Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-28-2010, 04:28 PM   #31
penguintri
Enthusiast
penguintri began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite 2
cheers man thats cool only 65g difference thats not too much!
penguintri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 08:22 PM   #32
xmiyux
Enthusiast
xmiyux doesn't litterxmiyux doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3
I like the cover. I debated over the price a bit before hand but ultimately decided that I really like the fact that no matter where I am reading there is always a charged light at hand.

I wondered how hard it was going to pull on the battery of the Kindle and am glad to see some data on the thing. I suppose if I have to charge it once every two weeks I will be fine. As it stands I only really use the light for in bed - so maybe 45 minutes each night - so it should be manageable.
xmiyux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 09:26 AM   #33
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I had a chance to use the light last night, and I have to say that I love it! It's very cleverly constructed; the light from the three LCDs is shielded so that it doesn't fall directly onto the screen, but instead illuminates the wide metal "stalk" of the light. This in turn illuminates the screen, resulting in a nice even illumination without "highlights". Yes, there obviously is a fall-off in illumination from top right (where the light is) to bottom left, but not so much that it's a problem. I think it's a very clever piece of engineering indeed.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 12:40 PM   #34
coolbreeze
Addict
coolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with others

Device: Nook Color, White 3G K3
After a few days (OP here) I decided to hand on to it. If my mind changes at day 29, I'm still good...although it's growing on me!
coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 01:49 PM   #35
MsAstoria
Evangelist
MsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle Fire HDX, iPhone (yes, I read on my phone)
Quote:
Originally Posted by schulzmc View Post
Here are some facts about the battery drain from the cover. From the "Blog Kindle" review:

Buy doing some simple math we can calculate average current drains of about 2.4 mA with wireless completely off, 3.5 mA when running on WiFi and 7.3 mA when running on 3G + WiFi.

Many people are wondering about what would cover with built-in LED light do to the battery life. Luckily I had a digital multimeter and a piece of wire handy so I was able to measure the drain current of the cover as well. It turned out to be 76.6 milliamperes. This by an order a magnitude larger than what Kindle 3 consumes even with wireless on. So with LED light on battery life is going to be between 20.85 and 22.15 hours of constant reading. This is about twice as long as 10 hour battery life of Apple iPad.
Oh give it up on the iPad! They are two totally different products! Frankly I doubt that anyone is going to be reading a constant 20+ hours but I see your point for when there is no electrical outlet to recharge daily. I bought this case for my hubby's new K3 as I remember what a pain it was not only to remember to bring my Mighty Bright, and then drag it out of the bottom of my my purse to clip on my K2. It definately added top weight and I was constantly adjusting the light. I love the idea of this case and he will have whenever he feels the need to use the light. I used mine mostly when we went to the movie theater and we would read while waiting for the movie trailers etc to begin.
MsAstoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 06:40 PM   #36
WilliamG
Addict
WilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I had a chance to use the light last night, and I have to say that I love it! It's very cleverly constructed; the light from the three LCDs is shielded so that it doesn't fall directly onto the screen, but instead illuminates the wide metal "stalk" of the light. This in turn illuminates the screen, resulting in a nice even illumination without "highlights". Yes, there obviously is a fall-off in illumination from top right (where the light is) to bottom left, but not so much that it's a problem. I think it's a very clever piece of engineering indeed.
It's really not a clever piece of engineering, since it doesn't work properly. If Amazon had let the light come out of the center of the case at the top rather than the top right corner (what WERE they thinking??), it would have a winner on its hands.

Anyway, hopefully some third-party manufacturer comes out with a decent clip-on light, since Amazon failed with their attempt, for sure. It would be one thing if the light fall-off was horizontal, but it's diagonal, and HARD, and ever so distracting!

No thanks.

(If I sound bitter, it's because I am. I spent $60 + tax on it.)

