Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-25-2014, 11:02 AM   #31
Coops
Zealot
Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Sony T3 backup
i now have a Sony T3 to replace my old 350.

I have tried both the original non-retina ipad mini, and a retina ipad Air - both using Marvin, so could adjust brightness as needed.

I prefer eink, to the extent that i will carry both around with me to work and back, and will happily pay for both.

Now, on the other hand, I cannot understand the kind of people who write 'an useless' or 'an hotel'...what is up with them?
Coops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 11:47 AM   #32
sharphamster
Anathema Device
sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T3/350, Kobo AuraH20/Mini, Axim X50v
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
Now, on the other hand, I cannot understand the kind of people who write 'an useless' or 'an hotel'...what is up with them?
They also had Ms. Kercher for 10th Grade Composition?

I still mentally correct homage to "annn Ooohhmaaaajhe" after all these years - you and your slight Quebec accent, Mrs. K!
sharphamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2014, 11:58 AM   #33
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
"An useless" is wrong, but "an hotel" is absolutely correct. You use "an" with words that start with "h" if the first syllable of the word is unstressed.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 07:09 PM   #34
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinancialWar View Post
Ever since I bought my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 last year, I bared touched my readers, low resolution, lack of back light and the need to carry an extra device.

I don't get it, why would anyone want to buy a reader just to read books? The only situation I can think of ever needing the reader is if I want to read books under the sunlight or where I won't be able to find plug to charge my phone. Which almost never happen in my life as I am an indoor person.

Seeing the thread of higher resolution and large phablets coming out in 2014, I have come to a conclusion that eReader is so 2011.

Good evening.

I will be your guide tonight as I give you a tour of our Flea Market:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=124
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 10:03 PM   #35
FinancialWar
Banned
FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.

Device: Sony PRS350, Onyx M92, Onyx T68 (defective!)
no thank you. Tired of your "Warnings" in flea market.
FinancialWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2014, 10:41 PM   #36
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
"An useless" is wrong, but "an hotel" is absolutely correct. You use "an" with words that start with "h" if the first syllable of the word is unstressed.
Is this a US/UK difference? Or does it depend on if you pronounce the H in hotel? I typically hear "a hotel" (with the H pronounced) here in the southeastern US.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 12:13 AM   #37
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
"A hotel" for me in the Midwest US also, we pronounce the H in hotel.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 02:06 AM   #38
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
Is this a US/UK difference? Or does it depend on if you pronounce the H in hotel? I typically hear "a hotel" (with the H pronounced) here in the southeastern US.
I think it's much more common in the UK, certainly.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:28 AM   #39
Coops
Zealot
Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Sony T3 backup
It's 'a hotel' for most of those in the UK, i'd say ( biased obviously), because 'an' sounds wrong precisely because the 'h' is spoken - and any rule that says otherwise is as made up as the one about the split infinitive... Bah, humbug ;-)
Coops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 07:42 AM   #40
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
It's 'a hotel' for most of those in the UK, i'd say ( biased obviously), because 'an' sounds wrong precisely because the 'h' is spoken - and any rule that says otherwise is as made up as the one about the split infinitive... Bah, humbug ;-)
The "h" is generally elided when the first syllable is unstressed (ie only sounded very weakly), hence the word is effectively starting with a vowel, so you use "an", not "a". Thus "an hotel" (first syllable unstressed), but "a hospital" (first syllable stressed). It's not a "made up rule" at all, but reflects the way that words are actually spoken. Split infinitive are purely artificial, by comparison.

I would think any author who wrote "a hotel" rather ignorant of English grammar, I'm afraid. It's on the level of not knowing the correct usage of "who" and "whom".
Old 02-26-2014, 08:28 AM   #41
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinancialWar View Post
Ever since I bought my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 last year, I bared touched my readers, low resolution, lack of back light and the need to carry an extra device.

I don't get it, why would anyone want to buy a reader just to read books? The only situation I can think of ever needing the reader is if I want to read books under the sunlight or where I won't be able to find plug to charge my phone. Which almost never happen in my life as I am an indoor person.

Seeing the thread of higher resolution and large phablets coming out in 2014, I have come to a conclusion that eReader is so 2011.

I would hazard a guess that people buy readers to read books. I know I do.

Since you indicate that the use of a reader - for you - occurs in situations that "almost never happen in my life," then I would suggest you avoid them entirely.

As you further state, you are an "indoor person."

My suggestion, based upon your quoted words above, is to simply avoid e-ink readers.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 08:50 AM   #42
FinancialWar
Banned
FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.

Device: Sony PRS350, Onyx M92, Onyx T68 (defective!)
currently if there is a 5 inch front lid ereader that can sync books using Android apps, I will consider buying one.
FinancialWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 09:25 AM   #43
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

There are no 5" frontlit eInk devices available. There are 5" LCD Smartphones.
Old 02-26-2014, 02:20 PM   #44
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Pick up an eink reader after reading on tablet for a while, and you will be amazed at how light it feel and how much less effort it takes to read on one for a long period of time.

----

It's "a hotel" here on the East Coast. "An hotel" would be an affectation.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 03:58 PM   #45
Salgueiros
Eudaimonia
Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T2, Sony PRS T3, Sony DPT-RP1
I fail to see the purpose of the OP.
Salgueiros is offline   Reply With Quote