT some time ago, so there was a small black ink stain on the screen that sometimes got in the way of the text, so..
kobokobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2012, 12:36 PM   #6
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
My Touch was fine. I updated to be able to read at night with the light off. Previously, I would read at night on my tablet. This was fine with kepubs as they were kept in sync with the Touch. It was less fine with ePUBS because I had to work to get the daytime device on the same page I left off with on the tablet. I had had my Touch since the day it was released so I felt like I had gotten my money's worth from it. It's always good to have a backup, and the Touch makes a better one than the WiFi I had been using .
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:42 PM   #7
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
I updated as well, mostly for the light. The bonus though was faster processing of books and the chess game as an extra. One disapointment was the loss of the chrome power button to black(minor). Also extra plus was the soft sleep option with a closed cover or adapted cover using a magnet. As well as the wireless N connecton to my router.

regards

JAck
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:03 PM   #8
tea2
Zealot
tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd ed, Kindle 2, iPad Mini 4, Aura One.
Yes. My usb port on my other kobo is starting to be a bit touchy (no pun intended) after a year, so I got one. I'm still undecided as to whether my eyes like the light. It's nice as an extra when it's darker in the evenings,but my eyes were bothering me a bit last night (that feeling of grittiness/tiredness I get with computer lcds in the dark sometimes). It might be a question of getting used to it, but it's supposed to be easier on the eyes than lcd.

It's also faster. No more HUGE delays getting to the homepage or in and out of shelves. When I knew I was going to have to press the home button on my Touch, I would sometimes make the font smaller and load a new page so that I'd have something to read while waiting. Some of the controls are different (no physical home button, no search on the homepage). Also no way to instantly add books to a shortlist that I can see (I like to do that with library books). As with the Touch, I've had restarts changing the font or margins, though.

Some of my .azw files that were converted over with Calibre and that were fine on my Touch have too-wide margins and have lost their double spacing, so I'm gonna have to fiddle again with those. Some converted books also come up blank. They have page numbers, but are totally blank otherwise.

So I'm undecided. I think it will (mostly) be good.

One other thing: it's a bit smaller than the Touch, so some of the original cases will not fit it. They didn't have any new ones in my local Chapters, so I will have to hang on for that.

Last edited by tea2; 10-07-2012 at 01:32 PM.
tea2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:20 PM   #9
AndyBurns
AndyBurns began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo & Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatherineStewart View Post
Did you upgrade and were glad you did?
TL;DR yes and yes.

I'd had a couple of sneak peeks at demo models during the week, it wasn't an immediate decision to upgrade, but I crumbled and bought one today, mainly for the frontlight, I usually read in bed with a table-lamp but I spend a lot of time adjusting to keep comfortable and reasonable lighting.

Some people have said the e-ink background is whiter even with the light off, I don't think it is, the anti-glare texture looks the same, though the KT feels smoother than the KG which has a bit more "texture" to it. The increased resolution is nice especially after tuning the font sizes down a bit, I don't think the blacks are quite as black (could just be finer detail from the smaller pixels) and the black does wash-out a little with the light on.

When reading a book, I'm quite happy with 6 pages per full refresh on the KG and virtually no ghosting, where on the KT I had reduced it to 3 pages. However when navigating on the home/library/settings screens the ghosting is a lot more apparent on the KG than the KT, especially in the black bar at the bottom (the very first setting to get turned off!) and other areas where there's white on black. I can see they probably used the black bar to hide the shadowing near the bottom of the screen, but I don't find the shadowing too obtrusive, nor the bright highlight near the top, I don't have any "bright pixels".

As to the processor extra speed with KT and KG side-by-side there's not that much in it for page turns, but any increase is handy, power-on is about 5s faster, wake-up is about the same. Still takes a long time processing content after inserting an SDHC card.

Already I prefer the lack of button on the front, the power button (plastic) feels smoother than the KT which was a little graunchy being metal on plastic.

There'll soon be some black tape over the logo on the front which feels too big and higher contrast compared to the KT. In the same way I don't like too much advertised content on-screen (the split Reading/Discovery option is good, don't mind the wishlist bar too much) I want a subtle device that isn't a walking advert for Kobo either
AndyBurns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:29 PM   #10
AndyBurns

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
I had had my Touch since the day it was released so I felt like I had gotten my money's worth from it. It's always good to have a backup
I bought my KT the day they came to the UK, it does feel rather too soon to be replacing it, but what the hell? Not sure whether to sell it, give it away, or keep it as a spare (maybe in with my laptop).
Old 10-07-2012, 01:33 PM   #11
Iskariot
Zealot
Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950 Daily Edition, Kobo Aura HD
I most probably will buy a Glo this month.
Where I live there's no real competition for the Glo. I exclude Kindle on principle and the Nook Glowlight is much more expensive and lacks certain features.
I might have waited if Sony had announced a more up to date reader, but they have forsaken me.

I am still in doubt. I hope the Glo will not disappoint. I am still worried about the dictionaries. The fact that the Kobo representative on this forum ignored all questions about the dictionaries did not at all feel reassuring.

I know Pocketbook is working on a glowlight version too. I saw a prototype. I know they have more open dictionary options, so I might wait for their model.
Iskariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:17 PM   #12
XrXca
Avid Reader
XrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura about

Device: Auro H2O, Kobo Glo x 2, Asus Tablet
Yep, Touch is still working just fine, but now that we've had a chance to use the Glo, we're thinking of picking up another Glo, and leaving the Touch as a reserve.
XrXca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:23 PM   #13
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Glo
So the Glo is faster. Well, that's enough of an excuse for me. I'm an impatient SOB at the best of times.

I have the Vox for reading at night or uncertain lighting conditions but hey...

I'll see if the library wants my WiFi and Touch. I doubt it as they already have two of each but ...
TonyToews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:01 PM   #14
BWinmill
Nameless Being

No Glo for me. My Touch works wonderfully. There is no need to create landfill fodder for a glow in the dark screen or a few extra CPU cycles per second.
Old 10-07-2012, 06:08 PM   #15
AndyBurns

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyBurns View Post
I don't have any "bright pixels"
Actually, I've just realised that I do have one bright spot, but I think pixel is the wrong term, as I don't think it's related to the e-ink pixels at all.

It's like a pinprick in the frontlighting layer, and in my case at least it's only visible from one particular angle, both horizontally and vertically, lucky for me it's only when staring "down" onto the reader with it tilted to the left, the bright dot doesn't correspond to any blemish I can see within the screen with the frontlight turned off, and I only noticed it when viewing in darkness.

I guess other angles could be possible and it would be annoying if it happened to be visible from directly in front, or if there were several of them so you saw one from various angles, mine isn't worth complaining about.