Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-11-2013, 02:21 AM   #1066
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaTornado View Post
Edit: *Answered my main question with some Googling :P*

One question though, whats the Kindlet JB do? The actual jailbreak install dev certs (i think?), but not sure what the Kindlet JB is. :x And if I decide to update, do I need to remove the Kindlet JB first?
Jailbreak is for installing anything to root partition - and yes consist of nothing more than a dev-certificate. The rest is window dressing and a clever way to copy that key where it needs to go. Kindlet Jailbreak is for active content to run (and maybe break out of their sandbox? not sure on that).

FYI, next time when you ask a question, would be nice if you don't edit it out only because you found an answer. Leave the question, and say you found it and what the answer is (or where). MR is not for your benefit, it is for everybody's benefit. Somebody else with the same question and no solution would like to hear what you found out.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:23 AM   #1067
NovaTornado
NovaTornado can eat soup with a fork.NovaTornado can eat soup with a fork.NovaTornado can eat soup with a fork.NovaTornado can eat soup with a fork.NovaTornado can eat soup with a fork.NovaTornado can eat soup with a fork.NovaTornado can eat soup with a fork.NovaTornado can eat soup with a fork.NovaTornado can eat soup with a fork.NovaTornado can eat soup with a fork.NovaTornado can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kindle Touch 5.1.2
Sorry about that, I think my main question was whether either one of those type of JB's ever needs updating after initial installation. As far as I found, no.
NovaTornado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:40 AM   #1068
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
@ixtab, in thread about kindlepdfviewer there was a discussion about KPVBooklet, relying on some stock Amazon Java classes. It searches required method in class by it's signature, so it can resist to obfuscation. Maybe this way will be suitable for some of your patches.
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:44 AM   #1069
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaTornado View Post
Sorry about that, I think my main question was whether either one of those type of JB's ever needs updating after initial installation. As far as I found, no.
Normally that is correct, but sometimes you need to update - e.g after an update of the Kindle.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:11 AM   #1070
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka View Post
@ixtab, in thread about kindlepdfviewer there was a discussion about KPVBooklet, relying on some stock Amazon Java classes. It searches required method in class by it's signature, so it can resist to obfuscation. Maybe this way will be suitable for some of your patches.
Interesting idea, but it can only be applied in very specific circumstances. It's not suitable for patching classes - even if the method to be patched could be unambiguously identified (the approach only works for them because there is only one method with the given signature in the class), simply going ahead and modifying bytecode that has not been manually examined is a lot like playing russian roulette.

BTW, I am already using something (roughly) similar here.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:47 PM   #1071
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirl8 View Post
I't optional but IMHO strongly recommended. Its unintrusive, doesn't modify any menu and make it very easy to enable/configure/disable features. You simply access it as if it were an active content (it's listed together with the books). And if you try it, you will also love the margin modify feature.
Recently added the JBPatch (mostly because I could ...Thanks Ixtab!) and found that I really ,REALLY like the hypenations. It's amazing how such a little thing can make a big difference!... so now I'm tempted to try the margins: does anyone have suggested margin settings/adjustments that they like for standard mobi books? Thanks
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:05 PM   #1072
leonardo84
leonardo84 plays well with othersleonardo84 plays well with othersleonardo84 plays well with othersleonardo84 plays well with othersleonardo84 plays well with othersleonardo84 plays well with othersleonardo84 plays well with othersleonardo84 plays well with othersleonardo84 plays well with othersleonardo84 plays well with othersleonardo84 plays well with others

i upgraded to 5.3.2 and new firmware is awesome, but i realized that i cant read without jbpatch customizations =| i hope ixtab or someone gets a way to at least customize margins. And yes im no developer and cant program crap... in the meantime ill listen emo sad gay songs on youtubs =|

jbpatch i<3 u
leonardo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:46 AM   #1073
pirl8
Pest
pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KT, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSharks View Post
I'm tempted to try the margins
You really should. With margin and hyphenation you get a 20% more text on a page.

