Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 11-25-2012, 09:06 AM   #1
wkuiper
wkuiper began at the beginning.

Device: none
How to suppress headings?

L.S.,

When using WordPerfect I can suppress headers, footers, pagenumbers etc. They are there but you don't see them.
Is this also possible in Sigil?
I need headings for the creation of a TOC, but I want them to be invisible for the reader.

Yours,

Willem
wkuiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:02 AM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Not sure I'm exactly following, but if you just want to create headings in the html code to use for NCX ToC generation (but don't want the chapter heading/title to be rendered when reading), I recommend something to the effect of ...

in the (x)html:
Code:
<h2 class="heading_noshow" title="Section One">&nbsp;</h2>
Code:
and in the CSS:
.heading_noshow {
  display: none;
}
Then generate the NCX ToC.

(Leaving the text of the 'h' tags empty--no &nbsp;--seems to work on some systems as well, but I'm not sure if it plays nice universally)
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2012, 10:07 AM   #3
wkuiper

Thank you very much! I will try it and I will tell you if it works.

Yours,

Willem
Old 11-25-2012, 10:31 AM   #4
wkuiper

Before I continue I want to make sure that you exactly understand what I am trying to do.
Right now I add "[Hoofdstuk 1]" at the top of a chapter and click on h4.
When I generate a TOC "[Hoofdstuk 1]" appears in the right window.
"[Hoofdstuk 1]" in the right window is exactly what I want, but within the chapter I don't need it and I want to suppress it for the viewer.
Where can I find the CSS file in wich I have to insert: .heading_noshow {
}
I can find a subdirectory "Styles" but it is empty.
I have searched with the Explorer without any result. There is no CSS stylesheet within my Sigil directory.
Must I create a stylesheet myself first?

Right now the heading of chapter 1 reads:

<h4 id="sigil_toc_id_3" style="text-align: center;">[Hoofdstuk 1]</h4>

Yours,

Willem

Last edited by wkuiper; 11-25-2012 at 10:34 AM.
Old 11-25-2012, 10:44 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkuiper View Post
Before I continue I want to make sure that you exactly understand what I am trying to do.
Right now I add "[Hoofdstuk 1]" at the top of a chapter and click on h4.
When I generate a TOC "[Hoofdstuk 1]" appears in the right window.
"[Hoofdstuk 1]" in the right window is exactly what I want, but within the chapter I don't need it and I want to suppress it for the viewer.
Where can I find the CSS file in wich I have to insert: .heading_noshow {
}
I can find a subdirectory "Styles" but it is empty.
I have searched with the Explorer without any result. There is no CSS stylesheet within my Sigil directory.
Must I create a stylesheet myself first?

Right now the heading of chapter 1 reads:

<h4 id="sigil_toc_id_3" style="text-align: center; display: none;">[Hoofdstuk 1]</h4>

Yours,

Willem
You have no stylesheet.
What you have is inline styles, while the styles work, you have to modify each place used (see my markup in red)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2012, 10:47 AM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sorry, you'll have to use Sigil's Code View to enter the html I suggested. You won't be able to achieve what you want using Book (WYSIWYG) View alone.

As for creating/adding/linking a CSS file... my apologies... I assumed too much about your ePub-knowledge/skill-level. If you're not using an external stylesheet for your ePub (and don't know how), perhaps you should forget that part for now. How to create an external stylesheet and ensure it's properly linked in all the necessary html files is probably a lesson in itself (for another time).

In Code view, make sure you have:
Code:
<h4 title="[Hoofdstuk 1]"></h2>
Then generate the ToC. And see if this achieves what you're looking for.

EDIT: theducks method should definitely work for you, as well. But either way, you're going to have to step out of the comfort of Book View and "get your hands dirty" in Code View to do what you want.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 11-25-2012 at 10:50 AM.
Old 11-25-2012, 11:06 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Sorry, you'll have to use Sigil's Code View to enter the html I suggested. You won't be able to achieve what you want using Book (WYSIWYG) View alone.

As for creating/adding/linking a CSS file... my apologies... I assumed too much about your ePub-knowledge/skill-level. If you're not using an external stylesheet for your ePub (and don't know how), perhaps you should forget that part for now. How to create an external stylesheet and ensure it's properly linked in all the necessary html files is probably a lesson in itself (for another time).

In Code view, make sure you have:
Code:
<h4 title="[Hoofdstuk 1]"></h2>
Then generate the ToC. And see if this achieves what you're looking for.

EDIT: theducks method should definitely work for you, as well. But either way, you're going to have to step out of the comfort of Book View and "get your hands dirty" in Code View to do what you want.
mis matched tags?
Old 11-25-2012, 11:38 AM   #8
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
mis matched tags?
Yes, that's the ... errrr ... little-known, mis-matched-tag heading-hider trick. You've never used it?

