Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 03-19-2011, 01:18 AM   #1
MamaSylvia
Enthusiast
MamaSylvia doesn't litterMamaSylvia doesn't litter

Device: Droid 1, Kindle 3
Importing changed HTML file -> duplicate entries

IIRC, there was a thread about making changes to an HTML file and then re-importing the changed file to Calibre, and someone said as long as the title/author were the same, Calibre would just overwrite the original file and keep the metadata. So I've been editing an HTML file and periodically re-adding the file and clicking "yes" when it asked about importing a possible duplicate. And I just now realized that Calibre has been ADDING them as new entries, not replacing the original entry, so I have 4 Calibre entries for the same book. What am I doing wrong? Also, is there any way I can flag the cover image in the HTML file so Calibre knows it's the cover? I know I can add it using the "edit metadata" option, but I'm going to be editing this for a while and want to copy the latest version to my Kindle on an at least daily basis.
MamaSylvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 01:32 AM   #2
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
You need to use the Edit Metadata window, and click the 'Add new format' button, or drag and drop your html into the list of formats. This will overwrite the file and keep the metadata as you want.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2011, 02:36 AM   #3
MamaSylvia
Enthusiast

Hot dog, that worked. The "add new format" button didn't seem to do anything when I clicked it, but when I converted to .mobi format and uploaded it to my Kindle, my most recent edits were there! Thanks so much!
Old 03-19-2011, 07:18 AM   #4
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
It's worth noting that depending on what you have the automerge options set to in preferences->adding books, you may have been seeing expected behaviour. There's an option to add duplicate books as duplicates instead of merging them. Merging would only work if you deleted the HTML format from the relevant entry in the first place, anyhow- I don't think automerge would just overwrite an existing format.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 07:52 AM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
Merging would only work if you deleted the HTML format from the relevant entry in the first place, anyhow- I don't think automerge would just overwrite an existing format.
I don't use this option but the second option of automerge is "Overwrite existing duplicate formats".
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2011, 08:58 AM   #6
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
I don't use this option but the second option of automerge is "Overwrite existing duplicate formats".
Ah, well. I shouldn't write posts based on my memory of how things look like.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 09:13 AM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
Ah, well. I shouldn't write posts based on my memory of how things look like.
This feature was just update to include these options in version 0.7.45. Calibre zips along so fast it's hard to keep track of all the new things.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 12:17 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Note that in newer calibre versions there is an "Add files to selected book records" entry in the Add books menu which allows you to update formats without having to use the edit metadata dialog
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 12:29 PM   #9
MamaSylvia
Enthusiast

Amazingly, I was able to find both the automerge option (which I did not have checked) and the "Add files to selected book records" item, so I can try them both and see which works better for me. Thanks!

I'd still like to know if there is a way to flag a cover image in the HTML file so Calibre will pick it up, though.