Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-09-2008, 11:06 AM   #1
yunti
Enthusiast
yunti began at the beginning.

Device: None
Iliad vs Upcoming Readers

I'm currently thinking about buying the Irex Iliad v2 but I'm unsure whether to hold off for one of the upcoming models as there seems to be a lot coming out in 2009.

Note taking and connectivity (wifi or alternative) are pretty much essential for me. So I'm only interested in readers that have this.

I'm had a look at the ereader matrix but there seems to be discussion in some of the threads regarding other models not mentioned on the matrix ( eg astak mentor has several models coming out).

Does anyone know of what upcoming models there are that have these features?

Many thanks
yunti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 12:09 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I have not found the WiFi capability of the iLiad v2 to be very useful. If you do go this route, make sure it has the functionality you want before buying. The DR1000WS will probably have better WiFi connectivity, but it is always hard to judge this before a device is actually available.

The only other device we are sure about is March for EZ Reader PRO with WiFi and a touchscreen. See two of Robertb's posts from the thread Astak Mentor eBook readers with WiFi and Touchscreen options: #992 and #1024. This will be demonstrated at CES in Las Vegas on January 8 - 11, 2009. Since this is a Hanlin V3 variant (i.e. a 6" screen), there will be other resellers outside the US.

The reason than Jinkie can have a touchscreen on a Hanlin is because PVI is finally making them. So, expect other devices in the Spring/Summer next year. PVI is also expected to make 9.7" screens in this time frame.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2008, 01:34 PM   #3
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
I kind of went through the same exercise, but 2 things made me go with the iLiad Book Edition:

1. The screen/device size was the optimum, IMO, for book-reading - 6" felt too small, 10" seemed like it would be too big. Why only one 8" is on the market and none in the pipeline, bewilders me.

2. The Astak products were supposed to be on the market this past November - even their site still said that. But when I called, it was Spring or Summer. But based on past estimates, I figured I might be in for a long wait.

So I went ahead and got the iLiad

Not saying it's the best for everyone, but I like it.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 06:33 AM   #4
yunti
Enthusiast
yunti began at the beginning.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
I have not found the WiFi capability of the iLiad v2 to be very useful. If you do go this route, make sure it has the functionality you want before buying. The DR1000WS will probably have better WiFi connectivity, but it is always hard to judge this before a device is actually available.

The only other device we are sure about is March for EZ Reader PRO with WiFi and a touchscreen. See two of Robertb's posts from the thread Astak Mentor eBook readers with WiFi and Touchscreen options: #992 and #1024. This will be demonstrated at CES in Las Vegas on January 8 - 11, 2009. Since this is a Hanlin V3 variant (i.e. a 6" screen), there will be other resellers outside the US.

The reason than Jinkie can have a touchscreen on a Hanlin is because PVI is finally making them. So, expect other devices in the Spring/Summer next year. PVI is also expected to make 9.7" screens in this time frame.
Thanks for your replies.
Is the DR1000WS available soon? (Although it may be a bit too big for my use).

EZ Reader Pro seems to be based on the Hanlin v3 (is this correct) in which case it will most likely be too small for what I need .

There seems to be a Hanlin v9 coming out with a 9.7inch screen and also another reader from Astak Mentor with a 9.7 inch screen. (Are these based on the same screen?). Will either of these have touch capability (full touch - "scribble" like the Irex and not like the PRS-700) and wireless?
Any word on release dates?

Thanks
yunti is offline   Reply With Quote