I have:
  • 10 for top margin
  • 10 for top margin offset
  • 25 for bottom margin
  • 25 for total bottom margin height
  • 15/15 for left/right margin in PDF
  • 15 for (left/right) margins in non-PDF with default words per line
  • 25 for (left/right) margins in non-PDF with fewer words per line
  • 40 for (left/right) margins in non-PDF with fewest words per line

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonardo84 View Post
i realized that i cant read without jbpatch
That's the same for me!
pirl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:07 AM   #1074
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
@pirl8 - Thanks!!
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:36 PM   #1075
skull43
Enthusiast
skull43 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.skull43 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.skull43 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.skull43 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.skull43 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.skull43 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.skull43 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.skull43 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.skull43 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.skull43 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.skull43 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

en la biblioteca de mi ciudad Amamos jbpatch!!!!
yo me encargue personalmente (como encargado) de instalarlo.. es genial que exista gente como tu!
tenemos libre uso de kindles
skull43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:37 PM   #1076
skull43
Enthusiast
skull43 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.skull43 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.skull43 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.skull43 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.skull43 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.skull43 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.skull43 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.skull43 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.skull43 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.skull43 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.skull43 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

luego subo algunas fotos
skull43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:54 PM   #1077
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by skull43 View Post
en la biblioteca de mi ciudad Amamos jbpatch!!!!
yo me encargue personalmente (como encargado) de instalarlo.. es genial que exista gente como tu!
tenemos libre uso de kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by skull43 View Post
luego subo algunas fotos
English is the standard language in this forum. There are other forums at MobileRead for other languages. Please repost in English, or use a non-English forum. Thanks.

Meanwhile, here are Google Translations from Spanish:
Quote:
in the library of my city jbpatch love!!
I personally handle (as manager) to install .. there's great people like you!
Quote:
then upload some photos
Here is the Spanish forum, if you prefer using your native language here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=161

And here is the Spanish Kindle sub-forum:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=252

You may be able to obtain more assistance in this English language forum than in the smaller Spanish forum, but feel free to use both forums.

Last edited by geekmaster; 01-13-2013 at 02:04 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:33 AM   #1078
sabonis
sabonis can eat soup with a fork.sabonis can eat soup with a fork.sabonis can eat soup with a fork.sabonis can eat soup with a fork.sabonis can eat soup with a fork.sabonis can eat soup with a fork.sabonis can eat soup with a fork.sabonis can eat soup with a fork.sabonis can eat soup with a fork.sabonis can eat soup with a fork.sabonis can eat soup with a fork.

Device: paperwhite(japan)
Can't install JBPatch

My KPW(5.3.1) is bought from japan.
I followed the step described in the README file.
But after I put update_jbpatch_3.1.0_fw531_install.bin on the device,
I found menu/settings, menu/update your kindle option was grayed out
Any help please
thanks
sabonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:23 PM   #1079
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
well assuming that you did transfer if over USB... and then eject?

Did you do that - or SSH it onto the device?
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:40 PM   #1080
sabonis
sabonis can eat soup with a fork.sabonis can eat soup with a fork.sabonis can eat soup with a fork.sabonis can eat soup with a fork.sabonis can eat soup with a fork.sabonis can eat soup with a fork.sabonis can eat soup with a fork.sabonis can eat soup with a fork.sabonis can eat soup with a fork.sabonis can eat soup with a fork.sabonis can eat soup with a fork.

Device: paperwhite(japan)
uhh~ I tried two of following
1. eject device -> plug out usb connector
2. plug out directly
same result (update is unclickable)

I didn't try ssh, cos I don't know how to do that by ssh
but I did know how to ssh to my KPW device.

I've tried many times to reset the device and reinstall KPW 5.3.1FW,
and follow the step in the README all over again and again and again and ...

If there are any information I left to show u , please tell me
Thank you!

Last edited by sabonis; 01-14-2013 at 01:48 PM.
sabonis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jbpatch, kindle touch hacks