Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-05-2009, 10:23 AM   #1
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
iTunes for print?

It's interesting that Apple is once again considered the driving force behind a "digital revolution". With a device that has not even been announced yet, no less.

Quote:
Traditional publishers -- concerned that Apple's anticipated tablet computer could affect their business the way the iPod disempowered music publishers -- are discussing possible strategies, including an industry-wide digital storefront where tablet users could buy digital issues or subscriptions without going through iTunes or the App Store.
Source: http://adage.com/mediaworks/article?article_id=139387

I sincerely hope all this will lead to iTunes-esque prices for eBooks.
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 11:03 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
This is yet again rather silly. Why are they talking about a device that doesn't exist and isn't even announced to even possibly exist? I think they've lost it big time.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2009, 11:13 AM   #3
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Well, you can say it's silly but I actually think it is a sign that they realize their product will go the way of the emm-pee-three and they want to prepare.

Which means they also realize there actually is a market for eBooks out there. I wonder why they only realize now.

But most of all I find it rather amusing, that a company can make a name for itself in such a way that even rumors can cause a panic in an entire industry.

(Might be far-fetched to call it a panic, maybe even more far-fetcheder to think it's an entire industry when it might, actually, just be one or two publishers.)
Old 10-05-2009, 11:17 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
But the thing is, this so called tablet is not going to be an industry killer. It won't have good enough battery life. Would it last 8 hours? Not up to, but a full 8 hours? Apple products tend to have poor battery life (for the battery powered devices). So even if this went from rumor to real, it's still out of the running (IMHO).
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 11:23 AM   #5
M0zza
Geek... Apparently
M0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Sony PRS-505 (Silver), ASUS Transformer TF300T, IPAD Air 2
If the publishing industry is concerned at just the rumour of an Apple Tablet. It shows they may have learned something from the music industry and be working toward a digital revolution as opposed to being dragged toward it kicking and screaming.
M0zza is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2009, 11:25 AM   #6
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
If that us what it takes for them to come up with some kind of standard when it comes to publishing then let them be fearful of this so called tablet
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 11:31 AM   #7
mores
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Apple products tend to have poor battery life (for the battery powered devices)
This is not entirely true - look at the MacBook and MB Pro. I know, you're talking about the iPhone and iPod Touch.
Old 10-05-2009, 12:26 PM   #8
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But the thing is, this so called tablet is not going to be an industry killer. It won't have good enough battery life. Would it last 8 hours? Not up to, but a full 8 hours? Apple products tend to have poor battery life (for the battery powered devices). So even if this went from rumor to real, it's still out of the running (IMHO).
It's not so much the device itself that might make some publishers panic enough that they actually do something sensible about ebooks, its the combination of a device that has to look more appealing than a kindle and itunes that has them worrying because they have already seen the influence amazon has had so far even without launching outside the states.

Hopefully if anything comes of this, they will accidentally do something about the issues that most annoy their current customers such as drm, pricing and regional restrictions, but the odds are they will either do nothing or only stuff to protect themselves.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 12:29 PM   #9
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
I keep seeing things for "all day computing" out of mobile devices, people not happy with even the 6-8 hours out of some of the netbooks. I do really think we'll need something in line with how most MP3 players are, where it is somewhere like 24 hours use. Issue is, technology isn't to the point where we can really do that, and have the power to do what they want. It is doable with single use devices, but not general purpose, unless you want a big battery. I don't think people will want to have a battery as big as the rest of the device.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 01:35 PM   #10
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mores View Post
It's interesting that Apple is once again considered the driving force behind a "digital revolution". With a device that has not even been announced yet, no less.

Source: http://adage.com/mediaworks/article?article_id=139387

I sincerely hope all this will lead to iTunes-esque prices for eBooks.
I sincerely hope not. Itunes has the worst user experience of any major media managing software on the market. It does many wrong and unnecessary things.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 01:46 PM   #11
mores
Guru

While I was talking about the prices, I wonder what negative experiences you have had with iTunes.
I mean, the store is, for me, sometimes hard to navigate, and I'd prefer to be able to open multiple items simultaneously (like tabbed browsing), but once I let go of the directory structure and just let iTunes handle it all, I must say it is one of the simplest programs there is.

Last edited by mores; 10-05-2009 at 01:49 PM.
Old 10-05-2009, 01:49 PM   #12
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mores View Post
While I was talking about the prices, I wonder what negative experiences you have had with iTunes.
Here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58321
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 06:06 PM   #13
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
It just prove publishers are terrified of the Internet and terrified of ebooks. For the most part they don't trust electronic transference/storage of books.

People who are avid readers are already jumping into the ebook market, the Apple device won't get those consumers. What the Apple device (if it exists) will do, is get people who buy the device for apps/music/movies a very very good ebook reader and suddenly another 20-50 million people have a high quality ebook reader and that's a lot more potential customers.

Many people are out of the 'habit' of carrying books around. The resurgence of tablet devices might get those people back into reading.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 10:42 PM   #14
carlobee
Fanatic
carlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-books

Device: The new iPad
I never really had that much problem with iTunes. although yeah. i would prefer being able to do something like tabbed browsing. but it's still ok.

I also hope that for this tablet, if it's coming, it will have cheap prices because it's in iTunes.

carlobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 12:56 AM   #15
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Yeah, any tablet device (apple or otherwise) wouldn't be any kind of industry killer. More a niche device aimed at academics (like me), the business crowd etc. that want something they can take notes on with stylus, mark up PDFs and other documents etc. Maybe down the road when better screen and battery tech are out. But even then I think there will still be a market for cheaper and smaller dedicated readers.

As for iTunes for books, most rumors have suggest apple doesn't have an interest in selling eBooks. I suspect any tablet to just access the Kindle store and/or other stores with apps--ala the iPhone/iTouch.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote