Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 01-28-2011, 08:54 PM   #1
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
[GUI Plugin] User Category

This plugin offers a quick way to add/remove from the selected books to a specified "user category" via the context menu. A user category (defined using the tag browser panel on the left of the Calibre display) can contain lists of any combination of authors, tags, series or publishers. They allows you to categorize your collection at a "higher level" than per book which can sometimes be a limitation of tags/custom columns.

For instance you could create a "Favourite Authors" or "Must Read" user category containing not only selected authors but also specified tags or series names etc. Calibre offers a convenient right-click in the tag browser to perform a search displaying all the matches for your user category, making them even more useful.

Calibre itself has a "maintain" dialog accessible from the tag browser panel allowing you to create, rename and delete user categories, as well as add/remove items. However it can be inconvenient to use that dialog to add items with large databases, as it has no search capability. This plugin offers a more convenient right-click alternative allowing you to add/remove from the books you select in the library view.

Main Features:
  • Add or remove selected authors, series, publishers or tags to user categories
  • Move selected value(s) off all other user categories into a different one
  • If multiple items are selected, displays a dialog allowing you to make a sub-selection. Particularly useful when books have multiple tags and you do not want all of them added/removed.
  • Customise the dropdown menu to as minimal or fully featured as you prefer it.
  • Menus enabled/disabled to show whether the selected items are already in the specific user category.
  • Show in tag viewer feature to quickly open and select user category.
  • Maintain your user categories without tag viewer pane visible.
  • No longer requires a restart of Calibre to detect new/removed user categories in the menus.

Special Notes:
Paypal Donations:
  • If you find this or any of my other plugins useful please feel free to show your appreciation. I have spent many hundreds of unpaid hours in their development and support so any encouragement for me to continue is appreciated!
Attached Files
File Type: zip User Category.zip (125.2 KB, 101 views)

Last edited by kiwidude; 03-16-2024 at 11:59 PM. Reason: New version
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 05:38 AM   #2
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

v1.3 Released

I've just uploaded a bugfix version of this plugin. It is particularly important that users with multiple libraries upgrade to this version.

There are no changes to the functionality. Enjoy
Advert
Old 04-03-2011, 10:27 AM   #3
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

v1.4 Released

Changes in v1.4:
  • Rewritten for new plugin infrastructure in Calibre 0.7.53
Old 04-09-2011, 08:32 PM   #4
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

v1.4.1 Released

Changes in this release:
  • Support skinning of icons by putting them in a plugin name subfolder of local resources/images
Old 07-03-2011, 06:29 PM   #5
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

v1.4.2 Released

Changes in this release:
  • Fix for Calibre code changes made with release 0.8.8 to tag view

Refactoring changes made to Calibre in 0.8.8 broke the "View user category" menu option. This new version fixes that (and hence requires Calibre 0.8.8 to run).
Advert
Old 07-04-2011, 09:19 AM   #6
Gunnerp245
Gadget Freak
Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EE, Note 8
Question

@kiwidude

If I had author 'Tom Clancy' with 20 or so separate books, this plugin would roll up and display 'Tom Clancy' as a single entry?
Gunnerp245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 09:37 AM   #7
ntome
ntome began at the beginning.

Device: none
will this rename the directory name where the book is stored?
ntome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 10:46 AM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntome View Post
will this rename the directory name where the book is stored?
If you change a Author in Calibre, direct or using a PI.
CALIBRE maintains the folder names as needed. (and you should not care, as you use the GUI to Export files to your reader )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 01:26 PM   #9
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnerp245 View Post
@kiwidude

If I had author 'Tom Clancy' with 20 or so separate books, this plugin would roll up and display 'Tom Clancy' as a single entry?
If you chose "Add selected authors" to your user category, then yes it will add one "Tom Clancy" entry to your user category (not 20). If your seletion covers multiple authors, it will popup with a dialog asking which you would like to add in case you wanted only a subset of them.

@ntome - this plugin has nothing to do with renaming directories. It is simply about adding/removing/viewing items in your own user category lists in the tag browser on the left of Calibre. It does not change the books themselves in any way.
Old 07-30-2011, 12:33 PM   #10
Maggie-Me
Zealot
Maggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with others

Device: Kindle PW,Sony 700, Sony 950 (Daily Edition),Nook Color,iPad
Hi, great plug in, just started using it... suggestion / question, is it possible to have an "exclude" for example I added an author that crosses genre,

I would like to pick the author but exclude any tags that say "Sci Fi".

Thanks
Maggie-Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 01:14 PM   #11
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

Hi Maggie-Me,

No there is no way to do that from the plugin itself. Whether an item in a user category is applied as an inclusive or exclusive filter is down to how you actually click on it in the tag browser or type your search. You would likely do that as a saved search instead.
Old 09-11-2011, 03:33 PM   #12
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

v1.5.0 Released

Changes in this release:
  • Upgrade to support the centralised keyboard shortcut management in Calibre

Requires Calibre 0.8.18. It is now possible to assign keyboard shortcuts to any of the menu items, using either Preferences->Keyboard or the Customise Plugin screen for this plugin.
Old 12-18-2011, 01:16 PM   #13
CrazyDutchwoman
CrazyDutchwoman began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
Hi. I see that I did install this plug in but I do not see what you show us on the first screenshot that when I click on a book I get the option to put it in a category.

I am probably doing something wrong. I am trying to figure calibre out. ove it but now trying to understand the plug ins and I just got the count pages one working and I love it.
CrazyDutchwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 01:55 PM   #14
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

@CrazyDutchwoman - I think you missed a step when installing the plugin of adding the plugin to your context menu. You can correct this by going to Preferences -> Toolbar. Choose "The context menu for books in the calibre library".
Old 12-25-2011, 06:08 AM   #15
CrazyDutchwoman
CrazyDutchwoman began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
Thank you so much! You are right. I always only use the first 2 options. main toolbar or when a device is connected.

Must go and explore.
CrazyDutchwoman is offline   Reply With Quote