Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-01-2009, 08:40 PM   #1
paulwoojr
paulwoojr began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
MOBI ebooks to Sony 505 Reader

I have a MacBook Pro and a Sony 505 Reader. If I purchase a mobi formatted ebook, can I download it to my MacBook Pro and use calibre to transfer it to my Sony Reader.
paulwoojr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 08:44 PM   #2
notsure
Zealot
notsure has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-350
Do you know if the book has DRM?

If it does not you can convert it to epub or lrf in calibre then transfer to your sony.

If it does, you will need to get that removed first and then do the convert/transfer.

I don't know how much people are allowed to discuss the removal of DRM here so I'm going to err on the side of caution and not say more.

Cheers.
notsure is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2009, 10:09 PM   #3
Charlotte
Charlotte began at the beginning.

Device: sony 505
I am a firm believer in open source computing, so if you have more to say, say it.
Charlotte
Charlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 02:38 AM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
The forum policies (see the Notices at the top of this forum) prohibit any detailed discussion on how to remove DRM.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 07:15 AM   #5
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
The main issue with discussing DRM is the DMCA. It has a very nasty clause that makes it illegal to show/tell someone how to circumvent DRM as well as doing it yourself. It looks like MobileRead is based in the US so it is subject to the DMCA. On a side note, that law is a major part of why Calibre doesn't support DRM.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2009, 07:33 AM   #6
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
It looks like MobileRead is based in the US so it is subject to the DMCA.
MobileRead is hosted in Canada and the owner comes from switzerland.
We don't give instructions on circumventing DRM anyway.
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 07:39 PM   #7
paulwoojr
paulwoojr began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by notsure View Post
Do you know if the book has DRM?

If it does not you can convert it to epub or lrf in calibre then transfer to your sony.

If it does, you will need to get that removed first and then do the convert/transfer.

I don't know how much people are allowed to discuss the removal of DRM here so I'm going to err on the side of caution and not say more.

Cheers.
Yes, but shouldn't the DRM unlock if I am purchasing the book?
paulwoojr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 07:46 PM   #8
notsure
Zealot
notsure has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-350
No sir, you can only read the Mobi book on the device that was registered at the time you downloaded it. And the Sony is not one of those devices.
notsure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 08:20 PM   #9
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwoojr View Post
Yes, but shouldn't the DRM unlock if I am purchasing the book?
Yes, it should! But it doesn't. Google The Darkreverser.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, macbook, mobi, sony 505