Just seeing if you were paying attention.
Old 11-25-2012, 12:08 PM   #9
wkuiper

Do not overestimate me as a 'programmer', but I can manage the code view window and I know something about html.
Let me show you my work in progress:
It is an edition of a Dutch book printed in 1564.
I have no e-reader myself for more than one reason but I would like to share some editions of late medieval romances with people who do not read on dead wood stained with ink (as a collegue said).
I am satisfied with the result when I import this file in Adobe Digital Editions.
Yet I would like to be able to suppress the TOC headings for the reader without having to go to a programmers school.
It is not that I am lazy.
Editing the romance is more important than suppressing the chapter titles.
Moreover this is the simple version of the edition.
The real edition is also containing the French source.
But since epub cannot cope with footnotes I have discarded them for the epub edition.

Yours,

Willem
Attached Files
File Type: epub Ponthus_ende_Sidonie_epub_editie.epub (54.1 KB, 150 views)
Old 11-25-2012, 01:32 PM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Do not overestimate me as a 'programmer', but I can manage the code view window and I know something about html.
Let me show you my work in progress:
It is an edition of a Dutch book printed in 1564.
I have no e-reader myself for more than one reason but I would like to share some editions of late medieval romances with people who do not read on dead wood stained with ink (as a collegue said).
I am satisfied with the result when I import this file in Adobe Digital Editions.
Yet I would like to be able to suppress the TOC headings for the reader without having to go to a programmers school.
It is not that I am lazy.
Editing the romance is more important than suppressing the chapter titles.
Moreover this is the simple version of the edition.
The real edition is also containing the French source.
But since epub cannot cope with footnotes I have discarded them for the epub edition.

Yours,

Willem
EPUB can deal with foot notes. They just are not identical to what you saw on paper
Call them chapter (or section notes). Put the notes at the end of each section(chapter). Use the Link and Anchor features of Sigil Six to place the linkages.

The user will need to know how to navigate 'links' with their model reader (done all different ways , but usually done)
Old 11-25-2012, 01:37 PM   #11
wkuiper

I use so many footnotes that it is impossible for a reader to go forward and back all the time. I keep my footnotes for my pdf-editions. They can be read very well on a 10.1 inch tablet.
Old 11-25-2012, 04:43 PM   #12
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I use so many footnotes that it is impossible for a reader to go forward and back all the time.
Why not let the reader decide if it's impossible or not? Just because a link is there doesn't mean it has to be followed... and those who are interested won't mind following them regardless of how many there might be. I, myself, find it quite painless to flip back and forth between (end|foot)-notes and text while ereading. Are you certain you're not trying to micro-manage the reader's experience of your work?

Last edited by DiapDealer; 11-25-2012 at 04:46 PM.
Old 11-25-2012, 04:54 PM   #13
wkuiper

DiapDealer,

Thanks to Sigil F1 I found out that one does not need a (separate) style sheet.
<style> ... </style> is enough.
So I styled your ".heading_noshow {
}"
and I added your "display: none;"
After one or more trial and errors I finally got what I wanted: a 'no show' heading.

Wish I could double your karma points ;<)

Yours very grateful,

Willem
Old 11-26-2012, 02:04 AM   #14
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Willem, please consider using a stylesheet. It makes your life easier, also for other layout stuff. An internal stylesheet must be repeated for each file. Don't forget, the html file must not be larger than 300 kb. Otherwise it will nor load or work very slowly on readers. In general each chapter has his own file. That makes having an external stylesheet very handy.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:05 AM   #15
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
Willem, please consider using a stylesheet. It makes your life easier, also for other layout stuff. An internal stylesheet must be repeated for each file. Don't forget, the html file must not be larger than 300 kb. Otherwise it will nor load or work very slowly on readers. In general each chapter has his own file. That makes having an external stylesheet very handy.
I agree 100%. You can get a stylesheet by downloading one of the many fine ebooks from the MR library, check to see how you like the way it lays out and then just right click on the stylesheet under Styles and save as. Then you can add it to any book you are working on. You can add your hidden style to it, save it, then you can just add it to any book you are working on.

I worked on a book that had many pictures. At first, I thought that italics looked good for the captions. But after a while, I didn't like them so much. Because I had used a stylesheet, I got rid of the reference to italics in the stylesheet for my capt style and instantly, all of my captions were normal type. Same thing goes for type size, indent or no indent, all changed at once if you use a stylesheet.

Clips make it easy to add a style. If I want to make a caption, I just right click inside a <p> and use a clip that inserts class="capt" and there it is. You can use clips to add anything you want.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote