Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-25-2012, 03:28 AM   #1
ali.sattari
ali.sattari began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch WiFi
Lightbulb Customizing/Adding touch gestures

Hi,

I was wondering if there is any way to customize or add gestures to kindle touch using xorg.conf.

I remember adding some cool two and three finger gestures to my old dell laptop synaptic ages ago using xorg.conf (eg. http://wiki.debian.org/SynapticsTouchpad)

For example it would be much better (IMHO) to have two finger vertical swipe for chapter navigation instead of one finger vertical swipe (which is easy to accidentally trigger).

Or having circling gestures (clockwise or counter-clockwise) for Portrait and Landscape switching.

And I am not that familiar with embeded linux, Or I would have tried it myself.

Have good reading
ali.sattari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 04:00 PM   #2
lukeroge
Enthusiast
lukeroge began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
I agree with the fact that the one finger swipe is far too easy to do, and being able to rotate in the book would be very handy. Good luck!

A far as I know, the gestures are part of the java framework, not the lower level parts, which might make it a bit harder to achieve.
lukeroge is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2012, 04:33 PM   #3
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeroge View Post
A far as I know, the gestures are part of the java framework, not the lower level parts, which might make it a bit harder to achieve.
I have low-level scripts that read gestures by tailing the log files. There is a small lag, but still quite usable.

I have only published a TINY portion of my experimental code.

EDIT: You can read gestures like this:

tail -f /var/log/Xorg.0.log

The gestures are numeric "button codes". I posted what they all meant a long time ago. I will search the forum for them...

UPDATE: Found it! You just need to use the right set of search keywords. I started the "Kindle Touch Gesture Engine" thread back in January. I guess it was too far ahead of its time. Perhaps NOW is the time. People can add it to the script code base I have published here.

Here is sample gesture log output (with interpretation) for all the gestures I could get it to report:

The log file is actually quite responsive, and useful for reading gestures with scripts.

The kindle touch does not support 3-finger gestures (other than two fingers on screen while pressing the Home button).

Last edited by geekmaster; 04-25-2012 at 04:50 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gesture, touch, xorg