Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 10-18-2012, 05:56 AM   #1
Cheddartrek
Cheddartrek began at the beginning.

Device: Nook SimpleTouch w/ GlowLight
Highlights & Notes

I'm sure this has been discussed a million times, but I don't see any recent threads on it so here goes...

Is there a way yet to get your Highlights & Notes off of the Nook SimpleTouch with Glowlight?

I realize that part of the issue is apparently that you can only store so much of a book elsewhere than the book, or something, but what I'm working with is stuff that I wrote myself. I know that matters not to B&N but it's an important point for me.

I had always assumed that if I added Highlights or Notes to things that I'd be able to get them off later or at least see them in a much more readable format than they appear.

Basically I will write some stuff, either professionally or for fun, convert it into an epub, and proofread it later on my Nook. I will make notes and add highlights later as I go through it, and I'd like easier access to those on my computer for when I'm making the edits.

I didn't realize that I couldn't get them off the stupid Nook until I'd added notes/highlights for a great deal of my work.

So is there a way to do this? I haven't rooted my Nook but I'd be willing to try -- does it change the basic functionality much? Just add more functionality? Completely change the OS?
Cheddartrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 07:25 AM   #2
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
Have you tried moving one of your ebooks that contain notes over to your PC and looking at the ebook in Nook for PC (a free program you can download from B&N)? If you did that, and the notes were still there (on the PC), there might be something you could do on the PC to capture those notes, because of the PC platform is MUCH more flexible. I don't mean that Nook for PC is more flexible, but the platform itself is. For example, the notes may reside in another file that you could access, or if they are inside the epub, you could probably pull them out using Sigil.

Edit: if these books are ones you purchased, you'd have trouble with the Digital Rights Management (DRM), so in order to really manipulate the files, you might have to remove the DRM too. This is a whole other issue. But for starters, try seeing if the notes are still there after moving the book to the PC.

Last edited by RAH; 10-20-2012 at 07:28 AM.
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2012, 03:47 AM   #3
Cheddartrek

Aah, I haven't tried that. I didn't know that there was such a thing as Nook for PC. Thanks!

They aren't books that I purchased -- they're files I wrote myself on my computer, put on my Nook, then marked spots I needed to change with Highlights and notes.

Thanks again -- that Nook for PC thing sounds like it might work. I'd rather be able to just export them as a text file or something but at least that could get the information onto my computer. I can go from there... who knows, like you said I might be able to find a way to locate the information once I have it on a full fledged machine.
Old 10-23-2012, 03:25 PM   #4
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Actually, now that I have thought about it some, you might not even need to bother with Nook for PC. I mean, assuming that the notes and highlights exist SOMEWHERE in the epub file, you can probably get to them using either Sigil or Calibre (especially Sigil). But it wouldn't hurt to get Nook for PC anyway, of course. Sometimes it comes in handy.

I am actually interested in what you find out when you try to get your notes and highlights. I might want to do the very thing you did, and I'd like to know if the results are available for capture myself. So please report back anything you find out.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:21 AM   #5
RAH
Guru

I ran my own test. I added several notes and highlights to a non-DRM ebook on my Touch and copied it over to my PC via USB. I then opened it in Sigil. Alas, I do not see the notes in Sigil. I also opened the ebook in Nook for PC and the notes and highlights are NOT there. I also noticed that the date on the epub file had not changed since the first time I got it from Gutenberg many months ago.

So, I have to conclude that notes and highlights are NOT stored inside the epub file. I looked around in the Touch's directories while it was tethered to the PC and couldn't find any added files that might contain the notes for a particular book or any book.

It seems that notes and highlights must be stored somewhere in the Touch's memory, which of course is very bad news. I suppose you could search this forum for more info about this topic. You could also look in the Calibre and Sigil forums in Mobilread. Too bad about this. Hopefully I'm wrong...
Advert
Old 10-26-2012, 08:44 PM   #6
Cheddartrek

Bah -- I had little luck myself.
Old 10-28-2012, 12:30 PM   #7
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Device: Nook HD, Nook for Windows 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAH View Post
So, I have to conclude that notes and highlights are NOT stored inside the epub file. I looked around in the Touch's directories while it was tethered to the PC and couldn't find any added files that might contain the notes for a particular book or any book.
Correct they are stored in a database in a hidden partition.
Jim Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:36 AM   #8
RAH
Guru

Thanks for the confirmation, Jim (even though it is more lumpy gravy ).
Old 12-29-2012, 11:55 PM   #9
bounce
Zealot
bounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavensbounce is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Ipad, Kindle 7
Has anyone come up with a workaround or is it still not possible to export your highlights and notes?
bounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:10 PM   #10
fcm52
Steppenwolf
fcm52 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kindle Touch, Kindle 4 & Kindle Keyboard
I have the same problem here. Unfortunately there's no way to transfer the highlights and notes because they are kept in an unaccessible hidden partition. A lot of users have been asking B&N to change the NT firmware, but unfortunately they don't listen to our requests. Lucky me who also have a Kindle with all these resources and a superb support service from Amazon who listen to their customers.
fcm52 is offline   Reply With Quote