Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 09-04-2009, 11:42 AM   #46
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwsheets View Post
Is this firmware for the 5" or 6" device? I went to the EZReader site and I don't see a new firmware release.
It is for the 6" Hanlin V3, and is currently only at astak.com (http://www.astak.com/download/Astak_..._10_090109.rar).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 12:00 PM   #47
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Well, the hyperlink bug should never have happened in the first place. That's just beyond poor QA.
Somewhat like the RTF bug with Sony's 500 not supporting TOCs or images. But since it was Sony, it seemed like I was the only one who complained about it.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2009, 05:10 PM   #48
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have just tried the 2009-09-01 EZ Reader Basic firmware. It does fix two ePub problems: a) page number was getting bigger as the font size was made larger, and b) images were getting larger (bigger than the sceen) as the font size was increased. As was said previously, it does not add hyperlink support to ePubs. It also replaces the original 5 ePub fonts sizes with 4 font sizes. The new smallest font size is even smaller than before, the 2nd font is the same as the original smallest font, and the largest font (the 4th font) is now smaller than the 2nd font size previously. In my opinion, the fonts are now much too small.

I don't know why getting the fonts right is so hard. Sony has 5 font sizes for its PRS-700 and PRS-600, and Sony ebook library shows these sizes on a Windows PC or a Mac. See the attached screenshots. The largest on the Sony is about the original Jinke 4th size and the smallest on the Sony is about the new Jinke 3rd size. The Sony font sizes may not be optimal, but they are better than the Hanlin options so far.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Doyle_Sony1.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	250.6 KB
ID:	35587   Click image for larger version

Name:	Doyle_Sony2.jpg
Views:	430
Size:	196.6 KB
ID:	35588   Click image for larger version

Name:	Doyle_Sony3.jpg
Views:	366
Size:	167.1 KB
ID:	35589   Click image for larger version

Name:	Doyle_Sony4.jpg
Views:	363
Size:	128.8 KB
ID:	35590   Click image for larger version

Name:	Doyle_Sony5.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	35591  
Old 09-07-2009, 05:35 PM   #49
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
I have not figured that out either; I would suggest giving the user the control and letting us set a percentage for the fonts. But I have to say the epubs that I have created by converting them using calibre looks much better than when you buy a epub that has DRM.

Chuck
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 05:40 PM   #50
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Does this, or will it, have any relevance to the Pocket Pro?
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2009, 05:50 PM   #51
Lbooker
Addict
Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
I have just tried the 2009-09-01 EZ Reader Basic firmware. It does fix two ePub problems: a) page number was getting bigger as the font size was made larger, and b) images were getting larger (bigger than the sceen) as the font size was increased. As was said previously, it does not add hyperlink support to ePubs. It also replaces the original 5 ePub fonts sizes with 4 font sizes. The new smallest font size is even smaller than before, the 2nd font is the same as the original smallest font, and the largest font (the 4th font) is now smaller than the 2nd font size previously. In my opinion, the fonts are now much too small.

I don't know why getting the fonts right is so hard. Sony has 5 font sizes for its PRS-700 and PRS-600, and Sony ebook library shows these sizes on a Windows PC or a Mac. See the attached screenshots. The largest on the Sony is about the original Jinke 4th size and the smallest on the Sony is about the new Jinke 3rd size. The Sony font sizes may not be optimal, but they are better than the Hanlin options so far.
Three of the Sony font sizes look too big for normal eyes. I tried a pdf file with this latest Astak firmware and the font sizes were the same as in the other recent firmwares from other vendors. I did not try epub. But I tend to disagree with you: I want more font sizes between size 1 and size 2. They should give people the choice between at least ten font sizes, to make everybody happy.
Lbooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 06:02 PM   #52
wallcraft
reader

I also tried the PDF on the new firmware. The PDF font sizes have changed, but not as much as the ePub font sizes. Now font size 4 is the old font size 3, and font size 5 is smaller than the old font size 4. I did not have much problem with the original PDF sizes, which were better than the ePub sizes, but the new ones are ok. I would prefer the largest size to be the same as the old 4 but otherwise this is good.

I agree, though, that a lot of these issues would go away if there were 8 font sizes.
Old 09-08-2009, 01:20 AM   #53
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
I just upgraded the firmware. Saw no improvement at all on font sizes for pdf's, nor any improvement with reflow. I must admit I'm disappointed.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 01:44 AM   #54
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Quote:

Wallcraft, I'm guessing that the problem may be related to another discovery of yours. You noted that a given size is fixed in the number of pixels not in the actual measured size. I believe that Jinke uses the same firmware for the ppro and the V3. This means that a font that is perfect for the V3 would be 20 percent too small on the V5. As a result, I think they are trying to jigger the set of fonts so that it covers an acceptable range on both readers.

MLH
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 01:50 AM   #55
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Don't know if all of you folks are keeping track of the Hanlin thread, but the very latest version of the Bebook firmware includes a search function. Hopefully this will migrate to the Astak version soon.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55884

MLH
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 12:38 PM   #56
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:

I agree, they go from one extreme to the other. Why can't they find a middle ground. This looks like something that Astak may have don't themselves as it is not released on the Jinke site. I have noticed a similar release of the Bebook so perhaps it is a trial balloon. I haven't tried the bebook one to see if it is as bad.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 12:41 PM   #57
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
I also tried the PDF on the new firmware. The PDF font sizes have changed, but not as much as the ePub font sizes. Now font size 4 is the old font size 3, and font size 5 is smaller than the old font size 4. I did not have much problem with the original PDF sizes, which were better than the ePub sizes, but the new ones are ok. I would prefer the largest size to be the same as the old 4 but otherwise this is good.

I agree, though, that a lot of these issues would go away if there were 8 font sizes.

Or provide the ability for the user to specify what 4 sizes they want. There needs to be some consistency between the various readers on the device and have a user specified option that was used by them all would be a plus. Every format works differently now.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 11:51 PM   #58
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Unless the body font is specified in a specific size, what you get from increasing the size will be based on the size as defined in the ePub. Given what I've read in another thread it sounds like 150% is very much needed.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote