Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-17-2010, 10:52 AM   #1
exo
exo began at the beginning.

Device: none
What is this import deposit from amazon

I am in Canada and I see an import deposit on the checkout page. what is it? Is it refundable? how come there is a shipping charge even though the kindle costs more than $39 CAD?
exo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 11:00 AM   #2
Jonas777
Groupie
Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2 Intl
About import deposit: check your law book. Many countries has laws about fee on imported goods or VAT or something similar. Usually you don't see that since your store already has paid it. Maybe someone from Canada can help with a specific answer?
Jonas777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 11:17 AM   #3
Pardoz
Which side are you on?
Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 2 Int'l
Quote:
Originally Posted by exo View Post
I am in Canada and I see an import deposit on the checkout page. what is it? Is it refundable?
Customs/duty plus GST (you didn't think that just because Canada and the US have a 'free trade' agreement in place that we puny consumers wouldn't get shafted for customs duty, did you?). Sadly non-refundable (well, unless Amazon grossly overestimated the applicable duties, in which case they'll refund the difference).

Quote:
how come there is a shipping charge even though the kindle costs more than $39 CAD?
Free shipping is only on regular shipping, Kindles ship Priority. The advantage is your package is insured and trackable, the disadvantage is that it costs more.
Pardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 04:55 PM   #4
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
It is your country imposing a tax, not Amazon. And only people living in the US get free shipping. For some weird reason, Australians arent being charged - I wonder of the more expensive DX will be though - our customs are usually extremely tough.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 07:33 PM   #5
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
All sales from Amazon.com have shipping charges to Canada. The Kindle is not sold through any of the regional sites such as Amazon.ca. Shipping includes GST, etc. On the plus side, shipping is really fast -- mine arrived next day -- and that included clearing customs and having Canada Post chap knock on my door.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 10:19 PM   #6
exo
exo began at the beginning.

Device: none
I would much rather have free shipping given what they are charging for it.
exo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 11:24 AM   #7
time4mercy
time4mercy doesn't littertime4mercy doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2 Int'l
Quote:
Betcha wouldn't say that if it got lost in the mail. . .

And having Amazon charge you up front is much better than having it go through a customs broker who may charge $$$ for their services.
time4mercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 01:13 PM   #8
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'd prefer free shipping but that's not the point.

Amazon has free shipping on a regional basis. If you buy through amazon.com, it's free shipping within the US. If you buy through amazon.ca, it's free shipping within Canada. Repeat for amazon co.uk, .de, .jp etc.

The Kindle is ONLY sold through the US division and hence shipping rules apply equally. The next step is to get Amazon to start selling the Kindle regionally -- including content through amazon.ca. (Currently all content must be bought on the US site only.)
Old 01-19-2010, 03:53 PM   #9
grownupboy
Enthusiast
grownupboy has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: kindle
i was surprised that this import deposit included all brokerage fees and canadian taxes at the border. worked out much less than i thought it would!

looks like by paying in advance they're avoiding all kinds of red tape - the kindle arives virtually next day and you don't have any other expenses when the device arives. don't even sweat this one!

g
grownupboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 05:26 PM   #10
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
If I was in Canada I would attempt to make a US friend and get it shipped there! Pop over the border for a holiday to pickup. Easy.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 07:36 PM   #11
SensualPoet
Wizard

Honestly, what is wrong with just using the regular channels? Is everyone here so hard up they are trying to save $5? It's possible to order the Kindle 2 with US credit cards or ship to Wisconsin and have someone re-ship it to Canada, or declare it as a gift, or see what sort of deal you can get on Craigslist and drive to a nearby city to pick it up, etc., etc. ... or just buy it, as is, from Amazon.com and get the benefit of full warranty, delivery rules, pricing, etc.

Amazon does a pretty great job, imo, of fulfillment. And, FWIW, they sent me a US$20 refund on delivery to Canada. I bought it at 3:30 pm Nov 19 and it was handed over by a delivery person at my front door Nov 20 at 1 pm -- 22 hrs later -- in Toronto. I simply paid the charge asked for. A few weeks later I got a $20 refund. No muss, no fuss.

Really, why complicate life?