Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-17-2011, 01:00 AM   #16
shibamistress
Groupie
shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KSO (3G), Nook Color, android apps
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas0039 View Post
The question is do you need 3G? If so, then $139 is a steal. If not, wait and see. It is only a few months.
It is a good price, and if you need 3G go with it! I'm happy with my KSO 3G, but I would have been happy with paying less!

Also, I had so many problems with wireless at home that I went with the 3G. I had the wifi only variety then sent it back and got the 3G
shibamistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 07:52 AM   #17
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Is the web browsing (for non Amazon sites) exactly the same on the wifi and the 3G SO models? I want to get the 3G SO for emergency web access (no internet phone). I'm thinking this would be awesome for that. $139 is a heck of a lot cheaper than a 2 year contract for a phone data plan. I have the wifi so I understand all about the limitations of the browsing capabilities.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 09:07 AM   #18
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Is the web browsing (for non Amazon sites) exactly the same on the wifi and the 3G SO models? I want to get the 3G SO for emergency web access (no internet phone). I'm thinking this would be awesome for that. $139 is a heck of a lot cheaper than a 2 year contract for a phone data plan. I have the wifi so I understand all about the limitations of the browsing capabilities.
Yes; except that WiFi is generally faster than 3G.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 09:41 AM   #19
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Great. I'm gonna order a white one!
Old 07-20-2011, 09:50 AM   #20
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Great. I'm gonna order a white one!
All four Kindle 3 models are the same; except that the 3G models also offer free 3G coverage and SO models offer ads/offers in place of dead author screensavers.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:10 AM   #21
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

That sounds good to me. I have seen questions raised on other forums where people thought the 3G was different on the SO models. So I wanted to make sure before I bought one. I don't know how many of the special offers I would use, but it will be nice to have the option. And definitely nice to have free 3G for emergency internet access!
Old 07-20-2011, 10:27 AM   #22
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
I don't know how many of the special offers I would use, but it will be nice to have the option.
Be sure to check out the Special Offers thread. It's updated with the latest offers and the OP contains every offer presented so far.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:55 PM   #23
ovaldisk
Connoisseur
ovaldisk is no e-book dilettante.ovaldisk is no e-book dilettante.ovaldisk is no e-book dilettante.ovaldisk is no e-book dilettante.ovaldisk is no e-book dilettante.ovaldisk is no e-book dilettante.ovaldisk is no e-book dilettante.ovaldisk is no e-book dilettante.ovaldisk is no e-book dilettante.ovaldisk is no e-book dilettante.ovaldisk is no e-book dilettante.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
The question is do you need 3G? If so, then $139 is a steal. If not, wait and see. It is only a few months.
wait... what's coming in "only a few months" ???
ovaldisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 09:14 PM   #24
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovaldisk View Post
wait... what's coming in "only a few months" ???
Although Amazon hasn't made an "official" announcement yet, word is that Amazon will be releasing two new Kindles and a tablet later this year, possibly around October.

Here's a link to one MobileRead thread that discusses that: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=142722.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 09:59 PM   #25
chas0039
Sceptic
chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: rooted Nooks, retired. JetBook Lite, Kindle 3, 4, Kobo Nia, Libra H2O.
What he said.
chas0039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 03:51 AM   #26
hp7marleyfan
hp7marleyfan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G
I'd say that's a pretty good deal, considering that Amazon's not very well known for 'superb' customer service.
hp7marleyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 05:22 AM   #27
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by hp7marleyfan View Post
I'd say that's a pretty good deal, considering that Amazon's not very well known for 'superb' customer service.
On the contrary, Amazon is known for its superb customer service. Many of us on this forum have direct experience of that.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 08:39 AM   #28
chas0039
Sceptic
chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: rooted Nooks, retired. JetBook Lite, Kindle 3, 4, Kobo Nia, Libra H2O.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
On the contrary, Amazon is known for its superb customer service. Many of us on this forum have direct experience of that.
I still remember my first order with them in 1995. My primary thought was, "Is it safe to give these guys my credit card number"?

In all those years I have never seen them do anything other than bend over backward to get a problem fixed. Their only problem ever has been really crappy packing for their shipments, but when that caused damage, they fixed it.
They also stood behind any problems with their non-Amazon sellers.

I can't fault them for anything in customer service.
chas0039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 11:01 AM   #29
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Wink ditto...

Quote:
....I can't fault them for anything in customer service.
agreed
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 11:31 AM   #30
ovaldisk
Connoisseur
ovaldisk is no e-book dilettante.ovaldisk is no e-book dilettante.ovaldisk is no e-book dilettante.ovaldisk is no e-book dilettante.ovaldisk is no e-book dilettante.ovaldisk is no e-book dilettante.ovaldisk is no e-book dilettante.ovaldisk is no e-book dilettante.ovaldisk is no e-book dilettante.ovaldisk is no e-book dilettante.ovaldisk is no e-book dilettante.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
I still remember my first order with them in 1995. My primary thought was, "Is it safe to give these guys my credit card number"?

In all those years I have never seen them do anything other than bend over backward to get a problem fixed. Their only problem ever has been really crappy packing for their shipments, but when that caused damage, they fixed it.
They also stood behind any problems with their non-Amazon sellers.

I can't fault them for anything in customer service.
I second(or third) that!

For online merchants, only Costco and Walmart are better than Amazon.

I bought a $2199 laptop from Costco and it died after 2.5 months. Sony told me that it couldn't be fixed. Well, it could be, but they had to replace BOTH the LCD screen and the mainboard/motherboard(?), so it wasn't cost effective. They wanted to send me a factory refurbished unit. I told them to ship it back to me. After I got it, I took it to the Costco warehouse near me and they gave me a full cash refund. No questions asked. Now that's what I call customer service! They had the same model in stock at the warehouse that day and I bought another one with the refund. Guess what, it was $150 cheaper that day!

Amazon is also awesome.(but only for 30 days, but they usually will take care of you even up to 60 days after purchase)
ovaldisk is offline   Reply With Quote