Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 07-06-2012, 11:57 AM   #286
Jade Aislin
Groupie
Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kobo Auro H2O, PRS-T1
That first code worked great. Thanks!

I figured it was something simple. I found the | symbol when looking up template syntax, but was unsure how to implement it. It did seem to leave a space when there was nothing in that field, which I haven't decided whether I like or not. However, I'm more than happy with it and I am going to start color coding my books by website.
Jade Aislin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 11:23 PM   #287
ElizabethN
reader, ebook junkie
ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: droid, kindle, kobo, eslick, sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade Aislin View Post
I have finally gotten around to playing with this plugin. I've been able to generate a cover that has all the metadata I want on it.
what a neat idea. Is the created cover insertable/attachable/replaceable to the file without having to convert? currently to get a metadata jacket into a file I have to convert, i.e. mobi to mobi. If it can be added without conversion, is it only on drm-free books or will it work on evil drm'd books?

Please forgive if this was all discussed earlier, just direct me to the approx spot in the thread. Thanks.
ElizabethN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 04:57 AM   #288
44reader
Connoisseur
44reader can extract oil from cheese44reader can extract oil from cheese44reader can extract oil from cheese44reader can extract oil from cheese44reader can extract oil from cheese44reader can extract oil from cheese44reader can extract oil from cheese44reader can extract oil from cheese44reader can extract oil from cheese

Device: none
@ElizabethN

I'm pretty sure you can do that with kiwidude's Modify ePub plugin. https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=154371
44reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 06:00 AM   #289
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade Aislin View Post
It did seem to leave a space when there was nothing in that field, which I haven't decided whether I like or not.
You should be able to get rid of the space by putting your newline character inside the actual brackets of the formula rather than after the closing bracket. e.g. something like:
Code:
{#warnings:|\nWarning: |}{#genre:|\nGenre: |}...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizabethN View Post
what a neat idea. Is the created cover insertable/attachable/replaceable to the file without having to convert? currently to get a metadata jacket into a file I have to convert, i.e. mobi to mobi. If it can be added without conversion, is it only on drm-free books or will it work on evil drm'd books?
I see 44reader suggested Modify ePub, however you mention you personally use mobi formats. If you are looking to stick with mobi only then there are no plugin tools to help. One reason why so many of us use ePub as a master format - so you can use Modify ePub to insert metadata jackets and replace covers without doing ePub -> ePub conversions. However that will still leave in your case (as it does in mine as a Kindle owner also) the need to then do an ePub -> Mobi conversion at the end.

Depending on how an existing cover is defined inside your existing mobi files, you may find in some cases that calibre will substitute in the latest cover for you anyways when sending the mobi to your device, without going down the ePub route. However that is a dice roll though, it depends on the manifest inside the mobi file and whether it already has an existing cover. If you have converted it with calibre already then it should be replaceable. So you could generate a new cover using this plugin, then send to device/save to disk and see if the new cover is inserted.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 01:41 PM   #290
ElizabethN
reader, ebook junkie
ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: droid, kindle, kobo, eslick, sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
I see 44reader suggested Modify ePub, however you mention you personally use mobi formats. If you are looking to stick with mobi only then there are no plugin tools to help. One reason why so many of us use ePub as a master format - so you can use Modify ePub to insert metadata jackets and replace covers without doing ePub -> ePub conversions. However that will still leave in your case (as it does in mine as a Kindle owner also) the need to then do an ePub -> Mobi conversion at the end.

Depending on how an existing cover is defined inside your existing mobi files, you may find in some cases that calibre will substitute in the latest cover for you anyways when sending the mobi to your device, without going down the ePub route. However that is a dice roll though, it depends on the manifest inside the mobi file and whether it already has an existing cover. If you have converted it with calibre already then it should be replaceable. So you could generate a new cover using this plugin, then send to device/save to disk and see if the new cover is inserted.
thanks kiwidude & 44reader.

I currently just re-send the original mobi (minus restrictions) back to the kindle so that any series info will be added to the title, then I run kindle collection manager. By not sending a converted file I haven't lost the original sync and share feature along with the recommendations for other books. The downside is that I have to live with amazon's lack of book description.

I create and save a master epub file from the mobi file so I could convert (thus maintaining the original epub) then tweak the new epub. Converting that epub to mobi then checking and correcting exth headers (much easier now, thanks kiwidude), would give me almost the same features as an original amazon mobi, with a book description, to then send to the kindle.

