Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-16-2010, 10:40 AM   #1
trogdor
trogdor began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Has anyone NOT had problems with their Kobo?

I shouldn't have come to this forum. Now I'm worried my Kobo will cause me all kinds of grief I've had no problems with it so far, but anything can happen.

So, how many people here simply haven't had any problems with their Kobos (meaning, how many people's Kobos did NOT turn into a brick).
trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 10:49 AM   #2
RussMeyer
RussMeyer began at the beginning.

So far so good for me. I preordered mine so I've had it from day one. I am not a heavy reader(half to one hour a day) and exept for the font issues I have no complaints. I did the upgrade with no problems, no brick.
RussMeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2010, 10:56 AM   #3
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Had mine just under a week and read half a book so far so I have not upgraded as yet. Still thinking about waiting for the next update rather than this one.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 10:57 AM   #4
HamsterRage
Evangelist
HamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notes

I wasn't getting the 8K page turns, and the font resizing was an issue for me.

But the V1.4 of the firmware has me pretty happy on battery charge and font resizing.

So I'd say mine works fine.
HamsterRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 11:47 AM   #5
Ghoda
Enthusiast
Ghoda is on a distinguished road

Device: Kobo, Kobo for iPhone, Aluratek Libre
I have not had any problems with my Kobo. Sure the free books were there but now I can hide them with the 1.4 firmware.

Functionally this reader is awesome.
Ghoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2010, 12:01 PM   #6
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
The vast majority of Kobo owners are quite pleased with their units. Your question is unfair and quite biased - I mean, what are you expecting to hear from a Kobo assistance group? The vast majority of Kobo owners are NOT here.

A more intelligent thread would be one where you tell us YOUR eReader requirements, and we'll try to steer you to a particular model. THAT would be useful - this thread is meaningless.

Just my opinion, of course ... I could be wrong.

Last edited by clintbradford; 07-16-2010 at 12:17 PM.
clintbradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 12:16 PM   #7
trogdor

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintbradford View Post
The vast majority of Kobo owners are quite pleased with their units. Your question is unfair and quite biases - I mean, what are you expecting to hear from a Kobo assistance group? The vast majority of Kobo owners are NOT here.

A more intelligent thread would be one where you tell us YOUR eReader requirements, and we'll try to steer you to a particular model. THAT would be useful - this thread is meaningless.

Just my opinion, of course ... I could be wrong.
I understand that. But, I'd say that the majority of the threads I've read on kobo are complaints rather than praise. I also understand that the people who have problems are more likely to post and complain. That's fair, but to me, the bad to good ratio of comments seems to be atypical. If I look at another forum which discusses Kindle, there are indeed complaints, but there appears to be fewer complaints of the devices bricking, crashing etc... and more discussion on what you can actually do on the Kindle.

It could be that the Kindle's just been around longer, and has had more time to turn into a mature-ish product.

Maybe this particular Kobo forum just happens to be skewed. I don't know.

As for my ereader requirements, I require an ereader that I can consider reliable in the long run. So, I'm calling out to those who haven't had major problems so, this thread isn't meaningless to me.
Old 07-16-2010, 12:25 PM   #8
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
>> ... the majority of the threads I've read on kobo are complaints ...

Of course they are. That is called "human nature."

You do not hear of the millions of Toyota automobile owners who are pleased with their investments. You hear about the grandmother who stomped on the accelerator by mistake and took out Fluffy - her dog - in the back of the garage.

If one is pleased with their eReader investment, they don't go to "product help groups." They buy and read books.

"Reliable in the long run" is the only requirement you mention. You might not "like" the Kobo. It is suggested that Kobo owners upgrade darned near immediately to a newer firmware release. This might not be something you want to get involved with.

If so, you might enjoy a Kindle2 more. Only US$40 more than a Kobo (translated into eBook terms = about the price of three or four books' difference) - and you get wireless connectivity.

Can you help us along with any more "requirements" you feel you have? Is connectivity attractive to you?

Clint Bradford
clintbradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 12:39 PM   #9
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trogdor View Post
I understand that. But, I'd say that the majority of the threads I've read on kobo are complaints rather than praise. I also understand that the people who have problems are more likely to post and complain. That's fair, but to me, the bad to good ratio of comments seems to be atypical. If I look at another forum which discusses Kindle, there are indeed complaints, but there appears to be fewer complaints of the devices bricking, crashing etc... and more discussion on what you can actually do on the Kindle.

As for my ereader requirements, I require an ereader that I can consider reliable in the long run. So, I'm calling out to those who haven't had major problems so, this thread isn't meaningless to me.
When happy, people keep silent. When having a problem, people
post on the forum.
For the other part of the quote, as long as it is a physical part of
the matter with software on it, strange things will happen.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 12:57 PM   #10
3d0g
I make fjords.
3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: kobo 1 (retired), kobo 2, iPad, G2, Galaxy Tab 7+
I've had my kobo since the 1st day of release in U.S. Not a single problem with it. Upgrade to 1.4 was a breeze.
3d0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 02:04 PM   #11
Zyzomys
Hooked on Phonics
Zyzomys began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Wow, a negative option poll - If I do not respond I must be having problems with my Kobo. Sorry but I do not agree with your methods.
Zyzomys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 02:10 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by trogdor View Post
I shouldn't have come to this forum. Now I'm worried my Kobo will cause me all kinds of grief I've had no problems with it so far, but anything can happen.

So, how many people here simply haven't had any problems with their Kobos (meaning, how many people's Kobos did NOT turn into a brick).
What you want to know is how are Kobo Readers AFTER the firmware update. It doesn't count before the firmware update as the firmware update does fix problems the reader was having.

So this thread is a total load of BS unless you ask about problems AFTER.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 02:15 PM   #13
pleochroic
pleochroic began at the beginning.

Device: kobo, OLPC XO
if you had asked me after the first 2 weeks, i would have told you that i had no problem with my kobo. i was darn happy with it, except for some minor stuff which i could work around.

then the battery problems started.

you can hardly expect to hear anything from people regarding long-term reliability of the kobo. it's not all that old yet! i am quite certain most people have no problems. even a lot of the people who're reporting issues here don't have BRICKs -- mine is most definitely not one, and the firmware upgrade went very well for me. it's perfectly usable -- just that the battery doesn't seem to live up to expectations.

the kindle had so many issues when it came out, *gah*. this seems nothing particularly excessive in comparison.

how long have you had yours?
pleochroic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 07:22 PM   #14
trogdor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pleochroic View Post
how long have you had yours?
I've only had mine a couple of weeks now. So I haven't had much time to play with it yet (aside from reading from it).

So, I just want to see some comments from people who've had a mostly good experience so far.

Thank you to those who have replied.
Old 07-16-2010, 07:30 PM   #15
trogdor

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintbradford View Post
If one is pleased with their eReader investment, they don't go to "product help groups." They buy and read books.
Yes, but there are those who love a certain product and just enjoy talking to others about it aren't there?

I already own a Kobo, and I like it. The reason I originally jumped at buying it is its simplicity. I don't care about wireless, or keyboards, etc.. I just want practical and functional - which the Kobo seems to be.

I'm just looking for a bit of reassurance that I didn't make a mistake in buying it if there are tons of problems with it. Of course this forum doesn't tell the whole story for the entire user-base -- but it does give some insight.