Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > HanLin eBook

Notices

Old 01-06-2010, 03:12 AM   #1
PinkTissue
PinkTissue has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Hanlin V3
Eco Reader - urgent help needed - unable to open Chinese txt

I broke my Hanlin v3 :-(

I bought Eco reader. a rebranded Hanlin v3.
However, it is unable to read Chinese txt unlike my own hanlin v3.
It could read the Chinese title after I change the system language to Chinese but it fails to open the chinese txt file.

Is there any way I could get my Eco reader to read Chinese txt files. I would faint if I have to convert thousands of Chinese txt novels into pdf before I could read them.

I really cannot understand why Eco Reader cannot read Chinese txt files since my old Hanlin v3 is able to do so. Is it missing some code that I could update?

Last edited by PinkTissue; 01-06-2010 at 04:43 AM.
PinkTissue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 04:37 AM   #2
PinkTissue

Nobody can help ?
I have even called up Jinke at China for help. They said that the Chinese txt files should be able to open. They have asked me to e-mail to them with the details.

Grrr......
Advert
Old 01-06-2010, 05:15 AM   #3
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkTissue View Post
Nobody can help ?
I have even called up Jinke at China for help. They said that the Chinese txt files should be able to open. They have asked me to e-mail to them with the details.

Grrr......
Have you tried going to the ECO Reader website at http://www.ecoreader.com.au/

I have found them to be exceptionally helpful; if anyone can help they can.

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 05:27 AM   #4
PinkTissue

I have tried the ecoreader website. I cannot find any solutions to the problem. I have e-mail to the 'help desk' but was given an auto reply that she would only be in on 11 Jan 10!

I am quite sure that this could be fixed. But I must say I am disappointed....if the product claims that it has Chinese support, it should be able to open/read Chinese txt file. So in someway, this is a 'flawed' product which is shipped out without being tested properly.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:35 AM   #5
keng2000
Researcher and Consultant
keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: MACBOOKPRO17" HP2400TX SONYUX27
Is it the same chinese file?
If the answer is yes, The problem may be your new ECO Firmware. move it to HANLIN firmware.
if not, you text may not be UNICODE text file. Save it with with UNICODE type.

Hope it helps,
keng2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2010, 07:43 AM   #6
PinkTissue

The files are saved in unicode and could be read at my old Hanlin v3. How do I 'move' it to the Hanlin firmware?
Old 01-06-2010, 09:18 AM   #7
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkTissue View Post
The files are saved in unicode and could be read at my old Hanlin v3. How do I 'move' it to the Hanlin firmware?
Just download the latest Hanlin firmware and flash your Eco with it.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:38 AM   #8
PinkTissue

Thank you for all the suggestions. I updated using Hanlin latest firmware and now it could open and read Chinese txt files like my old Hanlin V3

I should have try this forum first before trying to contact Australia and making phone call to the Jinke HQ at China (thank goodness they could understand my Chinese over the phone although they have yet to offer a solution asking me to e-mail them the problem instead).
Old 01-06-2010, 05:03 PM   #9
cbell
Frenetic
cbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipse

Device: iLiad V2
PinkTissue, I work for DA Direct - the suppliers of ECO Readers. It's usual for Australian companies to close for 2-4 weeks over Christmas/New Year. Our helpdesk will be back up and running on Monday 11th January and they'll respond to any queries you've sent them.

If you send me a PM with your email address, I'll send you the details for downloading the latest ECO Reader firmware. The staff at DA Asia in Singapore can also supply you with these details.

There's no limit on how many times you change your firmware, but the ECO Reader firmware has features we've requested - I think it's worthwhile for you to try the latest version.
cbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 08:12 PM   #10
keng2000
Researcher and Consultant
keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: MACBOOKPRO17" HP2400TX SONYUX27
Then, The problem may br about the Fonts for Chinese Locale in ECO Reader Firmware missing.
Good to hear your problem solve.
keng2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:35 PM   #11
PinkTissue

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbell View Post
PinkTissue, I work for DA Direct - the suppliers of ECO Readers. It's usual for Australian companies to close for 2-4 weeks over Christmas/New Year. Our helpdesk will be back up and running on Monday 11th January and they'll respond to any queries you've sent them.

If you send me a PM with your email address, I'll send you the details for downloading the latest ECO Reader firmware. The staff at DA Asia in Singapore can also supply you with these details.

There's no limit on how many times you change your firmware, but the ECO Reader firmware has features we've requested - I think it's worthwhile for you to try the latest version.
Thanks for the help. I have sent an e-mail to Australia which is why I know that Australia companies closes till 11 Jan 10. While this is now settled, I am still upset that the E-reader is not updated properly in the first place since it cannot even open a basic Chinese txt file. I have tried out at least 3 Eco Readers so I know the whole batch have not have their firmware updated. I am afraid that the Singapore supplier is not of any help - the salesperson(s), while polite, knows very little on the product and merely gave a polite smile when I asked for support and the standard reply that 'no, it could not open chinese txt files, perhaps you would want to buy I-River instead if you want to open Chinese.txt files'. I went to different stores to check with the salesperson but all gave the same reply.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:36 PM   #12
cbell
Frenetic
cbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipse

Hi PinkTissue, we've had 3 firmware updates for our ECO Readers since they were released a few months ago, so it's not surprising if you didn't have the latest firmware version loaded. As you've seen, changing firmware is an easy process.

I'm confident your problem could have been solved and I encourage you to email the ECO Reader helpdesk for details if you wish to revert to ECO Reader firmware.
Old 04-11-2010, 11:18 PM   #13
greenapple
Evangelist
greenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle DX, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbell View Post
Hi PinkTissue, we've had 3 firmware updates for our ECO Readers since they were released a few months ago, so it's not surprising if you didn't have the latest firmware version loaded. As you've seen, changing firmware is an easy process.

I'm confident your problem could have been solved and I encourage you to email the ECO Reader helpdesk for details if you wish to revert to ECO Reader firmware.
Hi cbell, I'm interested in purchasing an Eco reader. I'm very certain that I'd be using for reading Chinese text files. I wonder where I might find the new firmware updates you mentioned for the Eco reader. I can't find anything about firmware at all from http://www.ecoreader.com.au/
greenapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 11:58 PM   #14
cbell
Frenetic

Hi greenapple, all 4 versions of ECO Reader firmware are located on DA Direct's server in Australia. This server is accessible to all ECO Reader owners.

Please feel free to email the helpdesk at http://www.ecoreader.com.au if you have any queries.
Old 04-12-2010, 12:47 AM   #15
greenapple
Evangelist
greenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle DX, Kobo Aura HD
I don't quite understand how it works. The firmware is not freely downloadable but it has to be specifically requested for via an email? I can't see any download links.

Additionally how would I know if a new firmware has been made available in future if the website isn't providing any visible clue? Does the user have to email the helpdesk repeatedly to check if there's a new one available?

Would really appreciate some help on this. Thanks.

Last edited by greenapple; 04-12-2010 at 01:32 AM.
greenapple is offline   Reply With Quote