I'll have to play around with various options after I get done at work and complete the almost due continuing ed.
ElizabethN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 12:45 AM   #291
Jade Aislin
Groupie
Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kobo Auro H2O, PRS-T1
Quote:
You should be able to get rid of the space by putting your newline character inside the actual brackets of the formula rather than after the closing bracket. e.g. something like:
Code:
{#warnings:|\nWarning: |}{#genre:|\nGenre: |}...
\n did not work. I believe that someone mentioned earlier on this thread that it should be <br/>. Only when I tried to use it, it always made the line break. Is there a code to say not to have a line break? Because I could add that to the code and then use the line break code like you have indicated. I think that would solve the empty line problem.

I've also run into another problem when I use this plugin with the FFDL plugin. I'm trying to generate covers when I first get a story. However, there seemed to be a problem when I set one of the metadata I wanted on my cover to a composite column. The composite column data wouldn't show up on the cover unless the story was already in my library.

I've been discussing this problem with the creator of the FFDL plugin (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=525), and he agrees that it appears to be a problem with the composite column. I'm not sure if this issue can be solved or why I didn't have the problem before FFNs latest changes.
Jade Aislin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 03:30 AM   #292
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Re the line break. That was me who said it needed to be <br/> earlier in this thread, it was just twice now I have made the same mistake, sigh. And provided you put it in the correct part of the expression I don't see why it shouldn't work since it did for that previous example/user. The only "issue" I found is that when you close and reopen the dialog the formula loses the tag and instead displays the formula split across two lines, which indicates just hitting enter at that point is the other way to insert a new line in the formula as it still works fine. The being displayed differently is just because the computer is treating the formula like a web page and following the instruction to put a break in there rather than displaying it as those characters.

As for the FFDL issue, it sounds nothing to do with this plugin. You said yourself if you generate separately it works. So it must be to do with the metadata object that FFDL passes to the plugin in my opinion.
Old 07-08-2012, 12:51 PM   #293
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite(10th)
Quote:
As for the FFDL issue, it sounds nothing to do with this plugin. You said yourself if you generate separately it works. So it must be to do with the metadata object that FFDL passes to the plugin in my opinion.
Actually, we think it has to do with a composite column with a template function not being evaluated right away.

A simple custom column works immediately. An composite column with a simple template (say {#characters}, {#genre}) works immediately.

But a composite column with a template function ({#genre:uppercase()}) doesn't work immediately.

It looks to me like a problem with calibre itself, but I suggested Jade Aislin ask here in case it was something you'd ever seen before.

I think I have a work around for it, but I'll take that discussion back to the FFDL thread.
JimmXinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:48 AM   #294
DMee
Zealot
DMee began at the beginning.

Device: ipad, iphone, kindle
Hi,

Playing with yet another amazing plugin and I am stuck :-(

Is there an easy way to find all the books with Calibre generated covers?

Once done, is there an easy way to bulk run this Generate Covers plugin on them all?
DMee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:03 AM   #295
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

No there is no way of determining which are calibre generated covers. A cover image is just an image. At best you can detect (using QC) whether a book has had a cover page added to it by calibre - but that cover page might have an auto-generated image or it might have a genuine image.

As to running in bulk - sure, just select all the books you want to run it it on and generate. Of course you can only apply one "setting" to the selected books - i.e. if you wanted to have different looking covers for different genres you would need to filter your selections to just the relevant books and generate for each subset.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:06 AM   #296
DMee
Zealot

No I just wanted a fancy leather cover instead of old Calibre style one.

Looks like its back to manually wading through :-(

.....or..... would each calibre auto generated cover be a set size??
Old 07-17-2012, 08:16 AM   #297
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

A calibre generated cover will start off at a specific size (590 x 750 I believe), but if any conversions have been done that will have been resized. If you are thinking of using the QC size check bear in mind that will also only work if you have "extracted" the cover image from inside the book (i.e. there is a cover.jpg in the book directory).

"Wading through" is the only realistic way. You might find the "Temp marker" plugin with a keyboard shortcut assigned useful for that.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:31 AM   #298
DMee
Zealot

OK... I think I have Calibre set to put cover.jpg in each folder - how do I ensure this has happened / rerun to make it happen?

If I then use an image viewer to delete all the Calibre cover.jpg's, will this then trigger anything to allow bulk finding??
Old 07-17-2012, 08:41 AM   #299
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

Definitely don't go hacking around with the covers in calibre's library by deleting them...

if you do a search for cover:false it will show you which books do not have a cover image associated (and vice versa). And the bulk edit dialog has options on there to both remove covers and extract covers from the ebook (bearing in mind that the latter will overwrite any cover you might have downloaded). Any time you download a cover or extract a cover (there is a button for that on the single edit metadata dialog too) that is the source for the image. or of course you can generate one using calibre, or using this plugin.

Last edited by kiwidude; 07-17-2012 at 08:44 AM.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:50 AM   #300
DMee
Zealot

Bugger ;-) Just thought if there were blank covers then the cover:false would bulk pick them