Last edited by WilliamG; 08-29-2010 at 06:50 PM.
WilliamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 09:22 PM   #37
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post
It's really not a clever piece of engineering, since it doesn't work properly. If Amazon had let the light come out of the center of the case at the top rather than the top right corner (what WERE they thinking??), it would have a winner on its hands.

Anyway, hopefully some third-party manufacturer comes out with a decent clip-on light, since Amazon failed with their attempt, for sure. It would be one thing if the light fall-off was horizontal, but it's diagonal, and HARD, and ever so distracting!

No thanks.

Bitter? What a strange reaction. Just return the d***ed thing.

Last edited by Skydog; 08-29-2010 at 09:31 PM. Reason: Typo
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 10:10 PM   #38
flandroid
Connoisseur
flandroid has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flandroid has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flandroid has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2/3/4/PW3
With all the engineering they put into the baffles and reflectors in the light head, there's no reason they couldn't have worked it so there was a bit of occlusion in the area lighting the top right corner, then gradually less towards the bottom, to give it a nearly perfectly even cast -- at least perceptually. It needn't even have cost any more to produce, just a tiny bit more engineer time.

Glad I ordered the unlit cover; my Belkin clip-on cost me $10, has two brightness levels, and fits the K3 just fine. Wish it was dark plastic instead of white, but that's easy enough to fix.
flandroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 02:15 AM   #39
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
If you don't like it, you should of course return it; personally I think it works very well indeed.
Old 08-30-2010, 03:56 AM   #40
AdrianM
Connoisseur
AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: nook, K3
Quote:

No thanks.

Given my recent posts on how I think the Nook is an awful piece in engineering because of reflectivity and glare issues I can sympathise, but personal preference really has a lot to do with it. I guess that in their testing, Amazon found the majority of people were satisfied with the light coverage.

Yes, I also think they probably could have engineered the light so it diffused over the entire screen more evenly and it's a pity that they didn't but, as far as I'm concerned, it still works adequately as is and any downsides are certainly made up for by the fact that it is built in and doesn't need its own batteries.

But I fully understand that some people, and I've seen more than a few posting here and there, will find it distracting and/or unusable.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 10:58 AM   #41
kathyfitz
Electronics Whore
kathyfitz doesn't litterkathyfitz doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad, iPad mini, iPhone5, Kindle3
I finally got to use the lighted cover last night and was very impressed!! I thought the coverage was very good, the drop off in the lower corner was minimal. I had tested it with low light earlier and felt like it evened out the overall lighting very nicely. But last night I used it with no other light and was quite happy with the results! For me, it was definitely worth the money!
kathyfitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 11:28 AM   #42
ylsul
Connoisseur
ylsul is on a distinguished road

I also have the lighted case. I find the light to be fine for reading. The throw of the light is fine, at least for me.

I *do* wish the case was maybe a little smaller and lighter, but I can live with that.
ylsul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 11:35 AM   #43
wachuko
eBook Worm
wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/ Sony PRS-505/PRS-600 Silver/PRS-T1
From your photos it actually looks great... perfect for when I am on a plane for those 8+ hour long trips and do not want to bother the person sitting next to me...

If I go with the K3 for my next reader (waiting on what Sony will come out with) I will order one with the lighted cover.
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 12:22 PM   #44
Mike 01Hawk
Enthusiast
Mike 01Hawk doesn't litterMike 01Hawk doesn't litter

Device: K3 Wifi Graphite :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flandroid View Post
Glad I ordered the unlit cover; my Belkin clip-on cost me $10, has two brightness levels, and fits the K3 just fine. Wish it was dark plastic instead of white, but that's easy enough to fix.
Is this the model you're talking about? It's listed @ $25, where'd ya get it for $10?

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Reading.../dp/B003HKRVAW
Mike 01Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 01:07 PM   #45
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

But does your Belkin light automatically tuen if when you fall asleep, like the Kindle light does? That's one of its niftiest features; the light turns off when the Kindle goes into sleep mode.