Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-15-2006, 02:59 AM   #1
muratlale4
muratlale4 began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung I600,Treo 650, SonyEr. P1i
Red face Please Help, I am ignorant

Hello dear friends,
this is my first post, so please be gentle .

I am enthralled by the ebook technology, so I think I MUST have one.
I am sick of carrying half a dozen of books, refenrence guides, plus labtop and printouts!

But I have a couple of questions. Questions I could not answer by reading this forum (I know I am an I diot!).
Questions:

1.) Can I take notes on both systems? (Sony+Illiad)

1.1) If yes, only handwritten? Or can I use other input devices?

2.)Can I manypulate Word or Excell files?

3.)Can I browse the internet?

3.1) If yes, can I also use online Word or Excell services, or check mail?

My problem , as you can see,is that I am sick of using my huge labtop and that I also dont think that those new UltraSmall Samsung quasi thingies are worth a dime.
I realized that I dont even need a colour display to do most of my work on the road, sad but true!
It would be just perfect if one of you guys could tell me that there is a machine out there that could aid me!

Thanks in avance
and best regards
muratlale4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 04:05 AM   #2
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
I own an iLiad, so I can really only speak to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muratlale4

1.1) If yes, only handwritten? Or can I use other input devices?

3.1) If yes, can I also use online Word or Excell services, or check mail?
1. Yes, to a certain extent. It does not create text files, but rather "vector" files that record your pen strokes. You can use optional PC software to convert those files to text files.

2. No.

3. Yes, and no. It's possible, with a hack, but eInk updates so slow, you probably won't like it - depending on what sites you go to.

3.1 It depends. The browser is full featured, but may not be able to do everything.

Quote:
My problem , as you can see,is that I am sick of using my huge labtop and that I also dont think that those new UltraSmall Samsung quasi thingies are worth a dime.
Right now, these devices are pretty much focused on being eBook readers that maybe, sort-of, could do some laptop functionality.

If you are looking at replacing your laptop, I don't believe the current crop of eInk devices will serve your needs.
rlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2006, 05:28 AM   #3
k2r
Zealot
k2r doesn't litterk2r doesn't litter

Device: MP2K, iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlauzon
1. Yes, to a certain extent. It does not create text files, but rather "vector" files that record your pen strokes.
And it creates a png-file (readable by most graphic editors/viewers/webbrowsers) for every page of notes that contains a simple bitmap.
I use to take notes and minutes on my iLiad instead of paper every day and it works good - although there is room for improvement, of course. Since my handwriting is quite readable I often send them by email.

But: Using the tablet (to take notes) drains the iLiad's battery faster.
And: I don't have scratches on my display yet but I have on my Newton MP2K and on my Palm. Buying an additional pen with a felt-tip might make sense. (though I don't know yet which ones will work)
k2r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 08:35 AM   #4
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Does the Iliad have an accompanying stylus? If so could the tip be replaced with hard felt?
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 10:01 AM   #5
Judems
Judems began at the beginning.

Device: eBookman/Palm z22
judems

I have a question along with this man's questions. Is there only one e-ink technology that this group is following or are there possibly several different e-ink technologies being installed on the dozen or so devises being working on at this time. There are many sophisticated devises on the market especially in the mobile phone area - the e-ink technology seems to be the separating factor.
Judems is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2006, 11:34 AM   #6
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
(I know I am an I diot!).
Well, at some point, ignorance does become stupidity, but the real idiot is the one doesn't try to correct his ignorance. Since that's exactly what you are trying to do, you're clearly not an idiot, Q.E.D.

Oh, and BTW, welcome to MobileRead, muratlale4.

I've only got the Sony (and rlauzon has addressed the iLiad, already anyway), so I'll answer for that one.
Quote:
No, the Sony lacks an input mechanism. So unless some one creates one....

Quote:
Nope, It doesn't open XLS files and only RTF's, and the lack of input thing again.

Quote:
No, it doesn't have any wireless, and when it's connected to a PC via USB, the screen gets taken over with a graphic, so unless someone hacks it to do such a thing....

I suppose I could have just said a single "no" but I figured it'd be best to explain the obstacles, as a few of them might be overcome by clever hacking.

I agree with rlauzon that these devices aren't really designed for a laptop replacement. Someday, perhaps, but not today. The Sony really is optimized for Reading, which is why it doesn't have the hardware to do what you're after: from the perspective of reading, it's just extra stuff.

@yvanleterrible: Yes, I'm pretty sure the iLiad comes with a stylus, no idea about tip replacement, though.

@Judems: We do follow the other display techs out there, it is kind of spotty of course, as it varies by particular interest and it's all volunteer.

Right now, I don't think there's a reading device in production that uses any of the other techs, and we're all distracted with e-ink at the moment, since it's pretty recently out. Of the few I've seen, the e-ink is the best for reading so far. My opinion, of course.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 04:38 PM   #7
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible
Does the Iliad have an accompanying stylus? If so could the tip be replaced with hard felt?
I think it can.

The Wacom tech works by noticing that the pen is near, not by touch. So, in theory, you could do that.
rlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 02:54 PM   #8
k2r
Zealot
k2r doesn't litterk2r doesn't litter

Device: MP2K, iLiad
Yvan:
No, the tip of the original iLiad-Pen does not seem replacable.
However, it's a wacom-Pen with a touch-sensitive tip that tells the device when the tip touches the surface and when it's just hovering. (iLiad owners can try this, just hover over the display and press the tip with your finger)

There are other Wacom Pens that work like this, some of them have a felt-tip and some are said to work with the iLiad.

I don't know whether there are pens that do both :-)
k2r is offline   Reply With Quote