Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-08-2010, 06:09 PM   #1
Keith0603
Keith0603 began at the beginning.

Device: Windows Mobile 6.5 phone
Including book cover when adding books

I'm new to Calibre and trying to import my eBook library. My current library has all the formats of a title in a single directory. If I have a book cover, it's usually saved as "cover.jpg" in the same directory. It seems like Calibre ignores these files when doing an "Add Books".

Is there a way to have Calibre use these jpg files as the book cover on import?

Thanks!

Keith
Keith0603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 07:43 PM   #2
JWLaRue
Addict
JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (blue, of course!)
If you edit the metadata for a given book, you can import any image you want to be used as the cover image.

-Jeff
JWLaRue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 09:42 PM   #3
mezme
Connoisseur
mezme began at the beginning.

Device: PRS700
This is true... BUT for example... if I'm doing an import I usually am importing anywhere from 10 to 20 books at a time (limited budget... all purchases at one time right *lol*?)...

When I do this... I have Calibre search the directories and assume that all books in a folder is the same book / different formats. Still with me?

So... how hard would it be for the same code that imports the different formats... to also pick up a file labeled "cover.jpg" in that folder as the cover image? I realize that you can go back and edit the metadata... but for simplicity it would be an awesome feature to have. I'm curious to find out how many other folks would find that useful?
mezme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 11:59 PM   #4
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by mezme View Post
So... how hard would it be for the same code that imports the different formats... to also pick up a file labeled "cover.jpg" in that folder as the cover image?
AFAICT, calibre doesn't store anything in the database that tells it there is a cover image. It just looks to see if there is a file in the calibre library ebook directory called cover.jpg.

Since you already have the right name for the file, you could just drag the jpg into the corresponding library directory. I know it's not as easy as having the software do it, but for 20-30 books it would go fast.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 12:56 AM   #5
mezme
Connoisseur
mezme began at the beginning.

Device: PRS700
Very true --- and I have a handy script file that does all the hard work for me. Right now I have Calibre import the books and then I click on the script to move the covers over. It's a one step process.

I guess my thought was... that if Calibre is already copying files into the directory... moving the cover.jpg file would take like one line of code? and yes... I'm well aware this is a "I would like to be lazy" thought... but still... overall I could see it improving the functionality of the application. Again though... that's just my two cents.
mezme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 01:13 AM   #6
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I would suggest adding a ticket in Trac to make a feature request for this. If it really is easy it is then likely to get done.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 01:52 AM   #7
Keith0603
Keith0603 began at the beginning.

Device: Windows Mobile 6.5 phone
Oh cool! I guess I was almost there in having the filenames set to "cover.jpg". Until this is added as a feature I'll write a script to move to the correct directory after adding the books.

Thanks for all the quick responses!
Keith0603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 01:27 PM   #8
LinLin
LinLin began at the beginning.

Device: MeBook, Nook
Book Coverq

Quote:
Originally Posted by mezme View Post
Very true --- and I have a handy script file that does all the hard work for me. Right now I have Calibre import the books and then I click on the script to move the covers over. It's a one step process.

I guess my thought was... that if Calibre is already copying files into the directory... moving the cover.jpg file would take like one line of code? and yes... I'm well aware this is a "I would like to be lazy" thought... but still... overall I could see it improving the functionality of the application. Again though... that's just my two cents.
Please tell me if book covers can appear on book in my Library instead of plain brown cover? The covers are found in the file and can be retrieved under photos icon; but not on cover of book in my library.
LinLin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 01:43 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by LinLin View Post
Please tell me if book covers can appear on book in my Library instead of plain brown cover? The covers are found in the file and can be retrieved under photos icon; but not on cover of book in my library.
That is because the Cover only exists separately in Calibre and there was no cover originally within the book.

Converting (even Same format to Same format) will update non-DRM'd books that accept images (eg. TXT does not).
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 02:00 PM   #10
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith0603 View Post
I'm new to Calibre and trying to import my eBook library. My current library has all the formats of a title in a single directory. If I have a book cover, it's usually saved as "cover.jpg" in the same directory. It seems like Calibre ignores these files when doing an "Add Books".

Is there a way to have Calibre use these jpg files as the book cover on import?

Thanks!

Keith
if the format your device uses (i use mobi) stores the cover in the the same file as the rest of the book, and if you change the cover in calibre the cover won't be added to that file till you do a convert, even if it's just a same format to same format conversion.
--
Alan
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 11:35 PM   #11
LinLin
LinLin began at the beginning.

Device: MeBook, Nook
book covers

Quote:
please tell me how to get my book covers converted and transferred to my library instead of the brown books.

I have edited metadata and converted epub to epub and my covers remain in photo instead of my library.

help me please
LinLin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 12:10 AM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
please tell me how to get my book covers converted and transferred to my library instead of the brown books.

I have edited metadata and converted epub to epub and my covers remain in photo instead of my library.

help me please
Photos Icon? What photos Icon?

If the correct book cover shows in the Book Browser window, and you convert, then SEND to Device, you should have that cover.

If a Brown Cover shows in the Book Browser, you can drag a good cover onto that, Then Convert .
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
add book, book cover